Vince Young's Wonderlick Score | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vince Young's Wonderlick Score

Alex22 said:
Actually every agent has copies of the test and when you sign on with one they generally give you one to study so yes you are supposed to

If Jimmy has 21 cents of rope, and rope is a foot long, and Jimmy spent 3 dollars about how much rope did Jimmy buy?

Thats the type of questions on there, the questions should look like this

Randy Moss runs a 10 yard out pattern, Jerry Porter runs a 15 yard post, the defense is in a nickle formation and both safteys blitz, who do you throw to

Ive never said he is sure fire, ive just said people need to stop talking like he already failed

I'm really getting tired of explaining this to you.

A low Wonderlic score indicates that the tested individual has limited capacity for processing information, using logic to solve problems, and learning. This means that while Vince Young has a boatload of physical talent, he might not be very adept at learning and adjusting to the NFL.

Basic math is a skill every person should have. Your question was horribly butchered but it should read something like "If rope costs 10 cents a foot and Bob has $.60 to spend, how much rope can he buy?" (What you wrote made little sense, other than Jimmy has 21 cents of rope which he apparently paid $3 for. So, Jimmy's not a very good businessman.)

Your question on football is not answerable, as you might know. Where are the safeties lined up? Are they blitzing from the sides or are they coming through gaps in the line? Where is the nickelback lined up? Is Moss or Porter covered well? Is either double-covered? Where are your running backs? Where are your tight ends?

If the Wonderlic didn't matter, they wouldn't use it. The questions get progressively harder - this just means it gets progressively more difficult to go from a 30 to a 40. Going from a 6 (or 12, or whatever) reportedly to 16 now is still pretty bad. A 16 won't hurt him that badly. The fact remains that a lot of quarterbacks with low scores have problems with decision making.

KuchaMucha said:
I agree with you that "people should stop talking like he already failed" but I disagree with you that he should take it again and again. If he scored a 16 the second time around, we should just live with it and that's it. That's not such an awful score. Like you said earlier, Marino didn't thrill people with his test results.

I didn't know that the test was given out to agents which is a shame because a test like that should not be something that you should study and prepare for. Anyway, knowing whom to throw to in a certain situation should only be part of such a test. Your ability to think quickly should be at the base of a test like this and the timer is an part of it. maybe he was hung over when he took it. Who knows...but I do agree with PFT that the NFL should not try circumvent their own processes in order to pacify a college coach for political reasons.

Well the test changes year to year

Here is an example

The S.A.T tests change year to year, but past tests are let out and available to study from, the wonderlic is basically the same, agents have different variations from years past, they dont have the ecact test

You can take it three times, and I agree you shouldnt take it over and over basically If a guy takes it 3 times, I would take the highest score and the lowest score and average it out.

But you can also think of it this way - The test is a gauge on how well a guy grasps certain info, so if you do poorly once, then study and do better, it shows you have the ability to study and remember things, like you would a playbook

flintsilver7 said:
I'm really getting tired of explaining this to you.

A low Wonderlic score indicates that the tested individual has limited capacity for processing information, using logic to solve problems, and learning. This means that while Vince Young has a boatload of physical talent, he might not be very adept at learning and adjusting to the NFL.

Basic math is a skill every person should have. Your question was horribly butchered but it should read something like "If rope costs 10 cents a foot and Bob has $.60 to spend, how much rope can he buy?" (What you wrote made little sense, other than Jimmy has 21 cents of rope which he apparently paid $3 for. So, Jimmy's not a very good businessman.)

Your question on football is not answerable, as you might know. Where are the safeties lined up? Are they blitzing from the sides or are they coming through gaps in the line? Where is the nickelback lined up? Is Moss or Porter covered well? Is either double-covered? Where are your running backs? Where are your tight ends?

If the Wonderlic didn't matter, they wouldn't use it. The questions get progressively harder - this just means it gets progressively more difficult to go from a 30 to a 40. Going from a 6 (or 12, or whatever) reportedly to 16 now is still pretty bad. A 16 won't hurt him that badly. The fact remains that a lot of quarterbacks with low scores have problems with decision making.

1- The questions I gave were just a basic example, or course they could be written better and there are other things that need to be put in it

2- The test getting progressivly harder means in thoery question 2 should be a little harder than question 1, question 3 should be harder than 2 and so forth im assuming you know that

3- They just had the creator of the wonderlic test on cold pizza and he basically said it doesnt mean much other than how well you grasp certain concepts and while its more important in QB's he doesnt know how important it actually is overall in the NFL

4- If you study and get a better score, that shows you can learn and get better if you apply yourself, So basically that means if he wants to learn a playbook he can, a 16 isnt THAT bad

Alex22 said:
Well the test changes year to year

Here is an example

The S.A.T tests change year to year, but past tests are let out and available to study from, the wonderlic is basically the same, agents have different variations from years past, they dont have the ecact test

You can take it three times, and I agree you shouldnt take it over and over basically If a guy takes it 3 times, I would take the highest score and the lowest score and average it out.

But you can also think of it this way - The test is a gauge on how well a guy grasps certain info, so if you do poorly once, then study and do better, it shows you have the ability to study and remember things, like you would a playbook

Yep, I agree with you there re: the SAT scores...but I honestly think that the Wonerlick has to be closer to an IQ test than an SAT due to the reasons I mentioned above (although the SAT is a good tool). This is why I'm opposed to letting Young take it a third or fourth time...a psychologist will tell you that IQ test results can rise if you take it repeatedly over a short period of time...but these rising results will be inaccurate and that is why they use other tools (at times) other than IQ tests to measure intelligence.

Maybe that's what Young's agent and college coach need to do. Hire an independent psychologist and have that psychologist administer an IQ and Rorschac (sp??) test on him. They don't have to tell anyone. He takes the test and if he scores well, then the agent can share the test results with teams. If he does poorly, no one has to know that he took these tests.

