Unfortunately, these Jets look like... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Unfortunately, these Jets look like...

LanceyD

Practice Squad
Reaction score
These Jets eerily remind me of the 2001 New England Patriot team that beat the seemingly unstoppable Rams in the Super Bowl...

The reason I say this is in '01 - as I'm sure many of you remember, the Rams were on a tear, they could have easily beaten 30 of the NFL's finest - but one team, the Pats - were the only ones that had a defensive matchup scheme that worked against their "greatest show on turf" - their physical DB's (Ty Law & Co.) jammed the speedy receivers at the line and Brady started his legacy- the rest is history...

The current Jet team we are seeing could just so happen to be another one of these match-ups. Both the Saints and Colts live and die on the ability of their QB to pick apart defenses.... this is the Jets specialty, they rank 1st in Pass defense, have shut down better WRs (minus Ginn) all season long then they will see in the Colts and Saints, and have a tough physical O-Line that pounds and pounds until one of their RB's finally breaks free (ex: Greene's run last week sealing the game)

I know the Saints have shown life in the running game last week (Reggie Bush mainly) but the Jets aren't a slouch against the run either - as much as we all hate the Jets (this is an assumption I feel won't get me flamed) this may just be there year... The matchup I would fear most if I were a Jet fan - would be the Vikings (just FYI I am pulling for the SAINTS to win it all) - the Vikings can throw the ball with the best of them and have the best running back in the league - as well as the best D-Line in the league. If the Jets and Vikings meet in the SB (man, I hope they don't!) it could be one of the most boring games of the season waiting for either team's strength to fail them...

What are ya'lls thoughts? Who do you like and why?

The 01 Pats had Tom Brady. The 09 Jets have Senor Weiner. Advantage Pats.

The Jets remind me more of the SB Ravens team a few years back more than the 01 pats.
As for who they match up against, I believe the ride ends for them this weekend at the Colts. The win during the season was a gift from the Colts, Payton and company will not let that happen again. The jets Offense and Colts D are evenly matched and IMOP will be a wash. If the Colts get up on them early it will be a long day for the Jets D
regardless the outcome The Jets D. has been impressive.

I understand - and acknowledge that the 01 Pats passing offense was a Nuke compared to Dirty's Burrito slinger - but we have seen (this season included) that the Jet's Defense can and most likely will shut down a teams passing game... I am not arguing with what TEAMS are better - I was just pointing out that, as much as it pains me to admit, this may be the year the Jets finally get lucky :-/

I understand - and acknowledge that the 01 Pats passing offense was a Nuke compared to Dirty's Burrito slinger - but we have seen (this season included) that the Jet's Defense can and most likely will shut down a teams passing game... I am not arguing with what TEAMS are better - I was just pointing out that, as much as it pains me to admit, this may be the year the Jets finally get lucky :-/
You could be right, but the Jets shut down the passing game because of 2 things. Darrell Revis and their crazy blitz schemes. Now Reggie Wayne may very well get shut down in this game, but Peyton Manning does not need 1 go to receiver he will throw to guys like Dallas Clark, Austin Collie, and Pierre Garcon like he has done all year. The blitzes will have some success, but once again Peyton is one of the best at recognizing at hitting the hot route.

The Jets have a chance to win this game, but I would still put Indy as a significant favorite.

Well, if they won the Super Bowl that would suck...but I hope to hell they aren't becoming the 2001 Pats and beyond. That would be very bad news for us. In a division where the Pats are still solid...we can't afford to have a team overtake them unless its us.

I don't think so, Colts made the Ravens look silly last week and the Ravens D. is fairly close to the Jets D. in the Stats. I believe that Payton will crave them up over the middle if they start blitzing like mad. Clark could have a career day this sunday.

The Jets remind me of just about every year one team peaks at the right time, plays a favorable schedule (Bengals were the weakest playoff team), and plays a team that under-performs (Kaeding 3 missed field goals, dumb penalites) and gets a little lucky (Revis pick bouncing off receiver's legs).

To compare this team with what turned out to be one of the greatest team's in NFL history is a bit premature I would say.

My money will be on the Colts and under this week. Ravens looked like a better version of the Jets. Indy shut them down. Anyone want to put money on the Jets going all the way I got money that says they won't!

I would say they are more like the Ravens team that won the SB...Lights out D, Best Running game and an EXTREMELY AVERAGE QB (at best).

Oh I certaintly would bet on the Colts if I were a gambling man - but the stars seem to be aligning for Rex and his fairys ...

PS: I just noticed the sticky about playoff posts - and that they should be in "Beat of the East" forum- if someone could move this thread there, or tell me how, that would be greatly appreciated.

Well, in my fantasy challenge, all the kickers I've chosen have choked. Shayne Graham, and now Nate Kaeding, so I chose Jay Feely as my kicker.

Also- the reason I didn't compare them to the 2000 Ravens is because the Ravens were playing the Giants- not by any stretch a dominating team with any glaring strength like the Colts and Saints... Kerry Collins was the QB of that Giant team- much different then the 01 Pats facing Warner (in his prime) and the 2010 Jets facing Manning, Brees, or Favre...

Of coarse this whole thread could be moot if, and hopefully, the Jets lose this weekend :-D

not even close....

Tom Brady was a reason that those Patriots won.

Mark Sanchez is a detriment to the Jests. Since week 4, the Jests are 1-7 in games in which he has 20 attempts. 1 and 7!!!! The 1 win was last weeks game against SD...he completed a grand total of 12 of those 23 attempts for a whopping 100 yards.

Brady attempted 20+ passes in all his 2001 games but 1, earning the Patriots an 11-5 record, division title and first round bye in the process. he through for 300+ in his divisional round win.

I can't wait until 6:30 Sunday so the conversation can finally be out the epic choke job of them losing in the AFC Championship....after all, their coach told everyone they are the favorite to win the Super Bowl....they better not choke!!!

I hope you are right Burger13 - but if you aren't don't say you weren't informed of what MAY happen :p

Back
Top Bottom