Tua Fires Agent Signs New One | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Fires Agent Signs New One

phinsforlife

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
This is interesting. On the one hand, not uncommon for a player to switch agents. On the other hand, not sure why now with Tua (new deal is not imminent) and what would cause the rift? Leigh Steinberg who he fired is very well reputed too. Is Tua expecting the Dolphins to use the 5th year option? Thinks it is the agents fault if the Dolphins don't? Agent doesn't control the concussions or the Dolphins reaction to them. The timing just seems a bit odd, unless there is a personality rift between the two parties. But not sure why that would have developed now either when there shouldn't be much in the way of negotiations. Maybe he just wants a new underwear deal like Brady? https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/06/tua-tagovailoa-makes-agent-change/

Last edited:
This is interesting. On the one hand, not uncommon for a player to switch agents. On the other hand, not sure why now with Tua and what would cause the rift? Is he expecting the Dolphins to use the 5th year option? Thinks it is the agents fault if the Dolphins don't? Agent doesn't control the concussions or the Dolphins reaction to them. The timing just seems a bit odd, unless there is a personality rift between the two parties. But not sure why that would have developed now either: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/06/tua-tagovailoa-makes-agent-change/
Could be one of a hundred possible reasons. Maybe wants some one more experienced or a better negotiator. Don't hear of players doing this, but it would make sense. With the rookie deals for 1st rounders pretty much slotted in a range based on where you're selected, I don't see the point of paying for a higher costing agent until the rookie deal is close to being completed. I mean if I'm just getting my oil checked, why go to an expensive mechanic when a cheap one would do the trick for that job. Then once you're ready to start dealing with the engine or transmission then you pay extra to bring in a higher grade mechanic.

I would never give Tua big Guaranteed Money until he stays Healthy and Starts winning the Big time games

This could set us back for the foreseeable future if we jump the gun before he proves he’s healthy long term.
Tua needs to quit missing so many games.

I am pulling hard for Tua, but being realistic. LFG Miami 🐬🏈💪

This is interesting. On the one hand, not uncommon for a player to switch agents. On the other hand, not sure why now with Tua (new deal is not imminent) and what would cause the rift? Leigh Steinberg who he fired is very well reputed too. Is Tua expecting the Dolphins to use the 5th year option? Thinks it is the agents fault if the Dolphins don't? Agent doesn't control the concussions or the Dolphins reaction to them. The timing just seems a bit odd, unless there is a personality rift between the two parties. But not sure why that would have developed now either when there shouldn't be much in the way of negotiations: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/06/tua-tagovailoa-makes-agent-change/
I heard somewhere that the idea was to expand his brand into commercials, repping products, etc. Steinberg is good with football, not so much marketing outside of football.

I have no idea how accurate that is, just what I heard on one of the talking head shows

Last edited:
The agent probably told him a little too much truth, that Tua didn't want to hear. Namely, there is no big money extension coming until you stay healthy and prove to be more than what he has shown.

I would never give Tua big Guaranteed Money until he stays Healthy and Starts winning the Big time games

This could set us back for the foreseeable future if we jump the gun before he proves he’s healthy long term.
Tua needs to quit missing so many games.

I am pulling hard for Tua, but being realistic. LFG Miami 🐬🏈💪
You could be onto something here. As much as I hate to admit he could be one hit away from being forced to hang it up.

I think Tua knows this as well and wants to cash in now on endorsements while the getting is good. 100 💯💯 pure speculation on my part.

Either that or he caught his agent trying to make a private deal with his wife lol. Poor taste I know.

Time will tell....as it always does.

Could be one of a hundred possible reasons. Maybe wants some one more experienced or a better negotiator. Don't hear of players doing this, but it would make sense. With the rookie deals for 1st rounders pretty much slotted in a range based on where you're selected, I don't see the point of paying for a higher costing agent until the rookie deal is close to being completed. I mean if I'm just getting my oil checked, why go to an expensive mechanic when a cheap one would do the trick for that job. Then once you're ready to start dealing with the engine or transmission then you pay extra to bring in a higher grade mechanic.
Don't think he would be paying more for new guys. Leigh Steinberg is top of market guy, plus they all work on pct basis (pct of contract) I think, and the number is standard. So likely has to to with something more than what paying the agent

Don't think he would be paying more for new guys. Leigh Steinberg is top of market guy, plus they all work on pct basis (pct of contract) I think, and the number is standard. So likely has to to with something more than what paying the agent
I was just saying if it were me I would get a cheap agent for the first contract and then upgrade when the rookie deal was close to expiring. While I'm sure agents get a % of the deal, I would think a Steinberg or bigger named agent would come at a higher cost than some of the lesser known or experienced agents. Just a guess on my part but I could be wrong on that issue.

First, this happened about a week ago. Second, **** PFT, quit linking Florio's trash pile site. Third, why wouldn't Tua start negotiations on a contract this year?

I love how posters make posts with no basis in fact other than some dumbass like Florio just floating nonsense out, then when questioned why the excuse is "well durr durr durr, what else are we supposed to talk about in the off-season, durrrr". That type of poster is about the equivalent of those cawing hens on the view.

My guess is Tua was pissed that his agent didn’t start negotiations for a new contract when he was tearing it up. Now he doesn’t have much in the way of leverage due to his concussion concerns

My guess is Tua was pissed that his agent didn’t start negotiations for a new contract when he was tearing it up. Now he doesn’t have much in the way of leverage due to his concussion concerns
Well considering he couldn't negotiate his contract until this season was over by rule, I guess not.

Steinbergs been around a long time. We can look at it a million different ways but it's like asking someone why did you fire your attorney if your attorney seems like a good one....then the person details their specific experience and you go 'ah now I get it'....we will never know the specific answers and it's irrelevant even if we did as fans....

I heard somewhere that the idea was to expand his brand into commercials, repping products, etc. Steinberg is good with football, not so much marketing outside of football.

I have no idea how accurate that is, just what I heard on one of the talking head shows
It’s pretty obvious now that Tua is an extremely popular player. He was #3 in jersey sales in the UK and I think he was #1 in the US at one point this year. He’s very likable and should be in more commercials etc.

Back
Top Bottom