Was at morning practice 8/6; My Observations | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Was at morning practice 8/6; My Observations

SCLSU Mud Dogs

Foosball is the devil
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just went to the first of two practices I'm going to today. I have a hot Publix sub and a nap in my near future, so I'm going to be quick and to the point.

1. I was at the field before the doors opened at 7:45. The second I stepped into the bleachers, out walks Davone Bess. He started catching passes from the jug machine. Caught them low, high, and to the side. I think his work ethic is starting to rub off on guys around him, because 2 other receivers and Anthony Fasano came out early to catch some passes too. Of the other two receivers, one was Taurus Johnson, and didn't quite get a good look at the other.

The only notable drops that I saw in practice involved Brandon Marshall and Taurus Johnson. Marshall in individual drills got his hands on a high pass, failing to reel it in. Taurus Johnson had a bad drop during walk throughs, and let one get away that dropped right in the perfect spot.

Roberto Wallace also had a nice practice. With his size, he could be a pretty special player if he puts together a solid string of workouts and pre season games.

Marshall still looks like an absolute beast. He's going to be a special player for this team.

2. Chad Henne seems to be getting the touch pass down pat, which is funny because it is still thrown on a frozen rope. Chad's only bad pass I saw involved leading a receiver right into Tyrone Culver, in which Culver jumped in front of the receiver and nearly picked it off.

Thigpen was picked off by Nate Ness during practice too (it was either Ness or another low depth chart guy EDIT: It was Evan Oglesby).

Pennington's arm didn't look too good today. He threw a wounded duck pass that would have been picked off in a real game situation but it was just batted down. I'm not sure which receiver it was intended for.

From what I saw, Pat White had a pretty solid practice. He faced pressure a few times, getting the ball out right in the nick of time. One pass found Fasano directly over the middle and would have been a 15+ yard gain. Another pass White faced the blitz and dumped a screen off, which would have been a minimal gain. He also had a very nice face pass to Roberto Wallace in the back of the end zone, though, I am unsure who was in coverage.

All quarterbacks looked good in an accuracy standpoint, besides the one or two bad throws made by Henne, Thigpen, and Pennington.

3. Jake Long absolutely swallowed up Koa Misi head to head. The line lined up in their full set, while one defensive lineman lined up on a certain spot on the line. Misi didn't give much pressure, Wake did pretty decent, and Jared Odrick was an absolute monster in drills today. Odrick pulled a classic power move on one of the guards, and blew right past him. Richie Incognito was 50/50 in this drill, sometimes swallowing up a player, and sometimes getting bum rushed. John Jerry looked pretty stout, only giving up a pressure once (or maybe twice)

4. Tristan Davis was giving his heart into practice today, and couldn't seem to find any space to run. Gotta give it up to this kid for trying when pretty much all odds are against him.

I'm not sure which knee Cobbs injured, but he was holding his right knee and giving it extra stretching during breaks. He still looked pretty quick.

Ricky looks tone and in shape, he really isn't a juggernaut until gameday. He doesn't dog it, he just seems to have another gear during games.

Ronnie Brown looked good too. One play he took about 3 seconds, but juked out a defender in the backfield. The coaches didn't seem to like it though, as one screamed "What the F are you doing!". He still seems to be a favorite among this staff, Sparano was joking around with him when the backs were receiving passes in drills. Sparano semi caught Brown off guard when he was catching an over the shoulder pass, and brown missed it. Coach then said "I don't even have to cover you for you to drop it!"

5. Crowder came up with a fumble on a missed snap from the center to Henne. Crowder ran for about 10 yards, and quickly pitched it to Clemons who was running down the sideline. Crowder will probably have a better season in this defense. I think he is more important to this team than people make him out to be. Dansby was also the victim of a Davone Bess pass over the middle. Henne put it in the perfect spot for Bess, who caught it between three defenders. Dansby was inches from tipping it. Next play, Bess caught it in about the same spot, making a great effort on the catch.

Overall: Great practice. The team really seems to get along, and the guys are having fun out there, while still playing disciplined. I will update tonight once the 5PM session gets out. I will also post pictures when I get home tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot.

Some questions.
1. Did Pat White use his wheels at all today?
2. How did Patrick Turner look?
3. How did Sean Smith look?
4. How did Chris Clemons look?
5. How did the 1st offense look against the 1st defense?

Nice sig by the way, haha.

Thanks a lot.

Some questions.
1. Did Pat White use his wheels at all today?
2. How did Patrick Turner look?
3. How did Sean Smith look?
4. How did Chris Clemons look?
5. How did the 1st offense look against the 1st defense?

Nice sig by the way, haha.

Haha yeah man that guy that made my sig is some sort of Photoshop genius!

1. Pat White made one nice run today off of a roll out today, made a few throws on the run, but was mainly passing from the pocket. They seem to want him to learn as fundamentally as possibly, if I had to guess.
2. Pat Turner didn't make me scratch my head, so he had a solid practice. Didn't really notice him too much in 7-7 or 11-11. I will look closer tonight at 5pm to see how he does in separation.
3. Smith didn't get beat from what I saw, and was playing the receivers in tight. They seem to like him up in the receivers face, putting his physicality to good use.
4. Clemons looked solid. He snuck into the backfield a few times, and was flying around. Nolan's defense looked intense today. They were running a variant of the hybrid today, with 3 down lineman shifted to the right (if you were looking at the face of the quarterback), and one of the OLB's to the left right on the line, standing up. The three other linebackers were behind. It looked like a 4-3, but with only 3 down lineman. They also showed some heavy blitz sets with everyone up on the line, one safety deep, and two corners covering receivers. I personally don't like that formation because if the back gets away from the blitz, there aren't a lot of players back there to stop him.
5. Offense started to get in gear a little bit. I'm going to go ahead and say that our defense is underrated by quite a few people. In a Marques Douglas interview on WQAM this morning he stressed that with Nolan, this can be a top 5 defense in the league.

Thanks a lot.

If you can please do the same thing for the afternoon practice you are going to watch, that would be great. I appreciate this information. Its better than all of the beat writers for the Dolphins and your not even getting paid to do it.

Thanks a lot.

If you can please do the same thing for the afternoon practice you are going to watch, that would be great. I appreciate this information. Its better than all of the beat writers for the Dolphins and your not even getting paid to do it.

Thanks man I appreciate it. I just enjoy doing a fan write up for all of the fans that can't make it out to camp. It was hotter than hell and my face is burnt to a crisp, but it was worth it. And hopefully I'll be getting paid for doing this sooner rather than later lol. It might not come until 8 or 9 tonight, but I will do the same thing tonight.

Much thanks for the updates. Will be looking forward to your afternoon update as well.

Thanks for the report. I agree, I think Nolan has started to dial this defense in. Its not unusual for the D to be ahead in training camp. How many times did our Olineman go in individual drills ? About 3 or 4 each ? Thanks

Awesome camp report. THIS is what makes this site so great. Every summer, I cant wait for the camp reports from site members. Keep it up for us out of town fans.

Great report! Thanks for the information. It is good to hear that Odrick is looking solid!!!

Thanks. These reports sure make a difference in determing how much information in the beat writers reports is facts or jus their opinions.

Back
Top Bottom