Tunsil Say's They Were "unprepared"....... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tunsil Say's They Were "unprepared".......

What gets me is this:
They were getting pressure sometimes with 4 linemen and ONE blitzer.
We had enough blockers, they just didn't know what the hell to do.
Did Tannehill know what to do?

The line was awful, but so was the play-calling, and the pre/post snap reads.

One poster here said that the blitz hit Tannehill before he got a chance t look up...on play-action. There aren't enough seconds to do play action in the face of relentless blitzing. That's 40% Gase's fault fo calling that mess and 60% Tannehill for not checking out of that mess and into a slant, or Ballage/Drake 1v1 in the flat in space. What about him waiting until the play clock is down to 1 before he snaps it, without checking out of a pattern that takes 3 seconds to develop, in the face of a blitz.

Good QB's don't get sacked 9 damn times. They may get hit 20 times, but not sacked 9 times.

This is the criticism I have with Tannehill where I say I don't think he's a good QB. His defenders think I'm saying he's sorry. No, I'm saying that he should know how to, if not defeat the blitz...AT LEAST compete with it. I'll go back to Chiefs vs. Chargers...Rivers was getting blitzed as much as Tannehill. He destroyed the blitz.

Just amazing how the haters disappeared for a week and are back now right on cue - how pathetic

I’m probably considered a hater by many, but I’m still a huge fan. I try to watch all their games and when they win I enjoy them. The Miami Miracle was one for the ages and well worth it no matter how lucky they got. They kept it close all game and beat the Pats. So I sat back and enjoyed it all week. Probably watched that play 50 times!

If I were Ross, I would make serious changes to the scouting department in the offseason. The 2017 draft was horrible and it set us back more than some people want to admit. We also seem incapable of finding good OL talent in the middle rounds of the draft like good teams often do. If we don't overpay for James (and I think we shouldn't) we will need quality starters at LG, RG and RT. I'm not counting on Sitton to stay healthy and he is also old, Larsen sucks and Davis is not starter material at this moment. Between Swanson and Brendel, I think we have enough to get by with at C for a year or two, but both guard positions and RT need to be addressed in the draft. We can't spend big on free agents because then we won't have enough cap space to resign Tunsil, as he'll demand huge money. So that means there are very little chances the line gets completely fixed for next season and we'll probably need two drafts to do it, which is bad news for Gase and RT who will be in do or die mode next year.

I hated the Harris pick when we made it...

Did Tannehill know what to do?

The line was awful, but so was the play-calling, and the pre/post snap reads.

One poster here said that the blitz hit Tannehill before he got a chance t look up...on play-action. There aren't enough seconds to do play action in the face of relentless blitzing. That's 40% Gase's fault fo calling that mess and 60% Tannehill for not checking out of that mess and into a slant, or Ballage/Drake 1v1 in the flat in space. What about him waiting until the play clock is down to 1 before he snaps it, without checking out of a pattern that takes 3 seconds to develop, in the face of a blitz.

Good QB's don't get sacked 9 damn times. They may get hit 20 times, but not sacked 9 times.

This is the criticism I have with Tannehill where I say I don't think he's a good QB. His defenders think I'm saying he's sorry. No, I'm saying that he should know how to, if not defeat the blitz...AT LEAST compete with it. I'll go back to Chiefs vs. Chargers...Rivers was getting blitzed as much as Tannehill. He destroyed the blitz.
Nah.....we had runs blown up in the backfield as well by the Vikings defense. They overwhelmed our blocking schemes and we couldn't deal with it.

It takes more than one player to recognize a blitz and I saw no evidence at all that anyone was prepared or had a plan to deal with it. We did nothing different...nothing. The receivers didn't adjust their routes, the QB didn't take a shorter drop and get rid of it, the line didn't rotate or shift their blocking......nothing.

To me, this is a coaching and a scheme issue. Are we too arrogant in our offensive scheme to adjust in the face of a better defense?

Just amazing how the haters disappeared for a week and are back now right on cue - how pathetic
Not as amazing as the supporters who were talking about playoff positioning, our first round game, and how Tannehill is as good as Luck/Wilson after the Pats game...

Only one poster is out here representing Tannehill after the Minny game as hard I've heard him all season, FinfaninBuffalo. He's the only one who gets my respect as a true homer, however misguided that support may be. Everyone else on the Tannehill bandwagon are fairweather supporters.

I don't understand how the Dolphins had no RB option pass for those blitzes - like that's high school stuff
One quick slant, or five, would have been nice as well....

It's very odd that we haven't been able to pick up stunts all year. Not sure who's fault it is. I do think Davis, Larsen and Swanson are terrible football players though. The whole interior. The Vikings really are a superior team to us, it's not all coaching. We had Walt Aikens out there at CB, that should NEVER happen. Plus the entire interior of our defensive line is street free agents. It won't be popular but I still say the talent is lacking and Gase is getting about as much as he can out of it despite the clunker yesterday. I think the offense was supposed to revolve around the speed of Wilson and Grant. The combination of Stills, Parker and Dola has been very disappointing. It's all over now, let's see how they look in the last 2 games.

