watch jay cutler now! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

watch jay cutler now!

what do you mean when you say players have raw talent?

ckparrothead said:
There's two sides to that coin. He has experienced enough defeat in college and experienced the bad coaching enough that he might be quicker to buy into an NFL coach's programme than a guy with a distinguished track record like Brady Quinn and Matt Leinart.

I mean, Leinart has experienced success for 3 years in the system set up by Norm Chow (who is now an NFL offensive coordinator), so who is to say he doesn't step into a different situation and start immediately questioning whether or not they are doing things right wherever he is? I mean where he goes is liable to be a BAD team, right? And Leinart could say that he came from a system that is being run by an NFL team right now. Brady Quinn could say the same thing I mean he comes from the system of three time Super Bowl OC Charlie Weis. What if he goes to a team that has a system telling him to do things differently from what Weis told him? Will he buy in right away? Or will it take a year or two before he buys in?

Cutler could be eager to learn a "real" system and way of doing things, and he's got all the talent to make it work right away...and plus if Saban ever gets control of Scott Linehan (which it appears he's making headway, based on the Cleveland game plan of running the ball) then we could have the kind of ridiculously successful ground game that Orton and Roethlesberger had/have that takes the pressure off them. I'm not saying it's LIKELY. I'm saying anything could happen. If you look at the two guys who have had the most success recently as rookie QB's, Roethlesberger was supposed to be the most "raw" among he, Manning, and Rivers, while Kyle Orton had that really rough bad experience his senior year. Arguably, they both might have been a bit more "ready" than their counterparts to learn the pro way of doing things.

I agree with you Ck, with good coaching he could buy in very fast and be a great player very early. But I think the coaching he has gotten (along with the talent around him) at Vandy has hindered his progression as a QB. So its more of a stretch for him as opposed to Kyle Orton who played at a top school.

kastofsna120 said:
how do you figure?

Senior QB.. captain 3 years in a row.

Against Florida... down 24 points in the 4th Quarter.... drives his team and throws 3 TDs in 4th quarter.bringing the game to overtime.

best QB in SEC...

by no means raw...

Eric-Honduras said:

Against Florida... down 24 points in the 4th Quarter.... drives his team and throws 3 TDs in 4th quarter.bringing the game to overtime.

best QB in SEC...

by no means raw...

He also tends to force throws, throw either flat footed or off the back foot, and floats alot of passes. He is still raw and you can blame it on coaching.

Nicky Napoleon said:
I agree with you Ck, with good coaching he could buy in very fast and be a great player very early. But I think the coaching he has gotten (along with the talent around him) at Vandy has hindered his progression as a QB. So its more of a stretch for him as opposed to Kyle Orton who played at a top school.

Hmm, that's the first I've really seen Purdue's coaching to be considered a strength for a QB. Orton had a tough time at Purdue too, actually got benched his senior year at one point.

It could really go both ways, to be honest. The guys with the best track records and greatest coaching aren't necessarily the guys that adapt the quickest to the NFL. On the other hand, you probably could say that the guys who buy into the coaching are the quickest to adapt to the NFL...it's just a matter of whether you want to connect the dots as to whether or not Cutler's background at Vandy makes him more or less ready to truly buy into the pro way of doing things.

Nicky Napoleon said:
He also tends to force throws, throw either flat footed or off the back foot, and floats alot of passes. He is still raw and you can blame it on coaching.

Considering the pressure the d-line consistently gets on Cutler, he does a hell of a job of getting the ball off. In seeing the Florida and Tennessee games, that's what impressed me the most about him. He's doing these things against some of the best competition in the nation, yet he's playing with very little talent around him.

ckparrothead said:
Hmm, that's the first I've really seen Purdue's coaching to be considered a strength for a QB. Orton had a tough time at Purdue too, actually got benched his senior year at one point.

It could really go both ways, to be honest. The guys with the best track records and greatest coaching aren't necessarily the guys that adapt the quickest to the NFL. On the other hand, you probably could say that the guys who buy into the coaching are the quickest to adapt to the NFL...it's just a matter of whether you want to connect the dots as to whether or not Cutler's background at Vandy makes him more or less ready to truly buy into the pro way of doing things.

Orton was benched because he was trying to play injured...and was playing like crap.

Nicky Napoleon said:

not sure what games you watched... floaters? this guy has a rifle...

flat footed... what you have been scouting his footwork..?

miamikid92 said:
"Raw" Size..speed..strength... and sometimes instincts IE armstrength would be consdired a RAW talent.... ability to throw accuratly is not in the "RAW" category.

Eric-Honduras said:

best QB in SEC...

by no means raw...
he's been an option QB the first 3 years of his college career. you can TELL he's raw by his mechanics and footwork and his gunslinger mentality. brett favre was the same way (sans the option part) in college. favre didn't even know what a zone defense was till he got to the NFL. i'm sure cutler is aware, but he's VERY raw as a pro QB prospect

kastofsna120 said:
he's been an option QB the first 3 years of his college career. you can TELL he's raw by his mechanics and footwork and his gunslinger mentality. brett favre was the same way (sans the option part) in college. favre didn't even know what a zone defense was till he got to the NFL. i'm sure cutler is aware, but he's VERY raw as a pro QB prospect

Playing in the SEC, Cutler knows damn well what a good defense is. He's played against Nick Saban's defense.

Some of these mechanics that people always complain about are much ado about nothing. You have to discern between what kinds of things he's doing because that's a big part of his game vs. what kinds of things he's doing because his coaches aren't really telling him not to.

Is teaching him proper foot mechanics going to make his passing accuracy suffer? No, it will make it better. The real keys are the speed of the game, and reading the NFL defenses. As for speed of the game, one could argue that the poor OL protection facing against SEC passrushers has had him playing at a pretty high speed for 4 years now.

ckparrothead said:

In comparison to Vandy's coaching you have to consider it a strength. Plus the last two Purdue QB's are playing pretty well right now.

Back
Top Bottom