Vince Young, the one y'all have been yearning to see | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vince Young, the one y'all have been yearning to see

HysterikiLL said:
KB, I'm really surprised to see a comment like this come from you. What I've been saying all along is clearly coming out in this thread -- The only people who seem to talk Vince up are his loyal fans who see his potential, talking heads on ESPN who like the shock value and unjustified opinionaters who make one post and disappear -- In actuality though, the only reason Vince Young is so 'overrated' is because so many people call him 'overrated' and talk about him (most talk being generated from hatred towards him).

To make a comment so bold is really not something I would think I'd see from a 'Draft Guru' but that's your opinion and I respect that. But I just pose this question to you or anyone....what has Vince Young done wrong that has screwed his team up so badly?

On to todays game. Kansas have a very good defensive backfield. He passed well against them. There is really nothing more he could've done apart from having a 100% completion rating -- he was very very good. So why are you people taking such disdain towards his performance? I also disagree with all saying his passes were horrible or poorly thrown -- Today he passed very well. I've gone through his film and there were three passes that he telegraphed poorly -- apart from that, he had some very very nice passes, his vision is clearly improving, his confidence in the pocket was excellent.

Also, remember -- this guy is a Sophomore who intends to return. He never said he was ready and it seems apparent that another year in the college system will only do good to his qualities as a passer. He is clearly a better pocket passer than last season, he is also running better. So why exactly is this guy a dignified, guaranteed NFL bust?
you just don't get it....you're judging him on his college career, not looking at things that must be done as an NFL QB. your mind says "he does good here, he'll do good in the NFL." it just doesn't work that way. his decision making, his arm strength, his tendency to run before passing, the way he floats the balls, his mechanics.....he's really just a mobile version of ken dorsey

and he's a junior

HysterikiLL said:
KB, I'm really surprised to see a comment like this come from you. What I've been saying all along is clearly coming out in this thread -- The only people who seem to talk Vince up are his loyal fans who see his potential, talking heads on ESPN who like the shock value and unjustified opinionaters who make one post and disappear -- In actuality though, the only reason Vince Young is so 'overrated' is because so many people call him 'overrated' and talk about him (most talk being generated from hatred towards him).

To make a comment so bold is really not something I would think I'd see from a 'Draft Guru' but that's your opinion and I respect that. But I just pose this question to you or anyone....what has Vince Young done wrong that has screwed his team up so badly?

On to todays game. Kansas have a very good defensive backfield. He passed well against them. There is really nothing more he could've done apart from having a 100% completion rating -- he was very very good. So why are you people taking such disdain towards his performance? I also disagree with all saying his passes were horrible or poorly thrown -- Today he passed very well. I've gone through his film and there were three passes that he telegraphed poorly -- apart from that, he had some very very nice passes, his vision is clearly improving, his confidence in the pocket was excellent.

Also, remember -- this guy is a Sophomore who intends to return. He never said he was ready and it seems apparent that another year in the college system will only do good to his qualities as a passer. He is clearly a better pocket passer than last season, he is also running better. So why exactly is this guy a dignified, guaranteed NFL bust?

He's overrated because everyone thinks he's a surefire top 10 pick AS A QUARTERBACK when he declares. He's nowhere near being a quarterback in the NFL. The ONLY way I'd draft him in the first round is if he agreed to move to the position he should be playing, wide receiver. I have seen nothing in his game that makes me believe he has a shot at playing quarterback in the NFL. The ONLY reason he will get a shot at playing quarterback is this media propagated idea that an athlete can play the quarterback position in the NFL. To play quarterback in the NFL, you HAVE to be a PASSER. You have to be able to make presnap reads, go through your progressions, read the defense, and pass the ball accurately FROM THE POCKET. Vince Young does not do any of this well. His calling card is his athleticism. That's it. Whatever GM that drafts him in the first round as a quarterback will lose his job within 3-4 years of drafting him.

Vince Young is a one read and run quarterback that has a terrible release point, and based on what I've seen, his accuracy falls to pieces past 10 yards despite having a pretty good arm. There is going to be a big difference in throwing to wide open receivers against the competition he has faced at Texas and throwing the ball into the tight spaces he will see in the NFL. I've seen nothing in his game that makes me believe he can do it.

I watched D.J. Shockley last night, and he's so much further advanced as a quarterback than Vince Young despite this being his first full season as a starter that it is obvious the only reason Vince Young is this popular is the media.

As a draft guru, the best pro prospects at the quarterback position in college football are, in no particular order:

Matt Leinart, USC
Brady Quinn, Notre Dame
Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt
Paul Pinegar, Fresno State

There are some younger guys that won't be eligible this year but will be good prospects when they are elgibile. They include Brian Brohm at Louisville and Chad Henne at Michigan.

These threads are comical. Why?

a.) Draft experts are projecting him as a top ten pick as a QB if he declares. I guess this board is more football smart than actual scouts and coaches.

b.) Posters keep stating that they saw him float a touchdown pass on Sportscenter. In reality, Young threw probably 25-30 more passes than what they show on Sportscenter. Sportscenter doesn't show him throwing absolutely accurate intermediate passes 10-15 times a game. They don't show that he sits in the pocket now and simply doesn't run until he has to.

c.) Overrated? You mean the way he singlehandedly battled Michigan in the Rose Bowl. Since then he's only become a better passer and is breaking a lot more ankles.

d.) Comparisons to Vick. Everytime I read this, its proof that 99% of you haven't seen him play a game since his redshirt freshman year, or they base him on solely on the Rose Bowl last year. Young's game is much more akin to a Culpepper or Randall Cunningham. Vick ran lots of option and threw lots of short and deep balls in college. Young on the other hand, plays in a very balanced offense. Its not a chuck and duck like Philly. Its not an option offense(Though they will hit you with it big a couple of timese each game) or heavily run offense like VT. Young take lots of snaps from under center, and drops back like any other QB. He's not a rollout type qb. Most of his big runs come from scrambles(Though he will kill on the occasional zone read or draw). He throws a ton of intermediate passes crossing or to the sidelines. He truly spreads the ball around as you can see from the stat sheet. He simply is not a Vick type qb. The only comparison is that they are fast and have strong arms. Vick faster, Vince has better moves and breaks more tackles(of course, he's a much bigger guy). But that's where it ends. I really wouldn't mind seeing him running an offense like Philly. Defenses leave huge running lanes because they are so spread out. He would murder anyone.

e.) You guys speak of these "fundamental", prototype QBs as if that gurantees success in the NFL. The NFL is filled with Kyle Boller's and Ryan leaf's that suck and were drafted very high. Its actually the norm as you can see the league is not filled with great QBs. If I'm a team like Detroit, I'd much rather have Vince Young scaring the crap out of the defense and leaving 1 on 1 coverage outside than Joey Harrington throwing the ball up for grabs or out of bounds. At least Vince can move the chains on those plays.

rantanamo said:
These threads are comical. Why?

a.) Draft experts are projecting him as a top ten pick as a QB if he declares. I guess this board is more football smart than actual scouts and coaches.
actually they are pretty dumb. as evidenced by:
The NFL is filled with Kyle Boller's and Ryan leaf's that suck and were drafted very high.
young has no shot in the NFL

kastofsna120 said:
actually they are pretty dumb. as evidenced by:

young has no shot in the NFL

I completely disagree with that. Young can succeed in the NFL, especially in the Fins implement the system the running game that Atlanta is using to protect Vick.

Back
Top Bottom