Tua Tagovailoa is getting zero respect and that’s wrong | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Tagovailoa is getting zero respect and that’s wrong

I don't think it's the least bit fair to Tua when comparisons are made to other rookie QBs. Each team is different with coaches who view the position differently. While Tua didnt have a great supporting cast on the offensive side, we had a pretty good defense that took the ball away quite often and o ur special teams played very well too.

Tua's stats and performance need to stand on their own under scrutiny because thats what he will be remembered for. Individual achievement gets you in the HoF and there are some guys in there that never won a Super Bowl or even played on a team that was winning consistently.

Tua is the one needs to put up the stats that will earn him respect and this year his stats were below average. Tua himself will be the first one to say he needs to do much better. So let's see what 'much better' looks like this year and if it's what we're all hoping for and Tua will earn the respect he deserves.

Point to an elite physical trait of Tom Brady as a predictor to his dominance circa 2001 then so we can get an example on what exactly we're looking for here.

You sound like Lombardi. I don't know where this need to have physically dominant traits to succeed at QB in the NFL came from, but it's completely silly. He was one of if not the most accurate QB of the last 20 years in college and that's looking at more than just straight completion percentage. There wasn't a spot on the field where his + accuracy wasn't green which no QB had done this century iirc. Is that an elite trait? Many scouts would tell you that accuracy is the most desirable physical trait for a QB and it seems like you're just sweeping that under the rug to look for Allen's arm strength or Jackson's legs instead.

Did it completely manifest itself this year? No, probably because our WRs made it harder on Tua than any group did for their QB in the league and forced him to throw more passes into tight coverage than anybody else by a large amount.

He had a normal rookie-like season because he couldn't read defenses fast enough, not because of any physical shortcomings.

Sheesh.
I can't stand Brady but he's (beyond obviously!) a PROVEN Pro QB that has produced positive results for years and years and years. So the attempt at ANY kind of comparison stops dead in its tracks right there! LOL

Beyond that, besides height, Brady ain't NO physical prototype for QB in the NFL! You certainly don't see scouts salivating over some lanky kid with no musculature, poor athlete, slow, doesn't have a rocket arm but yeah we can't get enough of that! LOL

But he is a great cheater! So mark that down on your prospect list!

Last, we will see soon enough with Tua. I just hope he is notably better "physically" and proves to be at least somewhat worthy of the hype that preceded his arrival. He's a great kid. Fabulous personality. And definitely a very good face for the franchise. Now all he has to do is "prove it" on the field!

Hope he does.

BNF

Last edited:
Burrows big issues were quick decision making and arm strength. He tends to play hero ball and try keeping a play alive. He got crushed on a couple plays. The injury was just an unfortunate thing that could happen to anyone.

He can make all the throws but he doesn't have the velocity that you would want on those outside the numbers throws.

It's a real shame because he is still very talented and really had a great vibe to him. I hope he can recover so we can measure out the three qbs to see who made the right choice in five years
Correct. And arm limitations in the NFL are a serious problem for a QB. You can offset to a degree but it's always gonna be a limitation. And a really good DC and D can attack that weakness...

Correct. And arm limitations in the NFL are a serious problem for a QB. You can offset to a degree but it's always gonna be a limitation. And a really good DC and D can attack that weakness...

Arm strength, which is all you write about, is just one of many possible traits. It's almost as if you have an arm strength fetish... ;-)

For example:
Slow processing is a serious problem for a QB. You can offset to a degree, but it's always going to be a limitation. And really good DC and D can attack.

Being unable to read D's pre- and/or post-snap is a serious problem for a QB. You can offset to a degree, but it's always going to be a limitation. And really good DC and D can attack.

Being immobile in the pocket is a serious problem for a QB. You can offset to a degree, but it's always going to be a limitation. And really good DC and D can attack.

Being inaccurate is a serious problem for a QB. You can offset to a degree, but it's always going to be a limitation. And really good DC and D can attack.

Not being able to throw prior to the WR breaking is a serious problem for a QB. You can offset to a degree, but it's always going to be a limitation. And really good DC and D can attack.

