Veteran Exemption?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Veteran Exemption??

pacresjt

Active Roster
Reaction score
I was reading Miami has asked for a new rule regarding veterans. I’m not sure exactly what they are asking for? It got me thinking that a lot of Veteran players such as Frank Gore who can still contribute don’t get spots because there is only so much room. I say this, if a player plays 10 years in the league and is willing to play for the veteran Minnimun or a $1,000,000 max they should not be counted against the cap or the 53 man roster. I think this would give players much needed breaks, cut down on injuries, provide mentorship and perhaps help some guys who spent their money unwisely get a few extra years and bucks to set them selves up for retirement since they sacrificed their bodies and brains.

Maybe I’m naive and something like this has been talked about but if it has it hasn’t been talked about enough! if you agree like this post and let’s try and make some noise about this on other sites and to the league. Let this gain some momentum! There is nothing wrong with teams carrying a veteran squad much like a practice squad!!

Yes Miami wants a new rule on veteran free agent signings over 30 only as this is their target age group. A tiered rule in fact as follows

30 year old plus signings to include a gift card for unlimited dinners at Bonanza and bottomless coffee at any diner in America.

35 year old plus signings get previous gifts and also three pairs of all white New Balance Tennis shoes with Velcro ties and a mint condition 1978 Ford Grenada.

40 year old plus signings get all previous gifts plus a case of Aqua Velva, two cartons on Camel studs, and unlimited tubes of V05 hair gel.

Only way if we can convince Tom Brady. He makes the rules..

Seems reasonable to me. I don't see how a team could get an unfair advantage this way.

See the prior 2 post

The prior 2 posts were jokes. I am suggesting a limit like a practice squad and players (5-7 per team) who may still have something to contribute. I don’t think NE would be the only destination, there are at least 100 guys that don’t get signed because teams have to build and develop for the future and vets get passed over. If it were a player who filled in for injuries you would have a guy who could contribute for a few weeks and not have to push the injured player to rush back helping extend his career. They would have to take a million or less. I seriously doubt a player who can command more would go to NE for minimum pay. Maybe someone has something more to contribute than jokes. These guys put their bodies and minds on the line, I think it’s a good idea to keep some vets in the league who would otherwise be unemployed with a hard time adjusting. Terrell Owens comes to mind. This guy got ripped off by his business manager and could have contributed to a team for 2 more years filling in for injured players and mentoring the young guys. This would at least have helped him secure a home and some financial security for all that he contributed to the game.

The prior 2 posts were jokes. I am suggesting a limit like a practice squad and players (5-7 per team) who may still have something to contribute. I don’t think NE would be the only destination, there are at least 100 guys that don’t get signed because teams have to build and develop for the future and vets get passed over. If it were a player who filled in for injuries you would have a guy who could contribute for a few weeks and not have to push the injured player to rush back helping extend his career. They would have to take a million or less. I seriously doubt a player who can command more would go to NE for minimum pay. Maybe someone has something more to contribute than jokes. These guys put their bodies and minds on the line, I think it’s a good idea to keep some vets in the league who would otherwise be unemployed with a hard time adjusting. Terrell Owens comes to mind. This guy got ripped off by his business manager and could have contributed to a team for 2 more years filling in for injured players and mentoring the young guys. This would at least have helped him secure a home and some financial security for all that he contributed to the game.
I don't think it was a joke. That is very much an actual concern. Also if that's how you feel than the best approach would be to increase the total amount of players on a team. If they can still contribute they will be signed. This would eliminate the best unsigned player simply looking to join a top 5 team at the end of their career.

I appreciate a real comment. I doubt very much NE with a 5 player veteran squad would be grabbing top free agents to play for under a million. It I do think roster sizes do need to increase. I agree with that wholeheartedly.

g
See the prior 2 post
Listen, I've lived in New England my entire life. I despise the Patriots, but you have to hand it to them, they know what they're doing. That does not make an unfair advantage. That makes you up your game. Until we do we will always be inferior.

Back
Top Bottom