TUSH PUSH TO BE BANNED??????????? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TUSH PUSH TO BE BANNED???????????

If ya can't beat it, ban it...weak as f***
It used to be a penalty if a player pushed the ball carrier forward for more yards. I would like to see that old rule return. If a ball carrier can’t gain yardage without being pushed forward by his teammates, maybe he needs to look for another job.

It used to be a penalty if a player pushed the ball carrier forward for more yards. I would like to see that old rule return. If a ball carrier can’t gain yardage without being pushed forward by his teammates, maybe he needs to look for another job.
Ya used to not be able to throw a forward pass either.

Ya used to not be able to throw a forward pass either.
The forward pass has been legal since 1906. I wasn’t alive prior to it being illegal. Pushing the ball carrier forward became legal in 2006. I consider the new rule ridiculous but to each his own.

A lot of teams benefit from pushing the ball carrier as much as or more than the Eagles. The Eagles made it popular by using the tush push play at the line of scrimmage, but teams like the Bills push their ball carriers all the time to gain extra yards.

If you ban that, you need to ban any pushing of the ball carrier at all. Make forward progress marked stopped the moment any other player aids the runner.
Yes this is the way to ban it. I like football better without pushing the ball carrier, Just seems too much like rugby / not in the spirit of what I want to see in an nfl game.

Leave this in Fins area for 24 hours then moved to General.

Any one have further info on this?
Peoples thoughts, please discuss.

A lot of people look at this play incorrectly and also don’t understand what changed to make it a controversial topic.

The “brotherly shove”, as it’s currently run, is just a QB sneak — which has been in NFL, College, and High School playbooks for a hundred plus years.

The difference is roughly 15 years ago the NFL changed the long standing rule prohibiting teammates from assisting the ball carrier by pushing or pulling him.

The QB sneak need not be “banned”, just the assisting the ball carrier part of it. Which is how it had been for most of the NFL‘s existence.

Only argument for banning it = defenders aren't allowed to do the same.

No, it’s not the only argument.

One compelling argument for banning it is that it wasn’t a legal play for most of the 100 years the NFL has existed. There was no reason to start allowing it in the first place, as they are making the game unrecognizable from what it once was.

QB sneak = ok. Assisting the ball carrier = not ok. It’s never been part of the game, let alone a topic widely discussed until just recently.

A second compelling argument is player safety. We have to hear about this BS all the time, yet they allow a rugby scrum with 300+ pound men pushing in a massive pile up?

I’m not one that favors all the rule changes sissifying this game, but if the NFL is really committed to and intent on making the game safer — assisting the ball carrier via the push needs to be prohibited as it always had been up to 2006.

That, and banning this crappy field turf…..

Not a fan of the play but this is screaming enforcement issues.

Does one hand on the back of a ball carrier constitute a violation? What if a player is pushed into the back of a ball carrier? Does it take two players pushing to be a violation? if so does one player pushing the ball carrier and another pushing the player pushing the ball carrier create a violation?

So many rules....

Back
Top Bottom