Waddle vs Smith | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Waddle vs Smith

juniorseau55

Go Fins
Reaction score
The more I see Waddle in Alabama the more I am convinced that he will have a bigger impact for us. His acceleration after a catch, how he recovers and balances his body. His ability to make difficult catches. Straight vertical speed is one thing, but how he can accelerate after a catch from any angle on the field is a beauty to see. Very competitive, and such a great drive overall. He is also very physical, isnt scared to get hit.

Devonta Smith can get crazy separation with his speed. He uses his size and long arms to make difficult catches. That makes him a very useful target in the goal line. He does lack size, and while that worries me in the NFL it isn't a big deal for the trade off he offers with his speed, and the size advantage he has when reaching for the ball. Besides has anyone ever heard of Torry Holt? He was around the same built, and probably didnt gain more than 100 lbs in the NFL.

Both players are going to give you different results but if you want to play a bet in playmaking ability then Waddle is your guy. He can be placed anywhere on the field, can take a simple slant route and turn it into a big gain. And no Jakeem Grant won't do that for you, but Waddle can do an excellent job punt returning.

The only knock on smith is how he handled cb jamming him off line scrimmage in nfl..other than that he should be good players in nfl.. he would be good fit to go with Williams and parkers..

Great question. Both extremely promising prospects but both with very real questions as to whether they can physically hold up to the NFL punishment and physicality. Durability is an issue, and both are undersized--with Smith's issue being mass (weight) rather than height. The NFL can be a great area for someone with tremendous speed like Tyreek Hill, but for every successful Hill, there's a lot more guys like Tavon Austin, who was the #8 overall pick but couldn't beat press coverage or hold up to the physical nature of the NFL. Heck, Henry Ruggs III looked awesome this time last year, but he has struggled so far, and he's bigger and stronger than both of those guys and probably faster too.

Great question. Both extremely promising prospects but both with very real questions as to whether they can physically hold up to the NFL punishment and physicality. Durability is an issue, and both are undersized--with Smith's issue being mass (weight) rather than height. The NFL can be a great area for someone with tremendous speed like Tyreek Hill, but for every successful Hill, there's a lot more guys like Tavon Austin, who was the #8 overall pick but couldn't beat press coverage or hold up to the physical nature of the NFL. Heck, Henry Ruggs III looked awesome this time last year, but he has struggled so far, and he's bigger and stronger than both of those guys and probably faster too.
The only thing u can do take chance on player.. a lot of them will probably be bust,some will be avg and above avg. Very Few will be great. The nfl draft is hype show. We will see when pad come on..who is for real and who aint..

I really don’t get the concern with the size of Waddle or Smith. The greatest duo at WR in Miami history were Clayton and Duper and both of them were small WR’s. They played in an era when defensive backs could be much more aggressive with WR’s downfield than they are now. It was also a lot harder for WR’s to get off the line of scrimmage when they played. Knocking the hell out of WR’s when they ran across the middle was expected and not penalized as it is in the game today. Yet the smallish Clayton and Duper excelled in the NFL and their size never seemed to impact their play on the field.

The reality is the Dolphins two starting WR’s going into the 2020 season were Parker and Williams. Both are them are large compared to the majority of WR’s in the league yet Williams ended up going on IR for the second season in a row and Parker has battled one injury after another ever since he has been in the league.

So I am not concerned at all about the height or weight of either Smith, Waddle, or even Chase. All I have seen from each of these players is they all appear to be elite WR’s and any one of them would instantly upgrade the receiving unit on the Dolphins. Obviously players get injured from time to time but I am no more worried about one of these receivers getting injured if the Dolphins draft them than I would be about any other Dolphin on the team being injured.

The only thing u can do take chance on player.. a lot of them will probably be bust,some will be avg and above avg. Very Few will be great. The nfl draft is hype show. We will see when pad come on..who is for real and who aint..
Very true, but not all players are the same level of bust potential. Jordan Love came out last year and he had a huge bust potential, and thus far appears to be a bust. Justin Herbert had great bust potential too, but less bust potential than Love, and Herbert was a huge success, so you're right, you cannot always know. But, Burrow and Tua were the guys with the lower bust potential, and also the lower ceilings. With Chase and Pitts, they have the higher floors (like Burrow and Tua) and ALSO an extremely high ceiling (like Smith and Waddle), but with far less bust potential.

If you remember decades ago when the top overall pick was a guy named Aundray Bruce .... well, he was an absolute bust, and everyone before he was chosen identified that he had huge bust potential. I just don't see why we would take a shot for a guy with such a higher bust potential but no better high end potential. That's why I'm in favor of Chase and Pitts. Just my opinion.

These guys seem to be wide open during the highlights. My question is who has the best ability to get open and give Tua the quick targets? Still believe 3 is too high for a receiver, always concerned about injury risk. It is worth risking a trade down and picking up player(s) such as Marshall or Toney if we can select 2 receivers instead of one only.

Austin is your classic track athlete receiver. That vertical speed type of receiver. Aka your track wide receiver. That wouldn't be either Waddle nor Smith. Both Obama receivers have good hands in tight coverage. Smith happens to create separation with his speed. Possesses the vertical speed to create separation. Can leap and catch passes over defenders. Waddle can accelerate and outpace defenders with his great balance and recovery after the catch. Excellent target for short passes and screens. Can navigate better in tight coverage. And harder to cover due to his ability to accelerate from any point on the field.

I like Waddle but he was limping real bad when he played in the CG......Saban should not had let him played but he probably didn't care. Anyway,not sure how bad that injury will affect him but he's not 100% right now. There's no way we draft Waddle at 3 or even if we trade down unless both Chase and Smith are gone. I have seen Waddle going as low as 19 on some mocks so it is possible that he could be there that late.

Back
Top Bottom