Tua is not the issue! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua is not the issue!

normaniii

Active Roster
Reaction score
Let's not overthink this:-

When Tagovailoa had a clean pocket - 99.3 passer rating with 11 touchdowns and three interceptions.

Herbert had a 97.7 rating with 18 touchdowns and eight interceptions with a clean pocket.

Surprisingly similar, but what also should be noted, Tua for majority of year was throwing to a much weaker set of WRs.

Why then did we overthink the off-season?

Tua has proven to be supcetable to injuries - let's protect him
Tua has proven, with time he can be very good - let's protect him
Quality OT's in the NFL are far more scarce than quality WRs

With all this info in off-season, why did we not then go for a Chiefs style makeover?

This was a strong OT and C draft. It's not like we didn't already have a strong D.

Just with 1st 3 picks, Sewell, Darrisaw, Landon Dickerson.

You can pick your own favourites, but the drafting of a WR, DE and safety with 3 of the first 4 picks is ridiculous.

Protect Tua, keep same D, should have been priority no. 1 2021

The pick for Waddle was sexy and exciting, but I never thought that Sewell would get pass us if he was there. That oline and WR group still needs to be finetuned (hence the pick for Waddle) and until we do that, I don't care if you put Marino back there....the Dolphins will not have success or get their QB killed
With all that being said....the team is so young and inexperienced.....don't forget Flores and Grier rebuilt this team at every position.....we're just not there yet.

The NFL really isn't about what you can do with a clean pocket.

1) Almost every QB ever drafted including Ryan Leaf and John Beck has enough talent to play with a clean pocket, Id be willing to bet my life on the fact that most starting QB put up similar numbers with a clean pocket. There will be outliers of course like any statistic.

2) A consistently clean pocket is rare in the modern NFL for most teams. There is almost always some form of pressure on passing downs regardless of which game you watch.

2B) You need an absolutely elite offensive line to ensure a consistently clean pocket, which ties back to #1 because at that point it barely matters who the QB is.

The modern NFL requires either a QB smart enough to read the defense before the snap and right at the snap to get the ball out quickly, think Tom Brady, or the ability to manipulate the pocket consistently, think Mahomes.

Last years Super Bowl is a great example of a great QB Mahomes running for his life and yes losing the game.
i don't recall the Chiefs fan screaming for a new QB .
We have a O line that needs time , just like KC with there new draft picks and free agent’s they have the same record we do .
We also have some very bad armchair coaches IMHO.
Kinda like the Jets fans that are now screaming about Zach Wilion, as cast off Sam Darnold is 3-0 as a Panther
the fans up there need to remember they asked for that change, now own it

Last years Super Bowl is a great example of a great QB Mahomes running for his life and yes losing the game.
i don't recall the Chiefs fan screaming for a new QB .
We have a O line that needs time , just like KC with there new draft picks and free agent’s they have the same record we do .
We also have some very bad armchair coaches IMHO.
Kinda like the Jets fans that are now screaming about Zach Wilion, as cast off Sam Darnold is 3-0 as a Panther
the fans up there need to remember they asked for that change, now own it
Last year's Super Bowl?

I'm going to take a liberty here and say that if we were playing in the Super Bowl and Tua got us there very few people would be going negative on Tua.

We are not playing in the Super Bowl and Tua is struggling to win any games (insert myriad of reasons why here). He's also struggling to stay healthy (On the injury report 4 times last year and now on IR after just 3 games this year). Its a lot easier to stop the talk about Tua by simply winning football games than it is to try and convince people Tua is not the reason we're losing right now. Until we do start winning the talk will continue...

clueless...absolutley clueless with this post....FITZPATRICK AND BRISETT out played him TWO JOURNEYMAN QBs enough with this!!!!!!!
Your post is clueless… Brissett has proved nothing, other than he is what he is which is a backup… Fitz was a bridge… Tua has more potential easily than both and is hands down better than Brissett

Your post is clueless… Brissett has proved nothing, other than he is what he is which is a backup… Fitz was a bridge… Tua has more potential easily than both and is hands down better than Brissett
I 100% agree Tua has more potential, but as long as we are using terms like potential, we are discussing potential that has yet to be realized.

Agree with most of comments, but my post was not solely based on just the 'clean pocket'. It was this, together with him having no weapons to throw to and still being successful.

My post was more, protecting him should be the priority, over gathering better weapons.

When you consider the started and depth at wr, compared to Oline, surely there can be no argument that Oline should have been prioritised

I 100% agree Tua has more potential, but as long as we are using terms like potential, we are discussing potential that has yet to be realized.
I agree- coaching, player development, areas the fins haven’t been very competent in over the last 2 decades… it won’t be realized if they don’t get their **** together and Tua may shine elsewhere

This is entirely fair.

I'm not a fan of Tua, well ill rephrase that. He isn't the 1st, 2nd or 3rd QB I wanted that draft but obviously he's a Dolphin so I'm a fan in that respect of Tua.

With that out if the way, what I'm trying to say is I respect any opinion from someone who says Tua -can- grow and be good whether I agree or not.

The thing that irks me is acting like he's already earned the respect of being a franchise QB. In my eyes even if you think thats his potential he hasn't done it yet. Just saying he -could- do it if x or y was different only holds minimal value without other things to back it up.

Blah blah blah. Tua IS part of the problem whether you or any of the cult want to admit it.
for sure…. Let’s give up on the kid, eventually trade him for peanuts and watch him go elsewhere with a competent staff and become a Pro Bowler… happened with Tannehill… 7 years to get a decent line and running game put together to help Tannehill succeed, and we couldn’t do it… now he’s putting up great numbers and led his team to the playoffs… coaching is the issue… Tua has more potential than Tannehill… health and durability are significant concerns, but this team has failed to provide him with the tools to succeed… and in turn evaluate- so here we are, flirting with a sex offender to be our QB… couldn’t write the **** for a ****ing movie… it’s ridiculous

Back
Top Bottom