Waddle vs Smith | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Waddle vs Smith

Waddle is more like Parker. Beat cb in 5050 balls.
Smith is Hill lite. Fast quick and shifty. Can take the top off.

Smith compliments Parker better. Both have their unique skill set.
Not concern about Smith size. Hill has no problem.

For our offense, i take Smith over Waddle.

I like Waddle but he was limping real bad when he played in the CG......Saban should not had let him played but he probably didn't care. Anyway,not sure how bad that injury will affect him but he's not 100% right now. There's no way we draft Waddle at 3 or even if we trade down unless both Chase and Smith are gone. I have seen Waddle going as low as 19 on some mocks so it is possible that he could be there that late.

I haven't seen any mocks where Waddle lasts past the Patriots pick.

His short area quickness and ability to fly around the field will have him well off of the board by Miami's second pick.

If Miami is serious about incorporating a lot of motions pre-snap, it would be hard to do better than Waddle.

You just have to ask yourself what is more valuable long-term.

I like Waddle but he was limping real bad when he played in the CG......Saban should not had let him played but he probably didn't care. Anyway,not sure how bad that injury will affect him but he's not 100% right now. There's no way we draft Waddle at 3 or even if we trade down unless both Chase and Smith are gone. I have seen Waddle going as low as 19 on some mocks so it is possible that he could be there that late.
May be good news for us. Smith at 3, Waddle at 18.

Waddle is the guy for our team... he is a pure slot, and at this point in Tua's travels into adulthood... Tags needs a slot receiver, a guy who is open early... inside.

The arguments for Smith say that he can be either... tho short for Flanker duty.

Take the pure slot... He's cheaper too.

Smith reminds me of Marvin Harrison, size, build, ability, skill set and personality/character traits. If he was 20 lbs heavier he would be a lock as the 2nd best overall athlete in this draft IMO. Not to mention, he seemed to have a unique on-field bond with TUA who appeared to look his way more often than not in pressure situations from DAY ONE. While his size IS a bit of a concern, it’s never affected his on field ability. Not saying it will automatically translate to the NFL but his other intangibles are sky high IMO. Lots to like about this kid.

Him going out there and limping made him millions of dollars. If he would not have played you would have heard every analyst talking about the ankle and how he missed the season and you know someone will say “will he be ready for camp” and you’ll hear question marks

Trotting out there for 1 play eliminates that. Now he’s a tough SOB who played despite being hurt and he’ll be great come camp time

someone gave him great advice

Huhhh?? Waddle like Parker?? Smith like Tyreek???

I’m sorry but have you ever actually seen them play????
Those may be the 2 worst comparisons I’ve ever seen in my life, I’m sorry

Austin is your classic track athlete receiver. That vertical speed type of receiver. Aka your track wide receiver. That wouldn't be either Waddle nor Smith. Both Obama receivers have good hands in tight coverage. Smith happens to create separation with his speed. Possesses the vertical speed to create separation. Can leap and catch passes over defenders. Waddle can accelerate and outpace defenders with his great balance and recovery after the catch. Excellent target for short passes and screens. Can navigate better in tight coverage. And harder to cover due to his ability to accelerate from any point on the field.
My interest in Waddle is his speed, much like it was with Ruggs. I am intrigued. My interest with Smith is his ability to separate, much like Jarvis Landry but with much greater speed. My concern with Ruggs, Waddle and Smith is that they are not physical enough to get off the jam and stay on their routes versus NFL physicality. It will effect whether they are able to get to the spot in their routes when the route requires them to be there, thus creating a window for a precision passer like Tua. In college, almost no DB's are physical, and the receivers' superior speed and quickness almost always dominated the guys they faced.

But one of the biggest jumps up at any position from college to the NFL is at CB, where the press-man corners go from being laughable boys to becoming ultra-quick Paul Bunyon men. It's the story of why someone like Richard Sherman or Xavien Howard can become great in the NFL while only being good at the collegiate level. That level of maturation, development, and muscle use to dominate is simply a different level in the NFL.

There are a lot of receivers who struggle and never really beat that coverage consistently. With the evolution of the route complexity in today's NFL, the OC requires each WR to be exactly where the play calls for them to be--particularly against 1v1 coverage so they can exploit the matchup. In today's NFL, the first option in the route is usually 70% ofthe play design, and if the guy cannot win that route 90% of the time, the whole offense falls apart. Now, for plays farther downfield, those speed guys can do what is required, but most passes today are short passes, which is where those press-man corners dominate and literally shut down offenses. Tyreke Hill typically doesn't catch many 5 yard plays vs. press coverage, but if he can get past the initial bump zone, he can turn intermediate throws into huge gains.