Don't worry about that. If he is he will. Rookie season was a smokescreen.
Personally I am in a win win situation. If we get Watson, we'll be in SB hunt in two years. If we stick to Tua, which I think he will drastically improve with better wr corp and more focusing camp, we will be in playoff many years to come.

I posted before on here that I've had the same hip injury from a heads on car crash. I also posted back in JAN 2020 that Tua would be doing passing drills in March and cleared for contact by camp.

Tua was cleared for training on March 7th and can be seen throwing in his Pro Day with Trent Dilfer in early April. He had a shortened offseason like the other rookie QBs and he was on the Day 1 active game roster.

Once passed the threat of necrosis, it's just like any other bone injury. I haven't had any problems with mine in almost 15 years.

I'm not sure why people keep bringing up the hip as a crutch... Tua played like the rookie QB that he is, and he will get better.
Umm he lost OTHER mass while rehabbing his hip my gosh is this hard to understand???? ~ I am sure you were being chased by 300 lb defensive linemen shortly after your accident

By Jordan Dajani

Feb 25, 2021

"Recently, Tagovailoa posted pictures of himself working out this offseason that generated quite a bit of attention. It looked as if he was building muscle, and Tagovailoa told us "getting his body" back was important for him this offseason.
"Really just trying to get my body back, it's the first time I've had a real offseason so just trying to get stronger, trying to get faster, trying to get back to how I used to look ... back at Alabama," Tagovailoa laughed. "Just trying to get better with those things as far as the offseason."

It took quite some time to fully recover from the hip injury he suffered while at Alabama, but Tagovailoa also dealt with foot and thumb injuries during his rookie campaign that forced him to miss a Week 12 matchup against the New York Jets."

Whats funny is people dont think about it this way.. when the chargers got spanked by the patriots, dont you think Herbert couldve been benched after being 20-30 points down?? He probably stayed in that game because they didnt have a better answer with their backup and they felt he was their best option to win that game.. in which herbert did jack ****t. My point is, it was Our coaching staff that made that decision for Tua to sit, and thats what creates more hate on him. If they had left him in, even with a loss, it wouldve not look as bad for his resume. That word "benched" killed it for him totally
The Chargers were nowhere near making the playoffs like we were...

The Tua Experiment cost us a playoff berth. He should have sat the bench the whole year while Gailey and Fitzpatrick controlled the offense.

As far as his injury is concerned...

How long will we keep using that as an excuse?

He had the same injury prior to the cardinal and Chiefs game... with no ill effect.

As far as his injury is concerned...

How long will we keep using that as an excuse?

He had the same injury prior to the cardinal and Chiefs game... with no ill effect.

The sad fact here is that you believe a player who spent his entire 15 year career .500 and never made the playoffs could actually get a team to the playoffs, could have won those games in Arizona or against the Pats or chargers. Of the 4 wins last season Fitz beat the Jets twice and the Jags, the two worst teams in the league. We wouldn't have gotten to 10 wins with him staying under center.

The sad fact here is that you believe a player who spent his entire 15 year career .500 and never made the playoffs could actually get a team to the playoffs, could have won those games in Arizona or against the Pats or chargers. Of the 4 wins last season Fitz beat the Jets twice and the Jags, the two worst teams in the league. We wouldn't have gotten to 10 wins with him staying under center.
You do realize our D won most of the games right? That we scored at a higher rate with Fitz?

I'm not suggesting not playing Tua, as Flo said he didn't want him to be behind the team in terms of development. Pretending that Fitz couldn't get the job done where Tua did isn't really fair, especially when the evidence suggests otherwise.

You do realize our D won most of the games right? That we scored at a higher rate with Fitz?

I'm not suggesting not playing Tua, as Flo said he didn't want him to be behind the team in terms of development. Pretending that Fitz couldn't get the job done where Tua did isn't really fair, especially when the evidence suggests otherwise.
D won most of the games that Tua started - LOL

Classic stuff Knee slapper

Fitz led how many teams to the POs in his brief career - again? Simple math doesn’t get much easier

Back
Top Bottom