Tua Contract Negotiations Start | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Contract Negotiations Start

Please ignore me. My God it was a simple question. I do not need to get alerts and comments from little babies that have nutties over dispassionate and simple questions. So yes I accept your offer please put me in your ignore list !
It's absolutely a stupid question. You are basically asking if posters would be willing to take Tua at the minimum amount possible to retain him. Every single poster on here would say yes to that, I dont understand the point of even asking it. The debate is more about the actual minimum amout needed to keep him, and there is not one person on this forum who has a clue what the answer to that question is so why even talk about it. Let's say he signs for $45M. Are you going to come on here and say he would have signed for less so we lost the negotiation or something?

Honestly, what point are you trying to make by asking this question over and over again. I truly want to know. What is your point?

Interesting thoughts so far guys. A couple quick clarifications...

The term "market value" essentially refers to the auction price of a commodity going to the highest bidder--what a "market" decides it will pay for a product based on it's value (of which there are multiple types: practical, psychological, monetary, social, etc.) as well as it's scarcity.

An auction is not a great analogy for the hiring process. Thankfully, employees are not auctioned off to the highest bidder here in the United States of Freedom. 😄

Confusing a negotiation with an auction is a mistake. The highest bidder is not assured to win Tua's favor.

It's important to keep in mind that applicants compare and evaluate employment offers based on a lot more than just base salary. Location is important for normal folks but maybe more universal is the likelihood of future success, the accomplishment of future goals and the ability one has to ensure the quality of people they'll be surrounded with.

These are all important factors because they'll determine the size of the next contract! ;)

Miami should have huge advantages in this area in both coaching and system. Thus the Dolphins shouldn't have to come in as the highest bidder. There's a whole network of coaches, players and plays already in place in Miami making the Dolphins a much more comfortable offense compared with virtually anyone else in the NFL.

No other team has this kind of Tua-friendly offense already in place and ready to go. Presumably the relationship between Tua and McDaniel is also a positive one. And that's all not to mention that Tua already lives in Miami and I'm sure he places some (comparatively small) value on not having to uproot his family if he doesn't absolutely have to.

It's also worth pointing out that there's no "market" until January 2025 when Tua formally hits FA.

Up to that point, any deal negotiated between Tua and the Dolphins is entirely dependent on the two sides coming together to "make up" a price that works for both of them before any other offers come into the picture.

Hopefully this all convinces you that terms like "market value" maybe aren't the best ones for this negotiation. 🙂

In the end, it's really in both parties best interest to get a deal done and that's probably the biggest reason to believe that it'll happen and that both sides will be flexible. Tua won't be too stubborn but the Dolphins won't flinch at the price either. He wants a strong infrastructure and they want a reliable QB. Getting a deal done now (as opposed to 2025) actually ensures Miami will pay slightly less--so that should make the fans happy, too.

Getting something done now has value for Tua as opposed to the Dolphins making him wait. Of course it's also true that not only will Tua take less today versus some amount he's forced to wait on but also, the Dolphins will have less negotiating power when Tua gets to formally negotiate with other teams in 2025.

So I look forward to this whole thing resolving itself. I'm anxious to see what the commitment is from both sides.

Last edited:
It's absolutely a stupid question. You are basically asking if posters would be willing to take Tua at the minimum amount possible to retain him. Every single poster on here would say yes to that, I dont understand the point of even asking it. The debate is more about the actual minimum amout needed to keep him, and there is not one person on this forum who has a clue what the answer to that question is so why even talk about it. Let's say he signs for $45M. Are you going to come on here and say he would have signed for less so we lost the negotiation or something?

Honestly, what point are you trying to make by asking this question over and over again. I truly want to know. What is your point?

Can’t you see? It is such a simple question. Yes or no?

Animated GIF

/sarcasm

Interesting thoughts so far guys. A couple quick clarifications...

The term "market value" essentially refers to the auction price of a commodity going to the highest bidder--what a "market" decides it will pay for a product based on it's value (of which there are multiple types: practical, psychological, monetary, social, etc.) as well as it's scarcity.

An auction is not a great analogy for the hiring process. Thankfully, employees are not auctioned off to the highest bidder here in the United States of Freedom. 😄

Confusing a negotiation with an auction is a mistake. The highest bidder is not assured to win Tua's favor.

It's important to keep in mind that applicants compare and evaluate employment offers based on a lot more than just base salary. Location is important for normal folks but maybe more universal is the likelihood of future success, the accomplishment of future goals and the ability one has to ensure the quality of people they'll be surrounded with.

These are all important factors because they'll determine the size of the next contract! ;)

Miami should have huge advantages in this area in both coaching and system. Thus the Dolphins shouldn't have to come in as the highest bidder. There's a whole network of coaches, players and plays already in place in Miami making the Dolphins a much more comfortable offense compared with virtually anyone else in the NFL.

No other team has this kind of Tua-friendly offense already in place and ready to go. Presumably the relationship between Tua and McDaniel is also a positive one. And that's all not to mention that Tua already lives in Miami and I'm sure he places some (comparatively small) value on not having to uproot his family if he doesn't absolutely have to.

It's also worth pointing out that there's no "market" until January 2025 when Tua formally hits FA.

Up to that point, any deal negotiated between Tua and the Dolphins is entirely dependent on the two sides coming together to "make up" a price that works for both of them before any other offers come into the picture.

Hopefully this all convinces you that terms like "market value" maybe aren't the best ones for this negotiation. 🙂

In the end, it's really in both parties best interest to get a deal done and that's probably the biggest reason to believe that it'll happen and that both sides will be flexible. Tua won't be too stubborn but the Dolphins won't flinch at the price either. He wants a strong infrastructure and they want a reliable QB.

Getting a deal done now (as opposed to 2025) actually ensures Miami will pay slightly less--so that should make the fans happy, too. Getting something done now has value for Tua as opposed to the Dolphins making him wait. Of course it's also true that not only will Tua take less today versus some amount he's forced to wait on but also, the Dolphins will have less negotiating power when Tua gets to formally negotiate with other teams in 2025.
Trust me, tuas agent can quickly put together a "market value" calculation based on other QB deals around the league.

I do agree there's more to it than just offering the highest price but you can 100% determine a market value for a player before he actually goes to market.

5 year 240 170 guaranteed is my guess. Makes him 6th highest aav and 7th highest guaranteed money. Put him right between Hurts and Kyler.

It's compelling to wonder about a world where QB prices get so high teams start letting franchise QBs walk but we're not there yet and at this point keeping your organizational structure continuous is more important than a few million in salary for the QB.

Almost everyone at QB seems overpaid relative to their contribution these days. We can cheat the system for a couple years before Tua's deal looks bad just like so many teams have done before. We'll be happy for a couple years and then suffer a bit of the consequences when the big money comes due. Even if just symbolic, the idea of him taking 20% of the salary cap is disgusting to all fans, but what are you going to do? You're going to use the 21st overall pick to start over?

I get the idea that it would be utopia if Miami somehow had a CJ Stroud or something to build around for the next 4 years but we don't and the punishment for hitting on a QB is you don't have a top pick to use on a replacement. Even though QB salaries are ridiculous, teams still believe they're ultimately better off paying those prices even when the team isn't where it wants to be: Herbert, Murray, etc. They pay it even when they haven't secured a title: Burrow, Allen, Hurts, etc.

The value of a franchise QB is that they give you a 15-year window. Hopefully that's enough.

I believe we're coming to the point where some clubs may try that. I suspect the Steelers are starting that right now.

1) Pay a vet a short-term contract.

2) Take a flier on a "failed prospect"

3) Draft a mid/late round QB every year. Every year...until one pans out.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Last edited:
Why do people sound like they want tua to get the most money possible? Are people fans of tua or the team? If you are a fan of the team, you should want them to retain the player for the least amount of money possible. That means more money to add talent to the roster in other places, and a better team. Yet I get the sense there are many that are rooting for Tua over team?

I can't imagine why your threads continually go South.

You post a thread, then when the answers don't go like you want them to, you paint everyone with a broad brush and yes, you cause divisiveness.

Just a thought: Maybe people sound that way to you and you sense that people are rooting for Tua over team because the discourse isn't going exactly as you planned.

I predict Tua's contract will be for a lot of money. :chuckle: Some will say it was a good deal for all concerned and some will say it was too much. :munch:

Love him or hate him, Tua is our franchise QB and the face of the team for the next several seasons. Enjoy the ride or get the hell out of Dodge.

Tank for the next QB. Griers legacy is tied to Tua’s success however so no surprise he will receiving the extension
Your inane goofy ramblings are good for comic relief anyway. I guess you take yourself seriously but I doubt any sensible members of this forum do. :lol:

You post a thread, then when the answers don't go like you want them to, you paint everyone with a broad brush and yes, you cause divisiveness.

Just a thought: Maybe people sound that way to you and you sense that people are rooting for Tua over team because the discourse isn't going exactly as you

Just a thought: Maybe people sound that way to you and you sense that people are rooting for Tua over team because the discourse isn't going exactly as you planned.
Not sure what thread you are referring to. If it is my question contained within this thread that you are referring to, why can't you just answer the question? Let me make it simple for you. If the dolphins can get tua for 50mm per year, why would you want them to pay him 55mm per year? This question is divisive only to those who are fans of tua over team, and who are highly emotional, and have a tendency to moralize and personalize things. If you can answer the simple question, please do.

Not sure what thread you are referring to. If it is my question contained within this thread that you are referring to, why can't you just answer the question? Let me make it simple for you. If the dolphins can get tua for 50mm per year, why would you want them to pay him 55mm per year? This question is divisive only to those who are fans of tua over team, and who are highly emotional, and have a tendency to moralize and personalize things. If you can answer the simple question, please do.

Not one person here is saying they want Tua for 55 if he can be had for 50. No one here knows what the number will be. What we do know is the number it WILL take to keep Tua is the number that both parties agree to. Now can you stop rambling on with your bullshit? It’s a simple question. Yes or no?

Back
Top Bottom