Veteran NFL personnel executives assess wisdom of the Miami Dolphins’ plan for rebuild | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Veteran NFL personnel executives assess wisdom of the Miami Dolphins’ plan for rebuild

For what we got. I have no issues trading Tunsil. We retained Howard. Which was the right call. We would've kept Tunsil too, had they not received such an offer. Now let's just hope the Dolphins are tremendously improved with the players that Grier chooses with those picks.
We could trade those three high picks for 3, 4, 5, 6 young proven veterans in the off season (theoretically).

Soon this type of conjecture will stop. Actual games VERY soon. Then we'll be talking about things that happened instead of if and buts.

Glad you were NOT in position to turn down two R1s and an R2!

You must consider Tunsil ALL WORLD!

Good pass pro.

Not so good in the run game...
Two low firsts and a second has gotten us the likes of Charles Harris, Jared Odrick, Koa Misi, jamar fletcher, jamar Taylor the list goes on and on. It’s a crap shoot, This is a business of getting talent, not losing it. I’m also glad your not in a position to make decisions as well. Who’s gonna keep Tua from not getting destroyed? Whoever gets the number 1 pick isn’t going to trade it. So now you still gotta go out and get protection for Tua.

Last edited:
Two low firsts and a second has gotten us the likes of Charles Harris, Jared Odrick, Koa Misi, jamar fletcher, jamar Taylor the list goes on and on. It’s a crap shoot, This is a business of getting talent, not losing it. I’m also glad your not in a position to make decisions as well. Who’s gonna keep Tua from not getting destroyed? Whoever gets the number 1 pick isn’t going to trade it. So now you still gotta go out and get protection for Tua.
Sign a stud veteran with your 150 million plus in cap space and use zero of your draft capital. Have to spend 89% of your cap (on a rolling 4 year average). Might as well use it on young, proven Offensive Linemen.

It’s not about what our record will be this year with or without Tunsil, it’s what will our record be with and without Tunsil in 2020 and beyond. We had a sure thing with Tunsil and he was our future and a proven LT. You better hit on your draft picks or it will get ugly really quick. Not like Miami has the best track record in drafting.

Prior to the purge (LT, Kiko, McDonald, etc) I thought we were a 10-6 or 6-10 win team. However, since then I think we will still be competitive, but will lack class and experience in areas and be a 4-5 win team.

Not all gloom and doom.

Soon this type of conjecture will stop. Actual games VERY soon. Then we'll be talking about things that happened instead of if and buts.
Lol...you don't really beleive that do you?

I still see posters whining about picking MG over Goedart 2 years ago, amd moves made by philbin, 2 regimes ago.

The only thing that will stop that in winning, and playoff runs on a consistant basis.

It’s not about what our record will be this year with or without Tunsil, it’s what will our record be with and without Tunsil in 2020 and beyond. We had a sure thing with Tunsil and he was our future and a proven LT. You better hit on your draft picks or it will get ugly really quick. Not like Miami has the best track record in drafting.

That's okay! I'd much rather this team takes it's chances with a lot of money and draft picks.

In the end, everyone is entitled to their opinions. But the opinions that matter most are of the Miami Dolphins. Whether Tunsil remained or not, the expectations were very low. How the "Tank" mantra came about is widely speculated by fans and league executives. All that matters is the end result. Whether it takes 10 years, like the Cleveland Browns or less, is up to the Dolphins Franchise. There are no guarantees of a losing or winning season. Because as we all know, its the unexpected that usually wins out. If Miami does this right, those executives will all spin it in a more positive light, from what they are currently saying. Just like they always do.

This is what I don't get. The so-called experts are saying that trading Tunsil sends the message to the team that the season doesn't matter. I say bull crap! Watch what happens if a player decides that they are going to take the season off and only give a half-assed effort in a game. Flores is a team-first coach. Players that aren't doing their job and looking out for their teammates are going to be shown the door. It's that simple, and the Herald is trying to make a bigger deal out it than they should. Not surprised.

Despite the talk of the LT position being overvalued by the NFL, I still think you need a decent blindside protector for a young QB, and those are worth their weight in gold because they're so rare. It took me a while to get over the shock and disappointment of trading Tunsil … but it is a legitimate gamble that has a real chance of paying off. If we believe that securing a top echelon QB is imperative and that nothing else matters until we do that, then this was the right move. If we believe that we will also need a LT--and I do (unless we draft a left handed QB like Tua)--then we've just played Russian Roulette with our young QB's confidence when we do eventually find him. Can we find that LT before we destroy the young QB's confidence and he starts getting twitchy and gun shy?

So, I agree with Charlie Casserly and most of these evaluators that we're doing the right thing trying to get out of the rut of 8-8 mediocrity. That mediocrity treadmill prevents us from ever challenging for anything--no division titles, no conference titles, no Super Bowl titles, hell, not even a single playoff win since Marino retired. IMHO, we need to make a drastic move. THE most important thing is that we secure the right coach, and I do not know whether Coach Flo is that guy or not. Heck, because we're tanking right out of the gate, we may not know until we're well down the tank-->rebuild road, so its really like crossing our fingers. After that, QB is the most important, and this process gives us the best chance of securing one.

Regardless of whether we're great or not, we're giving ourselves the best shot of acquiring a top notch QB. Nothing is guaranteed, but this strategy almost assures us of building an exciting offense and having a good shot at building a truly contending team. We hired a defensive minded head coach to ensure the defense is adequate. We're tanking hard to secure a top notch QB to assure that we have a potent offense. We're committed to a plan and timeline. Grier is doing a masterful job acquiring draft capital. The stage is set. The plan is sound. I think it's worth a shot. Now we fans just need to keep the faith until we're on the other side of this thing and can evaluate whether it succeeded or not. I'm willing to keep the faith, and I hope everyone else is too.

Back
Top Bottom