Veteran RB Options for the Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Veteran RB Options for the Miami Dolphins

DolphinsTalk

Active Roster
Reaction score

Miami is probably going to add someone to their RB room, it may be someone listed in this article. It could be someone else.

Don’t want any of those suggestions outside of Kerryon Johnson and only bc he’s young. The other guys are too ancient (no offense to Gore).

I'm not sure that I understand this obsession with Running Backs...

1. The position has been GREATLY devalued from the old days. The rules have changed to make this a passing league, first... and last. If you are looking for a RB, he'd better be what we used to call the West-Coast style of Running Back-- a pass catcher... Alvin Kamara, Roger Craig.
2. The Bellichick coaching style believes in running back by committee. And we have a committee now... Gaskin caught 41 passes in 10 games last year. Ahmed might be as good as Gaskin. Brown is a thumper and a goal line back and he too can catch. Then we added Doaks, who looks like he might actually be a three down back...

I think that many here are trying to obtain something that might not even exist-- a 1970s style RB and a 1970s style offense.

Don’t want any of those suggestions outside of Kerryon Johnson and only bc he’s young. The other guys are too ancient (no offense to Gore).
K Johnson was claimed by the Eagles off waivers. And I agree with you about the other Rbs available.

1. The position has been GREATLY devalued from the old days. The rules have changed to make this a passing league, first... and last. If you are looking for a RB, he'd better be what we used to call the West-Coast style of Running Back-- a pass catcher... Alvin Kamara, Roger Craig.
2. The Bellichick coaching style believes in running back by committee. And we have a committee now... Gaskin caught 41 passes in 10 games last year. Ahmed might be as good as Gaskin. Brown is a thumper and a goal line back and he too can catch. Then we added Doaks, who looks like he might actually be a three down back...

I think that many here are trying to obtain something that might not even exist-- a 1970s style RB and a 1970s style offense.
i rarely if ever advocate drafting a running back in the first round, or the first half of the second round.

i didn't this year.

but i would like one of two things, or both: an alvin kamara/christian mccaffrey type of back that is a threat to house it every time you hand it to him or throw it to him (and you throw it to him a lot).

a derrick henry type, who may not ever (or rarely) house it, but is so powerful he just demolishes the other team and they are unable to stop him in the 4th quarter.

i don't see anything like that on the team right now.

not too many of those kinds of players exist. etienne might be kamara-like, so i wanted him in this draft, but not at 18.

People want a RB that scares the defense a bit. Most expect RPO to be a significant part of the offense and you need the defense to believe that a run is coming and could hurt them for the pass part to be most effective. A big part of that is just attempts. As long as the coaches don't abandon the run game, the RPO can be somewhat effective. But if you have a back that can break some tackles on his own and/or get some long runs then the RPO's effectiveness hits another level. (Basically an accurate QB with a quick release, WRs who can get quick separation and a RB that will make you pay for sitting back looking for the pass is a tough ask for any defense).

That's the vision rather than some 70's offense. And while Gaskin was good he probably doesn't scare defenses. The fact is that while our offense was improved last year and Gaskins got a respectable number of yards, we were among the league worst at breaking tackles and +20 yard runs. It is perfectly reasonable to look at an area where your team was one of the worst in the league and want to improve there. We can expect some improvement from the OL development and some from the better spacing our upgraded WRs should provide. But whatever that improvement is, it would obviously be even better with a more dynamic back.

Agree with your points but still want that back who will pick up a 3rd or 4th short down yards consistently. Then at the end of the game I want a back that can milk the clock and keep the other offense on the bench. Those 2 things done consistently than a back who breaks big runs every now and then.

Certainly no one on this list .... but I am ok with our current backs they will be fine for this year ... then we can look at it again next year ...

There will always be RBs available now ... it’s just the landscape now, and they will come cheap - just not any REALLY good ones ...

Back
Top Bottom