Tyler Thigpen Good As Gone | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tyler Thigpen Good As Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure where some people think that trading Thiggy for a 4th or 5th would be wise. He is young, talented, cheap, & experienced. He only cost us a 5th which is great value for a solid back up at QB. You have to have solid back ups at QB in the NFL. Resigning Pennington is all about him bringing his experience as a mentor to Henne & Thiggy.

White is the odd man out in my opinion. It seems pretty obvious to many here that he is not cut out to be an NFL QB. I think he gets tried at KR/PR and WR.

Wouldn't surprise me to see White get put on the PS if he doesn't improve drastically. From what I've seen of Thigpen, I think he could run the spread option a lot better than White could. I would keep Pennington around just for the mentoring role and leadership he brings to the table.

I think you'll get what you want. I was under the impression that Pennington himself acknowledged that he was coming back to Miami to be QB # THREE on the depth chart. Thigpen would be the backup to Henne. That only leaves the odd man out, PW...

People basically made it seem like I was crazy when I said one of two things would happen to White: He would either be traded to a QB-needy team OR he would be asked to try new positions to make himself more valuable and versatile. This way Miami can let Chad rehab his injury while the experienced Thigpen will back up Henne on gameday while White can still be used in exotic/unusual offensive packages.

I'm sure a lot of PW fans will say "but he was the backup all of last year after Pennington got hurt". In reality, he wasn't the backup. It was Thigpen who was the TRUE backup to Henne. White was only listed as the #2 QB because of his role in the WildPat package (or whatever the hell they called it). If Miami had listed Thigpen as QB#2, bringing White into the game for special plays would have meant that Henne AND Thigpen would no longer be able to play for the rest of the game.

Pennington (at this stage of his career, in additon to coming off injury) SHOULD be the #3 QB and emergency insurance if Henne and/or Thigpen are injured. CP is a good mentor and should continue to help Henne and Thigpen with film-breakdown and study. I believe Pat White will be asked to find a new position (or find a new home) to maximize the roster spots AND the plays used on gamedays.

Just my two cents...

I think Pennington said he was coming in as #3 in order to give due respect to Henne and Thigpen - pure class as ever.

If he's healthy though and they're both in camp he'll beat out Thigpen for the #2 quite easily imo and also ensure that Henne has to play well to remain as the starter (which I'm sure he will). He might not throw the ball like an NFL starter but in every other respect he's all-pro

The competition in camp may well be Thigpen vs White in running the wildpat package

If the depth chart is:

1. Henne
2. White
3. Pennigton

I sure hope Henne doesn't get hurt. The only points we'll be scoring then would be because of a Vontae Davis pick 6.

Hmmm...I am sure that will change man or at least I hope it does. No way White can start over Penny if Henne goes down.

They would not have re-signed Pennington if his health is not coming along at a rate that will enable him to backup Penne this season. When fully healthy, Pennington will arguably be the best backup in the league. Having a good backup is a must-have, so I would not shop Pennington unless it is for a second or third-round pick, which I cannot see happening given his age and injury history. We spent a second-round pick on White, so you know he is sticking around for at least one or two more seasons (And there is no indication he can play any other position). In other words, Thigpen is the odd man out because nobody keeps four QBs on the roster.

I would definitely move Thigpen and a fifth or sixth round pick for Rogers. With Ferguson out for half the season (or perhaps gone if he retires), we definitely need somebody like Rogers.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about Pennington throwing post surgery?

I like the idea of having Pennington on this roster yet I do not want to see Thigpen leave.

In my eyes I am not even convinced about Pennington's ability to play at a high level. His arm is in bad shape. I do not want to rely on his fragile arm if Henne goes down. He is one awkward hit away from a career ending injury. Thigpen should be backup.

I would have been stoked if Pennington was brought in at a coaching position because he is obviously valuable to any team as a leader and teacher.

The idea that some of you have about using him to shop around for a pick makes me feel a bit better about the situation. Even though I have not given up in any way on Pat White, if Pennington must stay, I would rather see Henne/Thigpen/Pennington.

I just don't see anything wrong with Henne as the starter, keeping PW as the wild-whatever, and having Thigpen as the true #2

Obviously there are a lot of scenarios, but bottom line .....one of those four QBs will be gone by the time the season starts. If we keep Pat White it will only be as QB b/c we can't have him using up a roster spot as a WR or KR.

Obviously there are a lot of scenarios, but bottom line .....one of those four QBs will be gone by the time the season starts. If we keep Pat White it will only be as QB b/c we can't have him using up a roster spot as a WR or KR.

So you guys think the team is blowing smoke on thigpen in terms of statements like this.

But as the team also looks toward a future that likely doesn't involve Pennington beyond this year, it plans to maintain a cohesive long-term approach to its continued development of Thigpen as a backup.

Pennington's experience, intelligence and work ethic make this possible. Think of it as a really, really good insurance policy. And think of it as the perfect way to take advantage of an uncapped year.

The Dolphins' plan, barring an offer that's too tempting to ignore, remains to keep both Pennington and Thigpen on the roster.

The new depth chart at quarterback doesn't speak well for the future of second-year quarterback Pat White, making it more important than ever for White to prove worthy of a niche role by the end of training camp.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/09/1519723/the-pennington-plan-has-vet-as.html

Wouldn't surprise me to see White get put on the PS if he doesn't improve drastically. From what I've seen of Thigpen, I think he could run the spread option a lot better than White could. I would keep Pennington around just for the mentoring role and leadership he brings to the table.
He's not PS eligible. He was on our active roster all of last year, giving him an "accrued season of NFL experience". Players with 1 or more accrued season(s) of experience are PS ineligible. An accrued season means six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved- injured or "physically unable to perform" lists.

It would be amazingly dumb to trade Thigpen. If pennington's should does not come back we would have no NFL caliber back up as QB.

Pat White needs to learn a new position or be traded for anything.

Thigpen isn't going to Cleveland, especially since they just picked up Wallace from Seattle. If he is traded, it will be to someone that will send picks our way. Personally I think he would be good to keep.

Tiggy's a keeper and unquestionably has much more value to our team than we will receive in exchange. One possibility our FO might have in mind is packaging White with a few picks for another early pick or to actually move up in the 1st or second round... at least I hope.

Thigpen isn't going to Cleveland, especially since they just picked up Wallace from Seattle. If he is traded, it will be to someone that will send picks our way. Personally I think he would be good to keep.

Hehe. I am sure the Browns fans are all expecting playoffs on the back of that aquisition.

Here's what the NFL Rumors section of ESPN Insider has to say regarding Pennington's spot on the depth chart and the state of Miami's QB core. It seems more like Pat White is the one in trouble...not Thigpen.
After all the hemming and hawing over which team would sign 34-year-old Chad Pennington as their new backup/mentor, he signed pretty quickly back with the Dolphins. It's a comfortable situation for him in the organization, and hey, who wouldn't want to be in Miami during the fall and winter months?

What's interesting, though, is that Chad will slot in as the No. 3 QB for the Fins, at least for now. Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald reports that Tyler Thigpen will be the primary backup to Chad Henne, and will thus get more reps if the situation remains unchanged.

But what about Pat White? Here's Darlington: "The new depth chart at quarterback doesn't speak well for the future of second-year quarterback Pat White, making it more important than ever for White to prove worthy of a niche role by the end of training camp." Not a great return thus far on that second-round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom