Upgrade, Downgrade...Let's Take a Look | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upgrade, Downgrade...Let's Take a Look

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Position by position how has Miami fared this offseason? Let's take a deeper dive.

Here's my scale
++ major upgrade
+ upgrade
0 the same as 2021
- downgrade
-- major downgrade

Quarterback +
Tua has significantly more to work with and Bridgewater is an upgrade at backup over Brissett. Thompson could be in the mix to make the 53 as a potential long-term backup.

Offensive Line +
Armstead is a top 5 caliber LT and Williams is rated highly by PFF as both a pass and run blocker. Miami still has questions with unproven Deiter figuring to start at center and a battle among Eichenberg, Jackson and maybe Jones at RT. Hunt is a potential pro bowl talent. A new coach should help this unit reach its potential.

Running Back ++
Could be a major upgrade if Mostert can stay healthy. Mostert, Edmunds and Michel is a better trio than the Dolphins had to work with last year. Gaskin, White, Doaks and Ahmed could battle for one spot. Ingold was a nice addition at fullback. I liked his play for the Raiders.

Wide Receiver ++
The unexpected trade for Hill was the highlight of the offseason for me. This is a player that DC's have to game plan for and he changes the dynamic of the Dolphins offense. Keeping Gesicki was a big move as well. Waddle, Hill and Gesicki is about as good as it gets. Add in Cedric Wilson and 4th rounder Ezukanma and the Dolphins have potentially upgraded in a major way. Sherfield, Preston Williams and Bowden are likely competing for the final one or two spots. Keeping Smythe at tight end and the possible emergence of Long make tight end at least solid and potentially very good. How many tight ends will McDaniel keep?

Defensive Line 0
Bringing back Ogbah was huge. Basically, this is the same unit from 2021, although I think a pass rushing DE could still be added.

Linebacker +
I love the Tindall pick. Initially I think he'll be a weapon in rushing the passer and spying on those athletic quarterbacks. Phillips in year two should be even better, which is saying a lot. Goode could compete with Scarlett for a spot on the 53. Riley and Roberts were both retained.

Corner/Safety 0
Similar to the defensive line, Miami has virtually the same cast and crew in the secondary. With one more year under his belt, it will be interesting to see how Holland progresses. He could be a perennial pro bowler. Bringing back Needham was an under-the-radar signing. Could year three be the season Iggy emerges? It's now or never for the former 1st rounder.

Special Teams +
Miami upgraded at punter signing one of the best in Morstead, who has a career average of 46.6 per punt.

Can't disagree with any of that with the exception of RB as a small upgrade/ single +

Edmonds, Mostert, Michel are a DEFINITE upgrade but we had a bottom of the barrel group last season, so that's not saying too much... Talentwise, I think we are marginally better (consider that Mostert is basically a part time player with his injury concerns) but the system *should* be much better so we should get better results.

Thats splitting hairs however, and it does look like we upgraded the team across the board... I do have concerns about the DL getting pressure with their standard rush and hope we add another veteran depth piece.

Can't disagree with any of that with the exception of RB as a small upgrade/ single +

Edmonds, Mostert, Michel are a DEFINITE upgrade but we had a bottom of the barrel group last season, so that's not saying too much... Talentwise, I think we are marginally better (consider that Mostert is basically a part time player with his injury concerns) but the system *should* be much better so we should get better results.

Thats splitting hairs however, and it does look like we upgraded the team across the board... I do have concerns about the DL getting pressure with their standard rush and hope we add another veteran depth piece.
That's the one I went back and forth on between a + or ++. Ultimately, it's probably a lot better but maybe league average???

Ingold was really the deciding factor for me. He could be big in those crucial short yardage plays.

Position by position how has Miami fared this offseason? Let's take a deeper dive.

Here's my scale
++ major upgrade
+ upgrade
0 the same as 2021
- downgrade
-- major downgrade

Quarterback +
Tua has significantly more to work with and Bridgewater is an upgrade at backup over Brissett. Thompson could be in the mix to make the 53 as a potential long-term backup.

Offensive Line +
Armstead is a top 5 caliber LT and Williams is rated highly by PFF as both a pass and run blocker. Miami still has questions with unproven Deiter figuring to start at center and a battle among Eichenberg, Jackson and maybe Jones at RT. Hunt is a potential pro bowl talent. A new coach should help this unit reach its potential.

Running Back ++
Could be a major upgrade if Mostert can stay healthy. Mostert, Edmunds and Michel is a better trio than the Dolphins had to work with last year. Gaskin, White, Doaks and Ahmed could battle for one spot. Ingold was a nice addition at fullback. I liked his play for the Raiders.

Wide Receiver ++
The unexpected trade for Hill was the highlight of the offseason for me. This is a player that DC's have to game plan for and he changes the dynamic of the Dolphins offense. Keeping Gesicki was a big move as well. Waddle, Hill and Gesicki is about as good as it gets. Add in Cedric Wilson and 4th rounder Ezukanma and the Dolphins have potentially upgraded in a major way. Sherfield, Preston Williams and Bowden are likely competing for the final one or two spots. Keeping Smythe at tight end and the possible emergence of Long make tight end at least solid and potentially very good. How many tight ends will McDaniel keep?

Defensive Line 0
Bringing back Ogbah was huge. Basically, this is the same unit from 2021, although I think a pass rushing DE could still be added.

Linebacker +
I love the Tindall pick. Initially I think he'll be a weapon in rushing the passer and spying on those athletic quarterbacks. Phillips in year two should be even better, which is saying a lot. Goode could compete with Scarlett for a spot on the 53. Riley and Roberts were both retained.

Corner/Safety 0
Similar to the defensive line, Miami has virtually the same cast and crew in the secondary. With one more year under his belt, it will be interesting to see how Holland progresses. He could be a perennial pro bowler. Bringing back Needham was an under-the-radar signing. Could year three be the season Iggy emerges? It's now or never for the former 1st rounder.

Special Teams +
Miami upgraded at punter signing one of the best in Morstead, who has a career average of 46.6 per punt.

O-line - I consider the 40% of the line they changed, the quality of the additions…and the major upgrade in the experience and quality of offensive line coaching to be a major upgrade

Here's my scale
++ major upgrade
+ upgrade
0 the same as 2021
- downgrade
-- major downgrade

Quarterback +

Offensive Line +

Running Back ++

Wide Receiver ++

Defensive Line 0

Linebacker +

Corner/Safety 0

Special Teams +
When you include the overall coaching staff now compared to last year, I give the offensive coaching staff two ++ and the defensive staff one + because of the addition of Madison and Surtain.

When you include the overall coaching staff now compared to last year, I give the offensive coaching staff two ++ and the defensive staff one + because of the addition of Madison and Surtain.
I think some ppl are underestimating the impact this staff will have on the offense. Not only from a competence aspect, but also from a philosophy standpoint.

I'm not sure Flores ever had a complete and coherent offensive philosophy, and there is no doubt in my mind that he didn't know how to develop either players or staff on that side of the ball.

O-line - I consider the 40% of the line they changed, the quality of the additions…and the major upgrade in the experience and quality of offensive line coaching to be a major upgrade
I agree with his single + comment... few comments, in addition to OP's comments about question marks still at C and RT we have depth concerns and an LT who is all but guaranteed to miss games.

Hopefully Armstead magically becomes crazy durable this year... but imagine him sitting out, lets say, 4 games. For those games you have Eich/AJ starting at LT and the only new/real upgrade is Williams at LG. The coaching and experience should naturally make this group better by default... but you just don't know FOR SURE.

With that in mind, anything more than a single + is just foolishly optimistic. We have potential to be great, Tua does too... but nothing is a guarantee.

Again, splitting hairs... but hey, that's what this time of the year is for... mindless babbling while you wait for the season.

Last edited:
Definitely think it will be, but it has to be considered a question mark.

Back
Top Bottom