Veteran NFL personnel executives assess wisdom of the Miami Dolphins’ plan for rebuild | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Veteran NFL personnel executives assess wisdom of the Miami Dolphins’ plan for rebuild

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Over the past two days, we’ve gathered feedback from Jimmy Johnson and ESPN analyst and former Redskins and Eagles pro personnel director Louis Riddick for insight on what the Dolphins are doing.

In today’s piece, we solicit input from three people who have been NFL general managers and a scout. Their thoughts:

▪ Former Tampa Bay general manager Mark Dominik, who hosts a show on Sirius XM Radio, didn’t like the Laremy Tunsil trade for this reason:

“I like coach [Brian] Flores a lot,” Dominik said by phone. “I know he means what he’s saying in terms of not tanking. But you just told the locker room something completely different by trading Tunsil. I understand when the Texans offer more and more [that it’s tempting for Dolphins general manager Chris Grier] but I don’t know if it’s worth what message it sends to your team. You’ve told your team that this year doesn’t matter. To me, it’s a lose/lose [trade]. The Texans gave up too much. And finding a quality left tackle is not easy. The world is littered with left tackles who are not good enough.”

Dominik indicates this Dolphins plan is far from foolproof.

Over the past two days, we’ve gathered feedback from Jimmy Johnson and ESPN analyst and former Redskins and Eagles pro personnel director Louis Riddick for insight on what the Dolphins are doing.

In today’s piece, we solicit input from three people who have been NFL general managers and a scout. Their thoughts:

▪ Former Tampa Bay general manager Mark Dominik, who hosts a show on Sirius XM Radio, didn’t like the Laremy Tunsil trade for this reason:

“I like coach [Brian] Flores a lot,” Dominik said by phone. “I know he means what he’s saying in terms of not tanking. But you just told the locker room something completely different by trading Tunsil. I understand when the Texans offer more and more [that it’s tempting for Dolphins general manager Chris Grier] but I don’t know if it’s worth what message it sends to your team. You’ve told your team that this year doesn’t matter. To me, it’s a lose/lose [trade]. The Texans gave up too much. And finding a quality left tackle is not easy. The world is littered with left tackles who are not good enough.”

Dominik indicates this Dolphins plan is far from foolproof.

This year at 6-10 with Tunsil (if we were lucky) really mattered a whole hell of a lot more than it does now at 5-10 (if we're lucky)! Thanks Mark Domischmuck!

To be fair, we're definitely a 2 win team now. Fair trade regardless.
I don't think Tunsil makes a one game difference in this season, to be honest. If you think we're a 2-3 win team now, we were a 2-3 win prior to the trade. I was just pointing out the idiocy of Domenik's statement that trading Tunsil somehow blew a hole in what was shaping up to be a successful (on the field) 2019 for Your Miami Dolphins.

I don't think Tunsil makes a one game difference in this season, to be honest. If you think we're a 2-3 win team now, we were a 2-3 win prior to the trade. I was just pointing out the idiocy of Domenik's statement that trading Tunsil somehow blew a hole in what was shaping up to be a successful (on the field) 2019 for Your Miami Dolphins.

I thought we were a 4 win team. I think we're a 2ish win team now. Battle to the bottom really... different shades of horrible at that point.

I’m gonna say it. Tunsil is ****ing overrated and we got way more than he’s worth. He’s not even a top 10 Tackle in the league. He may be ascending. Then again, what if he’s not? He takes more penalties, and whiffs and assignments more than a guy who’s “all world” should. Jake Long his first few years was night and day better than Tunsil. Not even close. If we had traded X for 2 1’s and a 2 I’d understand the backlash. With Tunsil I don’t get it. Let’s be real. He’s underachieved relative to how hyped he is. I predict we won’t be talking about Tunsil a year from now but we will be talking about our first and second round picks that we got for him. **** Houston - morons.

For what we got. I have no issues trading Tunsil. We retained Howard. Which was the right call. We would've kept Tunsil too, had they not received such an offer. Now let's just hope the Dolphins are tremendously improved with the players that Grier chooses with those picks.

I’m gonna say it. Tunsil is ****ing overrated and we got way more than he’s worth. He’s not even a top 10 Tackle in the league. He may be ascending. Then again, what if he’s not? He takes more penalties, and whiffs and assignments more than a guy who’s “all world” should. Jake Long his first few years was night and day better than Tunsil. Not even close. If we had traded X for 2 1’s and a 2 I’d understand the backlash. With Tunsil I don’t get it. Let’s be real. He’s underachieved relative to how hyped he is. I predict we won’t be talking about Tunsil a year from now but we will be talking about our first and second round picks that we got for him. **** Houston - morons.
The trade was way in our favor even if Tunsil is a franchise left tackle. It doesn't require any shitting on Tunsil window dressing :)

Back
Top Bottom