Vince Young's Wonderlick Score | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vince Young's Wonderlick Score

Juan Cribbs said:
offensive linemen are the smartest players on the field.

Centers usually score the highest.Guards are not much better than the Medium.

Alex22 said:
1- He isnt a bad kid thats how I know that, he has just as much potential to do bad as Matt leinart does

You know nothing about Vince Young. He might seem like a "good kid" but the fact is neither you nor anybody else really knows how he's going to conduct himself. Leinart has nothing to do with this. Nobody suggested anything like "Leinart is a better kid, so let's draft him." You're correct in that they have both the potential to do bad. Nobody knows.

2- Offensive lineman need to be able to move around, have great footwork, use their arms correctly, can you tell me Blocking guys like Jason Taylor takes brute strength alone?

All of this is true. But can you tell me how all of this requires intelligence? Size, strength and technique are not related - even indirectly - to intelligence.

3- Oh i dont know, memorize the playbook, recognize the blitz, not only know who their responsiblity is, but everyone elses as well, this applies even more for inside linemen

Memorize the playbook? Offensive linemen generally have two jobs: run blocking and pass blocking. Recognizing the blitz is the job of other guys and generally not the linemen. A running back or tight end might need to pick that up. A linemen can't shed his assignment for a blitzer - his job is to block somebody. That's all there is to it. The right tackle does not at all need to know who somebody else's assignment is. Their assignments depend on where people line up, and where people line up is variable.

There is no position on the field where you dont need to be athletic

While this is true, offensive linemen by far are the least athletic.

flintsilver7 said:
Do you have a reason for this, or this simply an unfounded one-line grunt?
unfounded? it's pretty common knowledge that there's more thinking and technique involved with the o-line than any other position (excluding QB obviously). i rarely grunt.

Juan Cribbs said:
unfounded? it's pretty common knowledge that there's more thinking and technique involved with the o-line than any other position (excluding QB obviously). i rarely grunt.

Please tell me what type of thinking is involved with the offensive line.

flintsilver7 said:
Recognizing blitzes and stunts... stuff like that. O-linemen are generally very smart.

LIQUID24 said:
Recognizing blitzes and stunts... stuff like that. O-linemen are generally very smart.

That's reflex, not intelligence. They block somebody. Linemen, on pass blocking, generally have very little space to protect. It's called a line because they protect. They block whoever is in front of them, and they aren't supposed to get very far out of position. Blitzes usually do not affect the offensive line. That almost always requires that additional rushers - in addition the defensive line - be brought in. This means that the offensive linemen should already be blocking somebody. Unless they can block two guys at once, it doesn't matter.

flintsilver7 said:
are you really that ignorant to the game of football? i'm a girl and it seems i know more than you. for shame...

Juan Cribbs said:
are you really that ignorant to the game of football? i'm a girl and it seems i know more than you. for shame...

I asked you for what type of thinking is involved. Calling me ignorant does not illustrate how offensive linemen need to be intelligent.

flintsilver7 said:
I asked you for what type of thinking is involved. Calling me ignorant does not illustrate how offensive linemen need to be intelligent.
you will find more 7th round picks and undrafted free agents starting on the o-line than in any other position. the reason is simple; coming out of college they didn't have prototypical size, or they didn't have the proper technique or whatever. however they made it starting in the league because of their intelligence. they have to make decisions on the fly based on what the defense is showing, and all 5 have to be in sync with this to work. the center will often call out assignments, and like with the colts, the QB can get extremely involved. and the technique is unreal. you can't just put a big guy in there and expect him to block. if you did that, there'd be 20 sacks a game. most coaches in the NFL will tell you it's the most technique-demanding position. there's more smarts involved than brute strength, which is why someone like tony mandarich was a bust.

The latest buzz about Texas quarterback Vince Young at the NFL Scouting Combine: his score on the 50-question Wonderlic Test. It was reported to NFL general managers Saturday that Young correctly answered just six of the 50 questions on the 12-minute exam designed to test logic and cognitive ability. Then came reports Sunday that Young was allowed to retake the test and that he scored a more respectable 16.
-- Austin American-Statesman

In 1999, Donovan McNabb scored 12 on the Wonderlic Test. Akili Smith scored 15, Daunte Culpepper scored both a 15 and a 21. The year before, Charlie Batch had a 12 and a 15 and Aaron Brooks scored 17.
-- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
If this turns out to be thrue Donovan and Culpepper both scored lower than Young. A 16 isnt great but its not that bad.

Edit-I also find if very funny that Brooks scored higher McNabb and Culpepper. (at least on his first try.)

Juan Cribbs said:

By the way

We dont agree a lot, but any girl who goes away from the typical barbie doll type thing and gets into sports, breaks the typical 'Boys play sports, guys play with barbie dolls' steriotype is cool by me

Anyway back to the subject

One year I played QB for the city before high school, our offensive line was pretty big, and pretty strong, but they had 0 technique, our coach taught just basic pass blocking and run blocking, never taught them how to pick up a blitz, or anything like that, and I can truthfully say I had never been hit that much so hard so often in my life, or ran that much with the ball from the QB position, if I wasnt fast it would have been even worse

Vince just scored another 6 points while you guys were arguing.

Alex22 said:
By the way

We dont agree a lot, but any girl who goes away from the typical barbie doll type thing and gets into sports, breaks the typical 'Boys play sports, guys play with barbie dolls' steriotype is cool by me

Alex22 said:
One year I played QB for the city before high school, our offensive line was pretty big, and pretty strong, but they had 0 technique, our coach taught just basic pass blocking and run blocking, never taught them how to pick up a blitz, or anything like that, and I can truthfully say I had never been hit that much so hard so often in my life, or ran that much with the ball from the QB position, if I wasnt fast it would have been even worse
yes. this myth that o-linemen just react to what the defensive linemen do is very unfounded. there's a lot that goes into. and that's just pass-blocking.

Back
Top Bottom