Tunsil Say's They Were "unprepared"....... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tunsil Say's They Were "unprepared".......

I agree. Some of the OL players are either dumb or weak or maybe both. How is it possible to look that bad against the blitz so many times this year? I mean seriously, yesterday was a complete disaster on the OL. It can't be all coaching, I refuse to believe Gase is that inept. Larsen and Davis have been terrible in pass pro lately and yesterday James was awful as well. Tunsil was also uncharacteristically bad, but he has been solid all year, can't blame him too much for one bad game. I think it's on the players more than anyone else.
Your beliefs may soon change

Agreed, we have to rebuild this team with young aggressive play makers......what I can't understand is how some teams are able to move up and down the draft plucking players at will all the while rebuilding relatively quickly, at the same time I am seeing post after post talking about FAs for next year or how much money we have to spend on older expensive cast offs from other team. Why can't the Dolphins manipulate the draft for their benefit like Oakland is about to do, or the way Dallas did it back with JJ, or even the way the Dolphins did it when JJ came here?

If I were Ross, I would make serious changes to the scouting department in the offseason. The 2017 draft was horrible and it set us back more than some people want to admit. We also seem incapable of finding good OL talent in the middle rounds of the draft like good teams often do. If we don't overpay for James (and I think we shouldn't) we will need quality starters at LG, RG and RT. I'm not counting on Sitton to stay healthy and he is also old, Larsen sucks and Davis is not starter material at this moment. Between Swanson and Brendel, I think we have enough to get by with at C for a year or two, but both guard positions and RT need to be addressed in the draft. We can't spend big on free agents because then we won't have enough cap space to resign Tunsil, as he'll demand huge money. So that means there are very little chances the line gets completely fixed for next season and we'll probably need two drafts to do it, which is bad news for Gase and RT who will be in do or die mode next year.

Last edited:
It's very odd that we haven't been able to pick up stunts all year. Not sure who's fault it is. I do think Davis, Larsen and Swanson are terrible football players though. The whole interior. The Vikings really are a superior team to us, it's not all coaching. We had Walt Aikens out there at CB, that should NEVER happen. Plus the entire interior of our defensive line is street free agents. It won't be popular but I still say the talent is lacking and Gase is getting about as much as he can out of it despite the clunker yesterday. I think the offense was supposed to revolve around the speed of Wilson and Grant. The combination of Stills, Parker and Dola has been very disappointing. It's all over now, let's see how they look in the last 2 games.

Constantly starting over never got anyone anywhere but neither did pumping a dry well too long. Tough decisions upcoming, they WILL NOT be clouded by the playoffs though. Colts aren't losing again.

Zone blocking is HEAVILY scheme dependent and struggles with adversity, such as stunts and blitzes.

It also doesn't help that our interior is substandard and our RBs and TEs have no idea how to pick up a blitz or even throw a proper block for that matter.

I could be mistaking, but isn't pass pro the same for zone or power? Man against man, right? The difference might be when it comes to run blocking. I know it doesn't really matter at this point. They kicked our butts either way.

Not sure how big of a story this is. The regular schedule is to practice Wednesday, Thursday and Friday they never practice Tuesday (unless there is a Thursday night game or after the BYE). I think we're nit picking here. I had a feeling Minny would get a jolt from the coordinator change.

Just amazing how the haters disappeared for a week and are back now right on cue - how pathetic

Par for the course. There is nothing more exhilarating than being RIGHT about what we post on a silly fan message forum.

Gase and Burke get so much heat but it's not always there fault, our players don't seem to be a physical group at all, in the trenches or at the skill positions. If you want to get rid of the HC that's OK, but you also better look at the product on the field.
Fair assessment...

Keep in mind that this is the team the coach wanted. He prefers speed over physicality...when he can actually havee both.

Not sure how big of a story this is. The regular schedule is to practice Wednesday, Thursday and Friday they never practice Tuesday (unless there is a Thursday night game or after the BYE). I think we're nit picking here. I had a feeling Minny would get a jolt from the coordinator change.
I’m not sure neither.

But I do know Minkah came in on Monday to study film and we see where that got him.

I could be mistaking, but isn't pass pro the same for zone or power? Man against man, right? The difference might be when it comes to run blocking. I know it doesn't really matter at this point. They kicked our butts either way.

You would think, but if you watch our oline, they dont anchor. They are in a constant backpeddle. At times you can see guys looking around for someone to block, actually looking lost.

Some teams only use ZBS for the run game, where it works best. Our problem comes from the RPO in part. We havent run any RPO in the last two games that I recall, but when you get those, the oline doesnt know if the play is a pass or run until the QB makes that decision post snap.

I think their blocking scheme carried over from the remnants of the RPO plays, so now everything is ZBS.

Gase and Burke get so much heat but it's not always there fault, our players don't seem to be a physical group at all, in the trenches or at the skill positions. If you want to get rid of the HC that's OK, but you also better look at the product on the field.

I believe I remember Gase having final say on personnel...he has the players he kept....and got rid of players he didn’t want.

In free agency if you get a guy who is good and under 28 you overpay for his services massively. They instantly become the highest paid at their positions. The only way to get bargains in free agency is to get guys that have been injured, are over 30 or have some character issues. you cant build your roster through free agency by only going after guys under 28. 6 players will eat the entire salary cap

Should only have to get a half dozen players through free agency each year if they draft right and resign the players they develop. I’m ok overpaying for a player who they draft, develop and deserves to be paid. They were under paid for 4-5 years so a couple more mil per to keep them sends a great message; that you’ll get paid as a player if you do what we ask.

The bigger picture idea is building through the draft. If they do that then they have young players with the potential to be inexpensive core pieces.

The bargains are found by taking a shot on a guy who flashed potential but never put it all together during their rookie contract. Often times, players are misused, immature or just need a fresh start. Not the guy who was good 2 out of his first 4 years but has had significant injuries 4 out of 6 and is now 28 or 29 heading into the downside of his career. In 2 years you’re replacing them and most likely had to use depth to start a large portion of their games.

Back
Top Bottom