Wannstedts' poor drafts killing us now | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wannstedts' poor drafts killing us now

Originally posted by fin-atic
I agree. I made a big deal on this board about our lack of off season productivity. And I caught grief left and right abut it. We missed big time. Specifically considering that after the end of the season in 2003 everyone knew we were at a desperate situation on the offensive line. We did nothing to get better. And we all got excited to get Seau and Knight, but what have they done? Are we any better on the books then when we had Rodgers and Freeman? Or are we enough better to justify not having Gandy or trading up higher to get a stud lineman?

The front office really dropped the ball on this area of need. And they are in trouble now because I don't think it can be sovled this year.

Are you telling me that you don't think Seau has played better than Rodgers??? I'll give you that Freeman and Knight might be a push, but I think we've seen Seau make plays in the backfield and a few yards off the line of scrimmage that Rodgers only DREAMS of making... And Seau has taken some pressure off of Zach... Rodgers actually made Zach work harder, making up for Rodgers lack of play-making ability...

The fact of the matter is, our best offensive linemen, Dixon, is going to miss the whole year. The other four fifth's of the line is the same that played spectacuraly last year. There was no way to perdict that Dixon would miss the whole year. There was no way to perdict Todd Wade, and to a lesser extent Ruddy/Mckinney were going to play so poorly. We probably could of anticipated Nails being less effective after his injury, and Dixon hasn't exactly been a man of steel the last couple of years. But from the front offices perspective, they put together a line that blocked for an 1,800 yard rusher last year, with some intresting young talent in Smith, Whitley, and McKinney. Granted Whitley isn't working out that well, but McKinney looks to be our center of the future, and the same can be said of Smith at Left Tackle, even if he did struggle against Freeney yesterday. Getting two quality starters out of three third round picks really isn't that bad. The real question is, what the hell has happened to Todd Wade?

Well, I for one, have never been a Wannstedt supporter. In fact, I have blasted the man more times that Freeney did Griese yesterday. I agree 100% about Wanny's drafts. I think as more of his players filter in and replace Jimmy's, the worse off we are. I think Spielman deserves some credit/blame in this department also. We need a talent evaluator who can recognize a weakness and then try to fix it, rather than ignore it and hope for the best. I tried to give this draft a chance, I really did, but look what we got.

An injured linebacker, a wide reciever who can't get a shot to play, a lineman who cost us at least one game, and a couple other linemen who can't even crack the lineup on this team. That is pathetic. Donald Lee is looking like our best pick and to be honest with you, I think he has more penalties called against him than catches and blocks combined.

Can we bring Jimmy Johnson back?

Wanne rolled the dice on Dixon since that was who we could afford - especially before Zach extended his contract. w/o Dixon we all knew our OL was not going to be very good. I would have hoped Smith w/b a better pass protector even if he was not a good run blocker; and I still hope that...

It's depressing coming on this board after a loss. It seems as if everyone is just waiting for us to be doomed. Well, we have eight more games to go, let's just see what happens. Now, when we go up to Nashville and come away with a victory we will be right back in the mix. I'll reserve my judgement for the FO until Dec. 28..

Originally posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305
It's depressing coming on this board after a loss. It seems as if everyone is just waiting for us to be doomed. Well, we have eight more games to go, let's just see what happens. Now, when we go up to Nashville and come away with a victory we will be right back in the mix. I'll reserve my judgement for the FO until Dec. 28..
heck, we're right back in it if NE loses to QB-less Denver tonight :D

Originally posted by Samphin
I tried to give this draft a chance, I really did, but look what we got.

An injured linebacker, a wide reciever who can't get a shot to play, a lineman who cost us at least one game, and a couple other linemen who can't even crack the lineup on this team. That is pathetic. Donald Lee is looking like our best pick and to be honest with you, I think he has more penalties called against him than catches and blocks combined.

Can we bring Jimmy Johnson back?

I think some of you guys are expecting too much from your draft....too soon. Now i'm not going to say it's a great draft. I think you could've done better. But players picked in the 3rd round and beyond typically do not start as rookies...especially on winning teams. I was surprised to see you guys take Eddie Moore in the 2nd round...but then again I was surprised to see our team (which seriously needs help on defense) take an OT in the 2nd round. In time, i think that pick will pay off for us.

