Watch Rodgers play, he's worth #2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Watch Rodgers play, he's worth #2

General Tso

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I can understand (though I disagree) why some Dolphins fans think we shouldn't draft a QB at #2 because they feel Feely needs another year and he'll prove to be a good QB or they think we should trade down. But it is completely ridiculous to claim Miami shouldn't draft a QB at #2 because
there isn't a franchise QB in this year's draft. Where is that opinion coming from? I'm betting those making that claim have never seen Aaron Rodgers play, because if they had then I can't fathom how they'd reach that conclusion.

I watched 6 Cal games this year and a few last year, and he has as much potential as any QB prospect in the last three drafts. He certainly
has far less questions about him than Rivers/Roeth had last year. Rivers had the terrible (yet effective for him) throwing mechanics and was rated as a late first rounder until his outstanding senior bowl performance. Roeth had the big numbers and measurables, but was playing against inferrior competition (similar to Culpepper). Meanwhile, the only negative things some could worry about with Rodgers is his height (he's an inch or two shorter than your "perfect" QB) and his numbers dropped towards the end of this season after his top three WRs had injuries and he was throwing to two freshmen who dropped a lot of passes.

From watching Rodgers play all year it is clear to me he's already a better quarterback than Feely. His greatest strength is his accuracy (which happens to be Feely's greatest weekness). Rodgers had his best game of the year nearly beating USC and breaking several records along the way, he threw for 400 yards with 2 TDs and no interceptions in a win over Virginia Tech (with DeAngelo Hall in the secondary) in last year's bowl game, and though he barely threw any interceptions in his career most of the ones he did throw came off drops and tipped passes instead of poor decisions (unlike Feely). Like any draft pick Rodgers is no sure thing, but he's got as good of a chance (if not better) to become an all-pro/franchise player than anyone else in this draft at any position.

With all that said, I believe San Fran will draft Rodgers #1 so Miami won't get the opportunity to draft him. But if they don't... Rodgers is absolutely worth the #2 pick in this year's draft (or any of the last three drafts).

I hope we don't continue talking about this for the next ten years on how we passed on 1 of the greats... I'm glad I don't get paid to make these decisions.

sixzero said:
I hope we don't continue talking about this for the next ten years on how we passed on 1 of the greats... I'm glad I don't get paid to make these decisions.

Thats the point. I think agree with the post creator and think that we will regret not picking this kid up. I started watching him when i read about how Cal recruited him from Butte JC. He was great from there, but after he got to work with Tedford he became even better. I could ramble on about Rodgers....ill just say ihope Saban wants him as bad as i think we need him. Cheers. :cool:

I watched him and was only slightly impressed. In his bowl game I just was not impressed at all. Dont compare to Feeley, alot of Feeley's ints also came of tips, wrong routes, missreads which are all correctable. I am no Feeley lover but accuracy is not his main problem, composure in the pocket is! I believe we will trade down lets pick up a qb in the draft there are a few good one and make Feeley the starter but if anyone knows SabAN they know he will pull a mf qb in a heart beat.

i think we definitely need a QB in the draft or FA to push feeley in case the "feeley experiment" doesn't pan out...

i am just wary of using our #2 overall pick in a draft where we are seriously devoid of draft picks on a position that isn't our "most" needy.

i would be more inclined to trade down to stockpile picks and pick a good QB later... i am sure the orlavskys and lefors et al will still be around in the later rounds...

kbeath said:
I watched him and was only slightly impressed. In his bowl game I just was not impressed at all. Dont compare to Feeley, alot of Feeley's ints also came of tips, wrong routes, missreads which are all correctable. I am no Feeley lover but accuracy is not his main problem, composure in the pocket is! I believe we will trade down lets pick up a qb in the draft there are a few good one and make Feeley the starter but if anyone knows SabAN they know he will pull a mf qb in a heart beat.
This year's bowl game was his (as well as the entire team's) worst performance of the year. He was throwing to two freshman receivers that had at least 5 drops (including his int which should've been a catch), and even then his numbers were as good as Feely's in any game this year.