Realistically, Smith probably weighs about 165, and NEEDS an extra 20 pounds of muscle on that tall, skinny frame to even have a chance at not being consistently manhandled. Putting on 20 lbs. of muscle isn't easy, and it definitely will affect his speed and quickness. He simply isn't going to survive the redirect at the LOS against good press-man coverage .... and every DC who employs that type of coverage will dominate him. Waddle will get open more like Jakeem Grant as his speed will scare a lot of DB's and he may be able to juke his way past press-man 50% or more of the time .... but he's still going to be unreliable. Guys like Jamar Chase, who is bigger, beefier, stronger, and does well against that sort of physicality can shine. Someone like Kyle Pitts who is kind of a Shannon Sharpe type WR or Move TE hybrid pass catcher will have no trouble with it. Those are the guys who I see becoming successful and have no fear of adjusting to the physical NFL coverage.

Smith beats press with amazing footwork.
Smith does do a great job at that. But Adams is a far bigger and stronger WR, who has a lot more muscle to push through at the LOS. They're not really the same type of WR body types. If Smith had the strength in his lower and upper body that Adams has, I'd be a much bigger fan of his. I don't doubt Smith's hands, route running, or YAC. I fear he will be manhandled, knocked off his route, and arrive late to his throwing window in Tua's read progression.

Smith does do a great job at that. But Adams is a far bigger and stronger WR, who has a lot more muscle to push through at the LOS. They're not really the same type of WR body types. If Smith had the strength in his lower and upper body that Adams has, I'd be a much bigger fan of his. I don't doubt Smith's hands, route running, or YAC. I fear he will be manhandled, knocked off his route, and arrive late to his throwing window in Tua's read progression.
Except that when CBs tried to press Smith they usually got burnt. Chase, despite being bigger and stronger actually got shut down more effectively at the line than Smith. This criticism of Smith is based on the number on the scale and a perception of his frame and not based on the film. I don't see that as good evaluation.

Are u actually implying that waddle of all people cant take the top off a defense? Him and parker are nothing alike in terms of speed. Parker looks like hes running in quicksand, bottom of the league getting seperation. If waddle is 100% healthy come pro day he will probably run the fastest time lmao

Also, sidenote. Waddle was arguably playing better than smith before he got hurt. Yall love smiths numbers, go check waddles first 4 games.

My interest in Waddle is his speed, much like it was with Ruggs. I am intrigued. My interest with Smith is his ability to separate, much like Jarvis Landry but with much greater speed. My concern with Ruggs, Waddle and Smith is that they are not physical enough to get off the jam and stay on their routes versus NFL physicality. It will effect whether they are able to get to the spot in their routes when the route requires them to be there, thus creating a window for a precision passer like Tua. In college, almost no DB's are physical, and the receivers' superior speed and quickness almost always dominated the guys they faced.

But one of the biggest jumps up at any position from college to the NFL is at CB, where the press-man corners go from being laughable boys to becoming ultra-quick Paul Bunyon men. It's the story of why someone like Richard Sherman or Xavien Howard can become great in the NFL while only being good at the collegiate level. That level of maturation, development, and muscle use to dominate is simply a different level in the NFL.

There are a lot of receivers who struggle and never really beat that coverage consistently. With the evolution of the route complexity in today's NFL, the OC requires each WR to be exactly where the play calls for them to be--particularly against 1v1 coverage so they can exploit the matchup. In today's NFL, the first option in the route is usually 70% ofthe play design, and if the guy cannot win that route 90% of the time, the whole offense falls apart. Now, for plays farther downfield, those speed guys can do what is required, but most passes today are short passes, which is where those press-man corners dominate and literally shut down offenses. Tyreke Hill typically doesn't catch many 5 yard plays vs. press coverage, but if he can get past the initial bump zone, he can turn intermediate throws into huge gains.

Realistically, Smith probably weighs about 165, and NEEDS an extra 20 pounds of muscle on that tall, skinny frame to even have a chance at not being consistently manhandled. Putting on 20 lbs. of muscle isn't easy, and it definitely will affect his speed and quickness. He simply isn't going to survive the redirect at the LOS against good press-man coverage .... and every DC who employs that type of coverage will dominate him. Waddle will get open more like Jakeem Grant as his speed will scare a lot of DB's and he may be able to juke his way past press-man 50% or more of the time .... but he's still going to be unreliable. Guys like Jamar Chase, who is bigger, beefier, stronger, and does well against that sort of physicality can shine. Someone like Kyle Pitts who is kind of a Shannon Sharpe type WR or Move TE hybrid pass catcher will have no trouble with it. Those are the guys who I see becoming successful and have no fear of adjusting to the physical NFL coverage.

You're right in general, and this is one of the main reasons WR's are difficult to scout. Relative to the NFL, college WR's are essentially playing vs air. If they're smart enough to run the right routes (relatively low bar), athletic enough to get to their spots (""), and can catch the ball, they can make plays and out up numbers in college.

Some WR's, though, see press coverage vs NFL-level athletes with some regularity. Recent history shows that those who see these conditions and excel in college will typically excel in the NFL. The hit rate for certain college WR's is about as good as it gets. Smith, Waddle, and Chase all belong in that bucket.

* Pitts does, too.

Back
Top Bottom