Van Gundy: Heat will break Bulls' 72-win mark | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Van Gundy: Heat will break Bulls' 72-win mark

Scottie played the role of top three defensive player in the league. Scottie could score from anywhere on the floor, dish the ball, and rebound. That's elite status. You are severely underrating Scottie Pippen. Dude had more length than anyone in the league back then.

Scottie played the role of top three defensive player in the league. Scottie could score from anywhere on the floor, dish the ball, and rebound. That's elite status. You are severely underrating Scottie Pippen. Dude had more length than anyone in the league back then.

He was a 32% career 3P shooter, he wasn't a great scorer. He got alot of open looks b/c of the attention on Michael and had alot of dunks off steals yet still never shot a high % from the field or from 3. He was a great defensive player and a great role player, he wasn't a superstar.

55 - 27 without Jordan the following year. That's two less wins with Jordan. Pete Myers was his sidekick. 32% from three-point range isn't terrible. All-Star MVP. Chuck Daly said he was the best player on the team. Pippen gets the sidekick tag because of how great Jordan was. Stick Pippen in Utah with Stockton and Malone in Chicago with Mike and Pippen becomes the "superstar" and Malone becomes the "sidekick."

55 - 27 without Jordan the following year. That's two less wins with Jordan. Pete Myers was his sidekick. 32% from three-point range isn't terrible. All-Star MVP. Chuck Daly said he was the best player on the team. Pippen gets the sidekick tag because of how great Jordan was. Stick Pippen in Utah with Stockton and Malone in Chicago with Mike and Pippen becomes the "superstar" and Malone becomes the "sidekick."

Most of that team had been on the ride for 3 straight titles, they rode the fumes of that. The next year they were only 34-31 until Michael came back then they finished 13-4 to end the reg season. They would have continued getting worse and worse had Micahel not come back.

Scottie was still in his prime when he went to Portland and they had an immensly talented team- why couldn't he even get to the Finals w/ them?

You are sayng Pippen was better than Malone? Come on:lol:

Chuck Daly said Pippen was the best player on the '94 Bulls and this comes as a surprise?

Chuck Daly said Scottie Pippen was the best player on the team...when Mike was there.

I'm not saying Scottie was better than Malone. What I'm saying is that Scottie and Malone are very similar. But if you swap them, Scottie gets that superstar tag because he's the superstar in Utah. Malone gets the sidekick tag because everyone stands in awe of Jordan regardless of how good his "sidekick" is. But either way, both are great players. But Malone's greatness gets overshadowed because of Jordan. And that's what happens with Pippen. Pippen was great. But a lot of people couldn't see it.

Chuck Daly said Scottie Pippen was the best player on the team...when Mike was there.

I'm not saying Scottie was better than Malone. What I'm saying is that Scottie and Malone are very similar. But if you swap them, Scottie gets that superstar tag because he's the superstar in Utah. Malone gets the sidekick tag because everyone stands in awe of Jordan regardless of how good his "sidekick" is. But either way, both are great players. But Malone's greatness gets overshadowed because of Jordan. And that's what happens with Pippen. Pippen was great. But a lot of people couldn't see it.

Please pull up that quote and whether he actually said it or not I think we know it's an incorrect statement- one that is pretty laughable.

No, I think Malone still would have been a star. A star is a star and Pippen wasn't a star- not a superstar. Great defensive player, great role payer but not a superstar.

Any champ from the 80s, any of the 90s Bulls team, any of the lakers earl 00s teams, probably even one or two of those Champion Spurs teams.

Are U serious??? Dude, we have Wade AND Lebron now... AND Bosh! But hey... just wait and see.

Are U serious??? Dude, we have Wade AND Lebron now... AND Bosh! But hey... just wait and see.

That's great but:

the 80s Lakers had Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Cooper, Scott, etc...

the 83 Sixers had Moses Malone, Dr. J, Mo Cheeks, Bobby Jones,... That team lost ONE postseason game in 1983 and swept a great Laker team.

the 80s Celtics had Bird, McHale, Parrish, Dennis Johnson, etc...

The '89 and '90 Pistons had isiah, Dumars, Laimbeer, Rodman, etc...

The Heat over the next few years have alot of work to do to get in the converstaion w/ those teams. They may turn out better but today on paper they aren't.

To me they're pretty good on paper......we'll have to wait to see what transpires on the court. I don't think the NBA has even seen two players of this caliber come together.....some say West/Baylor, but that was well before my time.

Some other former Heatians chiming in:

Stan Van Gundy - “Most people would still take Michael over Lebron, but Wade is much better than Pippen. Bosh is way ahead of Kukoc. Mike Miller is a better shooter than Paxson or BJ Armstrong. The Heat roster is the best that the NBA has ever seen.”

Caron Butler - "When I think of the Miami Heat now, I think … history. They could do it. You've got to pace yourself mentally, because it’s such a long season. You do that, but you can’t pace yourself physically. Once you get out on the floor, you’ve got to just lay it all out there. And if D-Wade, King James and Bosh do that? That’s as much talent assembled on one team as I’ve ever seen"

Some other former Heatians chiming in:

Stan Van Gundy - “Most people would still take Michael over Lebron, but Wade is much better than Pippen. Bosh is way ahead of Kukoc. Mike Miller is a better shooter than Paxson or BJ Armstrong. The Heat roster is the best that the NBA has ever seen.”

Caron Butler - "When I think of the Miami Heat now, I think … history. They could do it. You've got to pace yourself mentally, because it’s such a long season. You do that, but you can’t pace yourself physically. Once you get out on the floor, you’ve got to just lay it all out there. And if D-Wade, King James and Bosh do that? That’s as much talent assembled on one team as I’ve ever seen"

That's just Van Gundy trying to put more pressure on the Heat.

More pressure than the championship or bust? Stan just likes to talk.....still hasn't quite gotten through to him that people pay to attention to him now that hes a head coach. At least the media does.....his players have probably tuned him out by now.

More pressure than the championship or bust? Stan just likes to talk.....still hasn't quite gotten through to him that people pay to attention to him now that hes a head coach. At least the media does.....his players have probably tuned him out by now.

When you start to compare them to all time great teams before they have ever played together yeah there's mopre pressure than just winning a championship.

Back
Top Bottom