Vince Young's Wonderlick Score | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vince Young's Wonderlick Score

Dredd1050

A STRONG MAN SHEDS BLOOD BEFORE TEARS
Reaction score
First he scored a 12, then he re-took it and scored a 16.

It is a HUGE red flag when a QB scores in the teens. Remember what this test is. I've taken it before. The first question on my copy was "what is the 9th month of the year?".

Thoughts?

The NFL has had its representatives say that the number reported on his first test was innacurate and shouldnt be taken seriously

John Clayton reports he retook it and scored a 16, and plans on taking it again

A score in the teens doesnt throw a red flag seeing as Marino scored a 14 or 16 *forget which*

By the way, the wonderlic test gets progressivly harder, if all questions were all that easy then everyone would score a 50

Alex22 said:
By the way, the wonderlic test gets progressivly harder, if all questions were all that easy then everyone would score a 50

Whats that have to do with him scoring so low? Its not like they gave him a harder one than everybody else.

SpeedRush99 said:
Whats that have to do with him scoring so low?

He didnt score low

The NFL has come out and said that the reports are false, that the representative has seen the score and the reports are incorrect

16 isnt all that bad, he is expected to retake it after studying some and score in the 20's

Colin Cowherd is reeling off the scores of other QBs. Marino is the ONLY QB he named that scored under a 20 (15) that had great success.

Others were:

Akili Smith-15
David Klingler-15
Dante-16
Heath Shuler-14

Anyone know the rules regarding the Wonderlic test? Seems odd they would let someone take it, then study more and retake it after seeing the questions.

SpeedRush99 said:
Anyone know the rules regarding the Wonderlic test? Seems odd they would let someone take it, then study more and retake it after seeing the questions.
what's worse is that young got a 12 the first time and only improved to a 16 the second time (according to the OP).

A retest would indicate that VY first score was low.

There is a precedent for retests.Lossman got a 22 after intially getting a 14 on his first test.

IMO retests makes the Wonderlich testing system lose its credibility.It doesnt mean anything when certain players have a chance to study the answers.

Alex22 said:
He didnt score low

The NFL has come out and said that the reports are false, that the representative has seen the score and the reports are incorrect

16 isnt all that bad, he is expected to retake it after studying some and score in the 20's

If he keeps taking it over and over again, his scores will rise but those results will also provide a false result. You aren't supposed to study for those tests! IMO, they are similar to an IQ test. If you had info on IQ tests and prepared for it, then your ability to process information will not be accurately portrayed.

A 6 would have put him in the borderline-intellegence range between low-average and Forrest Gump deficient type...and I have to agree that I'm shocked by the news...but he shouldn't take it a third or even a fourth time because it will have no meaning whatsoever. His score of 16 is so-so but not the end of the world and if this was the result of a supervised do-over, we should just live with it.

Contrary to what you said in your other posts, this is an important test. The NFL is much faster than the college ranks, and he would have to learn another playbook which would probably be more complicated than the one he studied in Texas. Just because you are (obviously) a big fan of him should not blind you to the possibility that he may not become the QB that he is being hyped to be.

KuchaMucha said:
If he keeps taking it over and over again, his scores will rise but those results will also provide a false result. You aren't supposed to study for those tests! IMO, they are similar to an IQ test. If you had info on IQ tests and prepared for it, then your ability to process information will not be accurately portrayed.

A 16 is so-so but not the end of the world. A 6 would could put him in the borderline-mental ******ation range...and I have to agree that I'm shocked by that news...If he takes it again, it will have no meaning whatsoever.

Contrary to what you said in your other posts, this is an important test. The NFL is much faster than the college ranks, and he would have to learn another playbook which would probably be more complicated than the one he studied in Texas. Just because you are (obviously) a big fan of him should not blind you to the possibility that he may not become the QB that he is being hyped to be.

Actually every agent has copies of the test and when you sign on with one they generally give you one to study so yes you are supposed to

If Jimmy has 21 cents of rope, and rope is a foot long, and Jimmy spent 3 dollars about how much rope did Jimmy buy?

Thats the type of questions on there, the questions should look like this

Randy Moss runs a 10 yard out pattern, Jerry Porter runs a 15 yard post, the defense is in a nickle formation and both safteys blitz, who do you throw to

Ive never said he is sure fire, ive just said people need to stop talking like he already failed

Alex22 said:
Actually every agent has copies of the test and when you sign on with one they generally give you one to study so yes you are supposed to

If Jimmy has 21 cents of rope, and rope is a foot long, and Jimmy spent 3 dollars about how much rope did Jimmy buy?

Thats the type of questions on there, the questions should look like this

Randy Moss runs a 10 yard out pattern, Jerry Porter runs a 15 yard post, the defense is in a nickle formation and both safteys blitz, who do you throw to

Ive never said he is sure fire, ive just said people need to stop talking like he already failed

I agree with you that "people should stop talking like he already failed" but I disagree with you that he should take it again and again. If he scored a 16 the second time around, we should just live with it and that's it. That's not such an awful score. Like you said earlier, Marino didn't thrill people with his test results.

I didn't know that the test was given out to agents which is a shame because a test like that should not be something that you should study and prepare for. Anyway, knowing whom to throw to in a certain situation is important but not at the heart of what should be looked for in such a test. Your ability to think quickly in a usual and unusual circumstance should be at the base of a test like this and the timer is an important part of it...and only qualified professionals like psychologists should create tests like that...maybe he was hung over when he took it. Who knows...but I do agree with PFT that the NFL should not try circumvent their own processes in order to pacify a college coach for political reasons.

Whatever happened, this much is obvious. Vince Young got a second chance whereas most other players would not. He just needs to live with the second score (if he took it a second time) and move on. If he blew it the first time because he didn't take it seriously, or was hung over, or whatever, then that was his (costly?) decision.

Back
Top Bottom