Constantly starting over never got anyone anywhere but neither did pumping a dry well too long. Tough decisions upcoming, they WILL NOT be clouded by the playoffs though. Colts aren't losing again.

I agree. I still think Gase is a good HC. His players respect and fight hard for him and a lot of knowledgeable people around the NFL speak highly of him. I don't think he doesn't know how to teach his players to pick up a blitz. I think the talent is just not there yet, and that goes for the defence as well. When Taylor went down it was a big blow for our run D and it doesn't get talked about enough. Spence is nothing special, Wake and Quinn are both washed up, Harris brings nothing, Branch is a JAG. Keep Gase for 2 more years, draft well and let's see what happens.

Lets give Gase 10 years so he can instill his type of players who do what he says and we will finally win 10....he is the guru afterall right?

20 years. lets give him 20 years. tanny had NO ints!! extend him again.

ps Dolphins have always played soft. Even back with Shula.

I agree. I still think Gase is a good HC. His players respect and fight hard for him and a lot of knowledgeable people around the NFL speak highly of him. I don't think he doesn't know how to teach his players to pick up a blitz. I think the talent is just not there yet, and that goes for the defence as well. When Taylor went down it was a big blow for our run D and it doesn't get talked about enough. Spence is nothing special, Wake and Quinn are both washed up, Harris brings nothing, Branch is a JAG. Keep Gase for 2 more years, draft well and let's see what happens.

how can you watch these games with the constant huge gains by the opponent and anemic offense and say he is a good coach. while all this is happening the guy is sitting on the bench taking his notes.

This team just beat New England and scored 30 points on them so I don't believe they are not talented or tough. They are just not well coached and I contend that there's talent on this team to contend for a playoff spot and compete in the play-off's if properly coached. The HC is in over his head and the fact that he's allowed the defense to remain the way it is for this long tells me he's not the guy. I say get a New coach in and give him next year to evaluate the players on the team as 2020 is a big decision year and hopefully they don't go into that year with a new regime trying to asses talent based on the previous regime. Gase is not the guy this team seems to always under perform on the road in big games.

I don't understand how the Dolphins had no RB option pass for those blitzes - like that's high school stuff

Did you see Tannehill's face on some of those drop backs? The dude looked scared. I don't blame him considering the way our offensive line was blocking, but he was in no shape (mentally or physically) to run the offense with his bum ankle. It's sad that a severely injured, and less than 100%, Tannehill is our best option at QB when we have 2 other guys on the roster. I understand why Gase is going with him, but damn. The depth on our team sucks!

I just don't really see how you can be unprepared to do the job you've been doing since you were prob in grade school. It doesn't matter if its the Vikings stunting or the Bills running a stunt. the offensive line is supposed to be capable of being able to hand it off to the man beside them. yes depending on the defense you might want to change the scheme up some, moving the pocket or whatever, but letting men go untouched is not a preparedness issue, its a lack of discipline/talent issue. now if the coaching staff hasn't had their scout D do a single stunt or blitz in the 3 years since Gase has been here, then well yeah they might get rusty. but I can guaran-damn-well-tee you that everyone of those offensive lineman have seen stunts since AT LEAST JV football in highschool. ive always been more of its execution based more than anything. you cant prepare for everything, just make sure you can execute everything you know at the highest standards

This team just beat New England and scored 30 points on them so I don't believe they are not talented or tough. They are just not well coached and I contend that there's talent on this team to contend for a playoff spot and compete in the play-off's if properly coached. The HC is in over his head and the fact that he's allowed the defense to remain the way it is for this long tells me he's not the guy. I say get a New coach in and give him next year to evaluate the players on the team as 2020 is a big decision year and hopefully they don't go into that year with a new regime trying to asses talent based on the previous regime. Gase is not the guy this team seems to always under perform on the road in big games.
I agree with you, it's the consistent inconsistant nature if our team and the lack of preparation that drives me crazy. Our play calling is poor and the d is confused. If we had quality coaching on both sides of the ball we would win the division this year in my opinion. Another wasted year when the Pats are vulnerable.

how can you watch these games with the constant huge gains by the opponent and anemic offense and say he is a good coach. while all this is happening the guy is sitting on the bench taking his notes.

He's shown his offense can be good when he has good players, not only when he had Manning, but with the Bears as well, and they also had a lot of injuries in his last year there. I don't think he's forgotten how to coach football. Shula and Belichick could have been on the bench together last night and we still wouldn't have won with linemen getting beat right off the snap on almost every play in the 2nd half. And our front 7 on D aren't exactly world beaters either. Let's have a good free agency and draft next spring and go from there. The jury is still out on Gase as far as I'm concerned, and I still give him the benefit of the doubt because this just isn't a very good team yet.

Back
Top Bottom