Wannstedts' poor drafts killing us now | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wannstedts' poor drafts killing us now

BSQX4

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Look at who Dave has drafted and it's apparent that someone else should be doing the job. As years pass and players from the Jimmy era are replaced by Daves' picks the talent level drops. The facts:2000 Todd Wade, Arturo Freeman 2001 Jamar Fletcher, Chris Chambers( great pick) , Marlon Greenwood, Travis Minor 2002 Seth Mckinney??, Randy McMichael ( a gem in the 4th round) Omare Lowe?? Leonard Henry, Sam Simmons 2003 Eddie Moore( I guess we didn't really need a LT??????), Wade Smith( bad week to evaluate him) Donald Lee, Taylor Whitley, J.R. Tolver. Bottom line: Chambers and McMichael are budding stars and that's it for 4 years. Awful job, just terrible. There are some other starters but nobody that's going to any Pro Bowls IMO.

The four years prior yielded Zach Thomas, Sam Madison, Pat Surtain, Jason Taylor and Rob Konrad. If Dave had hit on 5 star quality players instead of 2 we'd have 3 more great players starting on this team.2 linemen and a reciever to complement Chambers and this is a different team. Don't even get me started on free agency. This team is about 3 players away from excellence, they should have been drafted, Wannspiel had every chance and mostly whiffed. Boldin instead of Eddie Moore would have been nice. The O-Linemen we passed on is enough to make you sick. Point made.

You said it man. Who DIDN'T know that we needed to address our O line this offseason? Apparently only Dave Wannstedt and Rick Spielman.

Montrae Holland is the only guy that I'm unhappy we passed on (instead of Whitley). But I challenge you to name a LT we should have chosen instead or before Wade Smith.....even though we were trying to trade into the first round for Steinbach. Beyond that I'm just over the whole draft thing. Tired of debating it.

you MUST add Ricky Williams to the list of players "we drafted" since we traded aways 2 picks that might have been top player for him ;)

that will be tough because even our designated LT who was a TE not long ago, is still trying to figure out what the LT position brings, i hope we sign kenyatta jones, wasn´t he a former 1st rounder ? he must have some game then.....

edit : sorry i was thinking of kenyatta walker from the bucs, he was a 1st rounder, our possible guy is a 4th rounder

Last edited by a moderator:
In 4 years Jimmy got

Daryl Gardener
Zach Thomas
Sam Madison
Jason Taylor
Patrick Surtain
Kenny Mixon
Rob Konrad
Jermaine Haley

that turned out to be stars or good players. Wanny has drafted Chris Chambers and Randy McMichael who have played well and a few others in this draft that may pan out. The amusing thing is the Jimmy managed to fail on every one of his picks on the offensive end and thats all that Wanny/Speilman have succeded at.

Just on a side note, it would be scary if JJ got the job at Atlanta and put together a defense to go with Vick, Crumpler and Price.

Don't sell Travis Minor short. He may not be a feature back but he compliments Ricky very well. TM has some really key runs and catches the ball well out of the backfield. Perfect change of pace back.

Yeah...TE picks look to be real solid...I just hope we never get Everett from UM...sheesh...WIDE OPEN DROP!!!!

I agree. I made a big deal on this board about our lack of off season productivity. And I caught grief left and right abut it. We missed big time. Specifically considering that after the end of the season in 2003 everyone knew we were at a desperate situation on the offensive line. We did nothing to get better. And we all got excited to get Seau and Knight, but what have they done? Are we any better on the books then when we had Rodgers and Freeman? Or are we enough better to justify not having Gandy or trading up higher to get a stud lineman?

The front office really dropped the ball on this area of need. And they are in trouble now because I don't think it can be sovled this year.

fin-atic, I agree with you on all counts. Imagine knowing you have a huge hole at left tackle with right-handed Q.B.s and not addressing it. What is wrong with these people? We draft Eddie Moore over Boldin who is tearing up the league, and jump through hoops to secure Derrius Thompson who can't get seperation. Derrius makes Orande look like Bob Hayes in his prime. Wannstedt is still saying he has NO interest in Orande, WHY? Do we have better? Hell no!!! Why not give Tolver a chance? That kid is a gamer and 10 to 1 he'll easily outplay Thompson who IMO is a bust. We simply MUST find a free agent out there to insert at LT before we get a Quarterback killed. Given time Griese can pick anybody apart by hitting Chambers, McMichael, Konrad and Donald Lee's coming on as well. Man I'm glad that Norv yelled at the O-Line this week, alot of good that did. Just like the Marlins went out and got Conine we've got to find a diamond in the rough in free agency and get him at LT fast, pronto, post haste, immediatly or better yet, yesterday.

Originally posted by BSQX4
The four years prior yielded Zach Thomas, Sam Madison, Pat Surtain, Jason Taylor and Rob Konrad. If Dave had hit on 5 star quality players instead of 2 we'd have 3 more great players starting on this team.2 linemen and a reciever to complement Chambers and this is a different team. Don't even get me started on free agency. This team is about 3 players away from excellence, they should have been drafted, Wannspiel had every chance and mostly whiffed. Boldin instead of Eddie Moore would have been nice. The O-Linemen we passed on is enough to make you sick. Point made.

Help me here...

Exactly who are the O-line studs we missed out on???

I don't really know, but you are the first person that has said we "passed on" guys, and I don't see any rookies out there, or second year guys we could have had in 2002, that are making headlines... Maybe I have missed them, so if you have some names, drop them on me...

Back
Top Bottom