Tua has a quicker release time than Dan Marino... | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua has a quicker release time than Dan Marino...

At 3:23 he says it was the best move for us going forward. Take a look at the 11:00
mark. that’s a good one😂 Thanks.
so back to the link, do you have a link saying Fitz was benched because a performance.
No but I said it because had he actually lit it up the first 6 games he wouldn't have been replaced (BINGO!)

This is the difference between listening to the talking heads on radio who said Fitz was lighting it up watching only the Hi-lights and actually seeing the product on the field.

No but I said it because had he actually lit it up the first 6 games he wouldn't have been replaced (BINGO!)

This is the difference between listening to the talking heads on radio who said Fitz was lighting it up watching only the Hi-lights and actually seeing the product on the field.
Wrong, but thanks for your opinion.

I’m sure a lot of us Marino-ists like Tua, I certainly do but it is simply laughable comparing him in anyway to DM13 (apart from throwing speeds and techniques). To many of us he is as close to god as you can get in football and we grew up watching him carry us through games with a very average D.

A former player (can’t remember who) said they went in the fins changing room after a game to shake hands and when he walked up to DM he said he’d never seen someone with so many scars and marks on his body, bandaged up all over.... he did that for us, that’s why we love him.

Don’t sit there and talk him down because you have a love for a one season rookie who is a great talent but has done nothing for us yet. DM didn’t get a SB ring but he ****ing tried and put his body on the line for us and every team wanted him. To say he didn’t win a ring in a way demeans everything he did for us in my opinion, all for a first year rookie!!!???? You love Tua that’s fine, I like him but he has done nothing for us yet or in the game as a whole.

If we’re going off topic then I’ll say one things for sure. This comment has nothing to do with football abilities but physical attributes :

Tua and over half of today’s QBs would not last long enough in DMs days to have half of DMs career which is what they mostly end up with anyway. DM took hit after hit when there was little protection, hits that none of these young lads could take more than 5 years of. Watson, Jackson, Mahomes.... none of them.

Means nothing really. All the other QB throw hard and Tua is soft. His arm is the reason he ain't pro material.

Anybody who makes it to the nFL has enough arm strength (Joe Montana said this at one time as well). It's other factors that make a QB successful (accuracy first and foremost, anticipation is high on the list as well). Velocity is more important than throwing distance (this is the measure the NFL uses). Having a big arm simply means you can open the playbook more, but it's far from boom or bust for the NFL.

Kurt Warner, Randal Cunningham and Warren Moon should be on that list somewhere.

Timing, Anticipation, and release is what matters more than arm strength.

Arm strength doesn't really matter in the NFL, it's all about anticipation. But more than anything of that, it's about trusting your receivers. Here is an example for you.

----

Preston Williams is running a deep out route. Lets say on his 8th step he decides to plant his inside foot, sink his hips and explode at angle for the out route.

Tua decides to throw is before he even plants his inside foot, causing the ball to be there when he breaks out of his cut. Ball arrives perfectly on time. Its bang bang and the DB has zero chance of picking it off.

Now lets take another player in Lynn Bowden. Bowden decides to shimmy and take a giant hop step at his 8th step. He stutters for another few steps then rounds out his cut and goes to the out. Tua holds and is unable to throw because he doesn't hit his marks when Tua is ready to let go before Lynn sinks and his hips and cuts. This messes up timing and anticipation. But what it does more than anything is mess up the trust.

Tua will start trusting Preston because he runs his routes and is where he needs to be when he needs to be. When Lynn Bowden runs routes, he isn't and that messes with a QB in a bad way like Tua.

Now lets take Herbert. Herbert is notorious even in his San Diego tape, to be late on throws because of his arm strength. He will throw that out route AFTER the player makes his cut, but can get it there because of his arm. However, his anticipation still lacks immensely. But it doesn't matter because of his arm strength and it can overcome the timing issues. But he doesn't need trust because he can get the ball to his player.

What teams will start doing next year (at least I think) is start running back that Rex Ryan cover 2 blitz scheme when playing Herbert. It allows the DB's to jump and also squat on routes. Herbert really did well this year off using his arm and relying it over everything else. But watch the Patriots game. Belicheck turned up the blitz and pressure to an 11 and Herbert got flustered badly. Watch next year. Teams will start using a zone blitz defense and watch Herbert's eyes and his lack of anticipation and timing to start jumping his routes.

Anyways long story short. Tua is all about anticipation and timing. Get receivers he trusts and he could have the weakest arm in the NFL and still dominate. Because a QB that can release it faster than anyone else with excellent anticipation and trust in his receivers is impossible to defend.
Posts like this are what make this board worth it...real insight about the subtleties from someone inside the game. Thanks a mill man!

Back
Top Bottom