Your idea about averaging out two scores isn't bad but I don't think that an average of 11 would help Young. :)

Alex22 said:
4- If you study and get a better score, that shows you can learn and get better if you apply yourself, So basically that means if he wants to learn a playbook he can, a 16 isnt THAT bad

You shouldn't have to take it a second time to "apply" yourself. Everyone should take it once, period.

Alex22 said:
2- The test getting progressivly harder means in thoery question 2 should be a little harder than question 1, question 3 should be harder than 2 and so forth im assuming you know that

There are 50 questions. If the average among all people of all education levels is 20, then it should be expected that as an above-average educated person with three years of college you should score higher than average. The questions don't get impossibly difficult beyond 6. The "hard" questions are not unsolvable by any means.

- They just had the creator of the wonderlic test on cold pizza and he basically said it doesnt mean much other than how well you grasp certain concepts and while its more important in QB's he doesnt know how important it actually is overall in the NFL

He didn't create the test for the NFL. Of course he doesn't know how important it is. The fact is there is a positive correlation between scores and performance. While being smart isn't a substitute for being talented, it does matter.

A 16 actually is that bad. It's bad regardless of what position you play - even if it requires next to no thought, like a lineman. Studying on these scores is not supposed to help much. These tests aren't designed that way. Vince Young was improving in college as he was coached less. That doesn't quite cut it in the NFL, as Michael Vick might tell you.

SpeedRush99 said:
You shouldn't have to take it a second time to "apply" yourself. Everyone should take it once, period.

But thats not the rule, guys take it more than once all the time

Its possible he HASNT been studying for a long time and his math skills are off and wasnt ready for the test, but if he brushed up on it and does better it shows he CAN learn

Alex22 said:

Its possible he HASNT been studying for a long time and his math skills are off and wasnt ready for the test, but if he brushed up on it and does better it shows he CAN learn

Your completely missing the point. This is like an interview for a big job, you shouldn't get "practice rounds". If he hasn't been studying, that says even more about him. They should give every player the same test once. Its called first impression. Anyone should be able to ace a test that they've already seen the questions for.

flintsilver7 said:
There are 50 questions. If the average among all people of all education levels is 20, then it should be expected that as an above-average educated person with three years of college you should score higher than average. The questions don't get impossibly difficult beyond 6. The "hard" questions are not unsolvable by any means.

He didn't create the test for the NFL. Of course he doesn't know how important it is. The fact is there is a positive correlation between scores and performance. While being smart isn't a substitute for being talented, it does matter.

A 16 actually is that bad. It's bad regardless of what position you play - even if it requires next to no thought, like a lineman. Studying on these scores is not supposed to help much. These tests aren't designed that way. Vince Young was improving in college as he was coached less. That doesn't quite cut it in the NFL, as Michael Vick might tell you.

1- He didnt score a 6 the first time he scored a 12, Marino scored a 14

2- Smarts DO matter, but not book smarts, its football smarts that count

3- Sean Taylor scored a 10, Frank Gore scored a 3, Marino a 14

The offensive line is one of the most complictated positions on the field btw, remembering blocking assignments for everyone on every play, recognizing and picking up blitzers, and so on

Alex22 said:

His math skills are off? It's obvious at this point that you're going to defend him regardless of what happens. This isn't at all the kind of thing you should be "off" on. These are basic skills. You don't forget them. They aren't at all memorization questions. Either you have the capability to do it or you don't.

SpeedRush99 said:
Your completely missing the point. This is like an interview for a big job, you shouldn't get "practice rounds". They should give every player the same test once. Its called first impression. Anyone should be able to ace a test that they've already seen the questions for.

There are different versions of it I believe, so you get a different test every time, while the questions are basically the same I imagine they are still different

I guess no-one should be able to study for the SAT, or retake any test they fail huh?

Alex22 said:
1- He didnt score a 6 the first time he scored a 12, Marino scored a 14

2- Smarts DO matter, but not book smarts, its football smarts that count

3- Sean Taylor scored a 10, Frank Gore scored a 3, Marino a 14

The offensive line is one of the most complictated positions on the field btw, remembering blocking assignments for everyone on every play, recognizing and picking up blitzers, and so on

12, 14, and 16 are all bad scores. McNabb and Marino are the two lone exceptions. Nearly all of the quarterbacks in NFL history who have had problems with decision making have had low Wonderlic scores.

The Wonderlic test does not measure "book smarts." It measures cognitive ability. I've already explained this.

Frank Gore has proved nothing. Running back is also not that critical of a position as far as intelligence goes. Sean Taylor has already been in trouble multiple times, so don't cite him as a paragon of virtue or intelligence.

Offensive line is not a skill position.

flintsilver7 said:
His math skills are off? It's obvious at this point that you're going to defend him regardless of what happens. This isn't at all the kind of thing you should be "off" on. These are basic skills. You don't forget them. They aren't at all memorization questions. Either you have the capability to do it or you don't.

You do forget math skills, go ask a 40 year old who hasnt been in school a while to do algebra and they will be off, or ask them to divide a fraction

Just because you arent used to doing it doesnt mean you cant, obviously if you can study and improve your score then you CAN improve

I defend him because every time ive doubted him at all he has proved me wrong, and ive seen him talk and the way he acts and the man isnt stupid

Alex22 said:
There are different versions of it I believe, so you get a different test every time, while the questions are basically the same I imagine they are still different

I guess no-one should be able to study for the SAT, or retake any test they fail huh?

Don't put words in my mouth junior. I never said anything about not being able to study. I said he should have studied in the first place! If they fail that means they didn't prepare themselves well enough in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom