Tua mental shackles | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua mental shackles

This is confusing. When Tannehill was QB I was told here that great players elevate the play of his teammates. Now that Tagovailoa is under center, that ain’t true anymore?
I see what you did there. To me at least, Tannehill isn’t an elite QB. He is a guy good enough to win with the right system and cast. A QB like Rodgers who can make some scrub TE you’ve never even heard of into a 50 catch 10 TD guy is very rare.

It’s very underrated how bad the weapons for Miami are right now.
The #1-5 WRs going into the season are all out currently and our #1 TE is too. Our top 2-3 RBs have all been in and out of the lineup as well. Our talent level at all skill possessions were already overall below average... it has truly gotten worse.

You currently have Mack Hollins and Isiah Ford as your primary receivers - this is literally as bad as it gets. There is not one set of less talented WRs in the NFL - and if you consider top3 WRs we are even worse.

This is such big factor that is truly not considered enough on how Tua’s “game speed” is not up to par. This is a bottom 5 RB room and a bottom 1 WR room. Tua has zero going for him on the offensive side outside of himself,
I agree. You would be hard pressed to find a worse collection of skill players anywhere in the league. Most of these guys are barely practice player worthy. You are wrong about them not having their #1 TE though. Gesicki is playing.

This is confusing. When Tannehill was QB I was told here that great players elevate the play of his teammates. Now that Tagovailoa is under center, that ain’t true anymore?
Thats fine, a good QB will elevate good to great, average to good, bad to average etc... What the Fins have at the skill positions right now is fringe NFL, asking a rookie QB to convert this to merely average is just unreasonable... Tannehill has never dealt with that poor of a group except for his 1st season, and if you want to compare their production, be my guest... If you're a Tannehill fan, you should be excited as Tua is way ahead...

Thats fine, a good QB will elevate good to great, average to good, bad to average etc... What the Fins have at the skill positions right now is fringe NFL, asking a rookie QB to convert this to merely average is just unreasonable... Tannehill has never dealt with that poor of a group except for his 1st season, and if you want to compare their production, be my guest... If you're a Tannehill fan, you should be excited as Tua is way ahead...
Agreed. Tua, in his rookie season, is already probably about as good as Tannehill was in his 3rd-4th seasons.

Dan made the playoffs his rookie year right? Are there any other Dolphin QB's that made the playoffs their rookie year?

A buddy of mind wanted to determine once and for all, whether CG called the games differently with Tua and Fitz. So he rewatched the tape for Denver game and LV game. His conclusion is inconclusive....lol.

He said, granted, when Fitz was on the field, he saw more deep routes. However that was necessary because we were behind. And he said, for example, the deep completion to Gesicki late in the LV game, he saw the same pattern as well when Tua was on field. But percentage wise, it is inconclusive because the Fitz sample size from these two games is too small to make a ditect corolation to play calling pattern.

However, him and me came to agreement that we were sure Flo and CG have drilled into Tua's head to take care of the ball first and foremost. Don't take chances. Let our defense and special team win the game for us. Given the fact that Tua is very 'coachable', he must took the instruction to heart. Thus we saw Tua played timid, and failed to 'push to ball' as some experts observed. I called it mental shackles. And given Tua hater the ammunition to talk about drafting qb.

With Fitz out with Covid this week, I wish Flo would give the green light to the kid and tell him to 'go get'em '. Take off the shackles and let Tua sling it. If he make a mistake, so what, he is a rookie, he entitles to rookie mistakes. Let him take his lumps and learn.

The last thing we want is for Flo to turn Tua into another Henne, Mr. check down.
I agree though there is one caveat. There is a playoff berth on the line.

I think they are taking an inside to outside approach.. execute the basics, learn the playbook, see the defenses and coverages, and incrementally grow and widen the field from there..

I also think Tua is not running nearly enough RPO and Zone read..

I'm a Dolphins fan but honestly, Tannehill had shown more in his rookie season. If Tannehill had a 6.3 YPA, people would be screaming "dink-and-dunk, not taking enough chances, can't throw the deep ball...". How do I know? Because they did when he had a 6.8 YPA in his rookie season. Which was the worst of his career by the way. People were also saying "no pocket presence" but Tagovailoa is being sacked at a higher rate (7.6% vs 6.7%). With a better offensive line. I think it's a wash between their rookie seasons but reading FinHeaven, you would think that Tagovailoa is miles ahead of where Tannehill was in his first season. Not the case.

I'm a Dolphins fan but honestly, Tannehill had shown more in his rookie season. If Tannehill had a 6.3 YPA, people would be screaming "dink-and-dunk, not taking enough chances, can't throw the deep ball...". How do I know? Because they did when he had a 6.8 YPA in his rookie season. Which was the worst of his career by the way. People were also saying "no pocket presence" but Tagovailoa is being sacked at a higher rate (7.6% vs 6.7%). With a better offensive line. I think it's a wash between their rookie seasons but reading FinHeaven, you would think that Tagovailoa is miles ahead of where Tannehill was in his first season. Not the case.

you right about that. The offense from a qb freedom stand point wasn’t anywhere near as neutered. Conceptually not even close.

but tanny was the starter out of training camp even. And that matters. We didn’t waste 6 games on some jag veteran. Putting the kid behind with the install

You are wrong. He had decent wr and wr. We now don't.

Back
Top Bottom