Troy Aikman reveals he almost came out of retirement to play for the Miami Dolphins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Troy Aikman reveals he almost came out of retirement to play for the Miami Dolphins

Remembering hearing at the time the Dolphins trying to lure Barry Sanders out of retirement to come play with Marino and make one last push together for a Super Bowl ring. But they were unsuccessful and Marino retired.

Barry would confirm that rumor years later.

He may have been the one RB that Marino would've actually hand off to enough to be successful.

He may have been the one RB that Marino would've actually hand off to enough to be successful.

Marino: "Tight Trips Left 52 Choice T-Wheel.....on 2....ready break"

Barry: "Nah man, let's run it."

Marino: "We're throwing it here Barry"

Barry: "We need to run it here. I can make all 11 of their defenders miss. Twice."

Marino: "God dammit Barry. I liked you better when you were in Detroit".

Ok I think you guys are short sighted. Aikman was not great but we’re talking about upgrading Jay Fiedler and Ray Lucas. To me its an obvious upgrade. if we were talking about bringing in a QB to carry us to the playoffs I'd agree 100% but that is what Ricky was for. We lost 2 games were Ricky had 180, and 200 yards rushing due to incompetence at QB.

I liked Fiedler, to some extent, but Aikman is an obvious upgrade and yes those defenses did choke a lot but with better offensive play who knows.

I don't think Aikman was an upgrade on Fiedler before his injury that year. That offense was just flat out incredible at times and Fiedler, with his fiery play and energy, was the right guy to lead a run-first team. That team lost a lot of mojo by the terrible sequence of Fiedler's and pretty much every receiver's injuries. Aikman, who was old and had only been used to playing with top shelf talent for years, wasn't the guy to stand in front of a tidal wave and stop it. The season also ended with Chris Carter dropping a pass that lost us the Vikings game and the defense blowing a big lead against the Pats.

That season doesn't happen that way if Jay doesn't get injured if his backup didn't provide the flat our worst QB play I've ever seen from a QB who wasn't benched immediately.

Marino: "Tight Trips Left 52 Choice T-Wheel.....on 2....ready break"

Barry: "Nah man, let's run it."

Marino: "We're throwing it here Barry"

Barry: "We need to run it here. I can make all 11 of their defenders miss. Twice."

Marino: "God dammit Barry. I liked you better when you were in Detroit".

Too bad Marino had Sammy Smith....

I remember that however Troy was never all that good. He had a great team around him. He wasn’t a QB that could carry a team. You put Marino on that Cowboys team and they would have never lost.
It’s funny. One thinks of him as a HOF QB - then go look at his career stats. They are not good - even playing on great teams. Weird.

Remembering hearing at the time the Dolphins trying to lure Barry Sanders out of retirement to come play with Marino and make one last push together for a Super Bowl ring. But they were unsuccessful and Marino retired.

Barry would confirm that rumor years later.
I think the only one hung that actually held that up was the Lions holding Barry’s rights and wanted a fortune for him

both rumors are old old, i think they had it up on the scroll in NY on NYE about Barry Sanders rumor IIRC...thats been alot of years and a lot of beers, but thinking I'm correct on that. I always thought Aikmen was over rated, just great for a great team, same with Emmit. Sanders still had a ton left in his tank, Aikman was done by the time we wouldve tried to coax him out of retirement.

it would've just been one of those pushes we made in i believe it was 95 where we had like a zillion former first round picks on our team from other squads i believe. (wiki'ed it cause i typed 94 at first), 3 QB's, 1 FB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 OL, 3 DL, 1 LB, 3 DBs, (17...a 1/3rd of our friggin roster was 1st round picks).

both rumors are old old, i think they had it up on the scroll in NY on NYE about Barry Sanders rumor IIRC...thats been alot of years and a lot of beers, but thinking I'm correct on that. I always thought Aikmen was over rated, just great for a great team, same with Emmit. Sanders still had a ton left in his tank, Aikman was done by the time we wouldve tried to coax him out of retirement.

it would've just been one of those pushes we made in i believe it was 95 where we had like a zillion former first round picks on our team from other squads i believe. (wiki'ed it cause i typed 94 at first), 3 QB's, 1 FB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 OL, 3 DL, 1 LB, 3 DBs, (17...a 1/3rd of our friggin roster was 1st round picks).
Most of them past their prime though. It was a last ditch effort.

Back
Top Bottom