I'm curious what other games you watched where you weren't impressed. Did you see any of last year's final three games when he torched Washington, Standford, and Virgina Tech? This year's games against USC, UCLA, and Oregon?

Just hoping you're not basing your opinion on one mediocre performance in a let down game for Cal.

General Tso said:
I can understand (though I disagree) why some Dolphins fans think we shouldn't draft a QB at #2 because they feel Feely needs another year and he'll prove to be a good QB or they think we should trade down. But it is completely ridiculous to claim Miami shouldn't draft a QB at #2 because
there isn't a franchise QB in this year's draft. Where is that opinion coming from? I'm betting those making that claim have never seen Aaron Rodgers play, because if they had then I can't fathom how they'd reach that conclusion.

I watched 6 Cal games this year and a few last year, and he has as much potential as any QB prospect in the last three drafts. He certainly
has far less questions about him than Rivers/Roeth had last year. Rivers had the terrible (yet effective for him) throwing mechanics and was rated as a late first rounder until his outstanding senior bowl performance. Roeth had the big numbers and measurables, but was playing against inferrior competition (similar to Culpepper). Meanwhile, the only negative things some could worry about with Rodgers is his height (he's an inch or two shorter than your "perfect" QB) and his numbers dropped towards the end of this season after his top three WRs had injuries and he was throwing to two freshmen who dropped a lot of passes.

From watching Rodgers play all year it is clear to me he's already a better quarterback than Feely. His greatest strength is his accuracy (which happens to be Feely's greatest weekness). Rodgers had his best game of the year nearly beating USC and breaking several records along the way, he threw for 400 yards with 2 TDs and no interceptions in a win over Virginia Tech (with DeAngelo Hall in the secondary) in last year's bowl game, and though he barely threw any interceptions in his career most of the ones he did throw came off drops and tipped passes instead of poor decisions (unlike Feely). Like any draft pick Rodgers is no sure thing, but he's got as good of a chance (if not better) to become an all-pro/franchise player than anyone else in this draft at any position.

With all that said, I believe San Fran will draft Rodgers #1 so Miami won't get the opportunity to draft him. But if they don't... Rodgers is absolutely worth the #2 pick in this year's draft (or any of the last three drafts).
:yeahthat:

fishypete said:
Nice kid...nice school...but it isn't going to happen.

You're right, but it won't happen because San Francisco will take him with the first pick in the draft.

KB21 said:
You're right, but it won't happen because San Francisco will take him with the first pick in the draft.
KB21, read my thread about Stefan LeFors possibly being drafted by Miami and please post your thoughts on that - i'd love to hear what you'd have to say.

General Tso said:

Good post!

There are several good QBs and I believe five will go in the first two rounds.

-------------
In My Opinion

Im trying not to get too excited about Rodgers, because I have a feeling that he will be taken by San Fran at 1.1. :(

I think that IF Rodgers is available at #2 and we can't get a good enough deal to trade down, they could very well go with him. I liked him all year, but still feel that we have too many other holes. Having the 2nd pick is a rarity for us (and hopefully will never happen again), but it does leave the door open to a Rodgers or Smith. I am not opposed to taking a QB, but feel that trading down for more picks, even if some of them are next year is more important for us than picking a QB. When you have a top 5 pick, and you use it, you almost can't pass on a potential franchise QB.

KB21 said:

I hope they dont.

Ive been reading about the 49ers lately, and it seems like they are more focused on getting a defensive player. With Nolan the new HC, the possibility is greater. He also said that they would take the best player available.

Hopefully, a defensive player really stands out in the senior bowl and the combines- or they get a QB via FA.

General Tso said:

I'm with ya! IMO, Rodgers is similar to David Carr, who wasn't as fundamentally sound coming out as Rodgers is.

Back
Top Bottom