I don't think there was a LT available at 49 that could start at LT as a rookie. LT is a difficult position to play...especially for a rookie. I know when the saints drafted Tackles....they typically started elsewhere before moving to LT. Roaf played RT at first....Turley played Guard...then RT....before moving to LT. Those guys were top 10 picks and weren't expected to step in at LT right away.

The biggest problem i have with the LT pick is you guys gave up your 2nd round pick next year for him.....So hopefully he can perform at that level for you guys next year. Expecting him to play at a high level this year is asking to much of him...i think asking him to start this year is asking to much of him.

The good thing is next year...you will have a first round pick....and should get a player that can start immediately on the line. You won't have a 2nd round pick....but you will have a young tackle with a year under his belt. As for the other spots on the line....you guys will need to come through big in free agency...i'm not sure what your cap situation is like....but you need to add a couple starters up front through free agency.

Well, we should have drafted Terrence Metcalf a few years back when everyone on this board wanted us to.

We should have drafted Montrae Holland as well. Holland starts on a line called one of five best in league.

Wade Smith is a very good pick in the third round. It is a bad game from a guy who has played LT for two years. He'll be a good one eventually. I hate that he has to start as much as the coaches do. They should have had a better backup plan.

Our picks have been well above average in the time he's been here. The undrafted guys have to be factored as well, since the talent evaluators do that job as well.

Players that we trade picks for have to be included as well.

Ricky Seau McMike Lee Tolver Wade Smith McKinney O-Gun David Bowens Sam Simmons What do you want? 6th round picks to be stars?

Stars come from the top of the draft, any you get lower is pure luck. And those lower round players almost never perform their first years.

Get over man, Wade Smith didn't lose this game. The whole team did.

Seau? That is a veteran trade. We have a great free agent FO. They keep this team together and build.

The drafting sucks though.

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
We should have drafted Montrae Holland as well. Holland starts on a line called one of five best in league.

Holland isn't a starter.....although he is a guy i think could start as a rookie. Our starting guards are Kendal Jacox and Lecharles Bentley. I see Holland starting next year.....We'll probably let Fontenot go and either Jacox or Bentley will move to center...then Holland will start at guard.

Originally posted by Al13
and next year we get eddie moore back.....

Fat chance....hes been hobbled by injuries in college and now the pros

Originally posted by Saint Greg

Holland isn't a starter.....although he is a guy i think could start as a rookie. Our starting guards are Kendal Jacox and Lecharles Bentley. I see Holland starting next year.....We'll probably let Fontenot go and either Jacox or Bentley will move to center...then Holland will start at guard.

I watched yesterday's game and he started and played well.

About Seau, he was traded for a 6th or 5th rd pick. Thus, he has to be included in an evaluation of the draft. We also traded a 4th for Jay Williams whom has played better than any other 4th rd DE I can think of outside of maybe Alex Brown in Chicago.

We traded two number ones for Ricky and thus he must be considered a star acquired for picks as well.

Go through a teams draft and you're lucky if five of the eight or so draftees will even be on the team in three years. If you get two starts out of a draft you've done well. If you get two stars it's an incredible draft.

Now, you must take into account the rounds and slots of the players we've selected.

The only terrible picks I've seen from the staff have been Rick Crowell, Josh Heupel, Jamar Fletcher, and that's about it.(Taylor Whitley is sitting there waiting to be added though)

Everyone else either contributed or was picked up by another
team and considered a solid choice for where we got them.

Stars are rarely picked after the second rounds. We've done as good a job of any of getting those stars later in the draft.

I watched yesterday's game and he started and played well.

Well....I watch every game....Jacox and Bentley started at guard. Folau and Holland came in on the last series.

Go through a teams draft and you're lucky if five of the eight or so draftees will even be on the team in three years. If you get two starts out of a draft you've done well. If you get two stars it's an incredible draft.

I have to disagree with you. If you only have 5-8 players on your roster after 3yrs of drafting, you have problems with talent evaluation.

If you look at the saints drafts between 2000-2002....we have 14 drafted players currently on our roster....10 starters, 4 backups....we also have players we drafted that are doing well for other teams...such as Marc Bulger and Chad Morton.

Now it's true that we had an extra 1st in 2002 because of ricky williams....but we lost 1st and 3rds in 2000 because of ricky, so i think it more than evens out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom