watch the senior bowl | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

watch the senior bowl

We haven't mentioned this at all but I actually thought Kaepernick looked pretty good pulling away from center. He turned that into a non-issue in a way Tebow very much couldn't. That shows some work ethic to me.

The release thing is a puzzler. If you want the guy I think you have to make your peace with it before you start. You try to pull a David Lee on him and you're just going to turn the guy into tentative, inaccurate ****. I don't mind that his release is funky, so far as it is, as long as you feel good about the idea that it isn't putting undue stress on his joints or ligaments. The question of the release is it's height and it's speed. I never had a problem with Phillip Rivers' or Vince Young's release because both guys are tall enough the height of it doesn't matter as much and both guys get rid of it quick.

Kaepernick's release reminds me somewhat of Bernie Kosar's, now that I think about it. In other words, wide and somewhat ponderous. But it also reminds me of a lot of guys who couldn't play. For what it's worth I think it's faster than a guy like Kerry Collins' release. Certainly faster than a Byron Leftwich. And let's not forget that Chad Henne has a hitch in his giddy up as well.

All of this from a guy who's not a big fan of Kaepernick's at all, so you guys know. I've only seen one complete game of his, though, so I'm definitely going to be going back and watching him some more. The game I watched him -- the bowl game against Boston College -- did not exactly leave me salivating for more.

The mechanics aren't just there for show, though. Rivers and Young may have had funky releases but they were still compact. They were still centered, able to get velocity on the ball with quick, compact motion.

Mike Mayock kept pointing it out but I absolutely agree. The essentials for Kaepernick on those GOOD throws of his, were clean pocket, clean view, clean lane, nobody in his personal space, and the ability to step into the throw.

That's what the mechanics do to him. And if he needs that to make good throws in the NFL, there's a problem. You're not going to get that.

Having a week of practice in their first NFL camp and playing with all new team mates in a new scheme is not the best way to make definitive evaluations on who will or will not make it at the next level. All you guys jumping on the Kaepernick bandwagon after one college all star game with out all the stars is just stupid. He’s a fourth round prospect for chrissakes, back to reality, o.k.?

im starting to think we may trade down and take a chance on Kaepernick in the first.

If they draft him in the 1st round, I will never watch another Dolphins game again.

There is exactly ONE player in this draft who has more potential/ability than Chad Henne and that is Blaine Gabbert. That is the ONE QB I want the Dolphins to draft.

Ponder has game, but man do his 15 yard comeback routes look UGLY.

Anyone impressed with Richard Sherman CB from Stanford. I thought he looked great, and he's projected waay undrafted. He's got nice stats to go with his size as well.

The mechanics aren't just there for show, though. Rivers and Young may have had funky releases but they were still compact. They were still centered, able to get velocity on the ball with quick, compact motion.

Mike Mayock kept pointing it out but I absolutely agree. The essentials for Kaepernick on those GOOD throws of his, were clean pocket, clean view, clean lane, nobody in his personal space, and the ability to step into the throw.

That's what the mechanics do to him. And if he needs that to make good throws in the NFL, there's a problem. You're not going to get that.

Dude you know he gets plenty of velocity on the ball with his current throwing motion. YOu heard the comments about the manning camp. he throws missiles. I agree wholeheartedly it needs work, but theres no denying his velocity isn't a concern.

the second bold sentence was a statement not only about kaepernick but all qb's in the senior bowl if I remember correctly.....

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Having a week of practice in their first NFL camp and playing with all new team mates in a new scheme is not the best way to make definitive evaluations on who will or will not make it at the next level. All you guys jumping on the Kaepernick bandwagon after one college all star game with out all the stars is just stupid. He’s a fourth round prospect for chrissakes, back to reality, o.k.?

since when?

Anyone impressed with Richard Sherman CB from Stanford. I thought he looked great, and he's projected waay undrafted. He's got nice stats to go with his size as well.

Thought he showed poor awareness. He might be a project worth looking at in the later rounds.

Dude you know he gets plenty of velocity on the ball with his current throwing motion. YOu heard the comments about the manning camp. he throws missiles. I agree wholeheartedly it needs work, but theres no denying his velocity isn't a concern.

the second bold sentence was a statement not only about kaepernick but all qb's in the senior bowl if I remember correctly.....

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

since when?

You missed on that. The point is that to be an NFL QB, you have to be able to generate velocity and accuracy in a compact motion - without a clean pocket. Kaepernick has a long wind-up delivery. That's NOT going to get it done. He WON'T have a clean pocket, and that motion telegraphs his passes. NFL CB's will jump his routes. You talk about messing with his delivery - when it's that far gone, you're not talking about tweaking: you're talking overhaul - and you risk losing him completely. But, it's a risk you HAVE to take if you think he's your guy. Kosar had an ugly delivery, but it got out fairly quick. It's not the same. Ugly is one thing. Low is one thing. Slow is another. Ugly, low, and slow in anotha nutha.

You missed on that. The point is that to be an NFL QB, you have to be able to generate velocity and accuracy in a compact motion - without a clean pocket. Kaepernick has a long wind-up delivery. That's NOT going to get it done. He WON'T have a clean pocket, and that motion telegraphs his passes. NFL CB's will jump his routes. You talk about messing with his delivery - when it's that far gone, you're not talking about tweaking: you're talking overhaul - and you risk losing him completely. But, it's a risk you HAVE to take if you think he's your guy. Kosar had an ugly delivery, but it got out fairly quick. It's not the same. Ugly is one thing. Low is one thing. Slow is another. Ugly, low, and slow in anotha nutha.

pretty much nailed it home.

Sherm is alright. Any player from Stanford is OK by me. We need to get Luck and Skov when they come out.

I don't think he has a lot of athleticism. He bit on everything short because he doesn't have the athleticism, he was gambling. That bite on the double move to end the first half was ridiculous...should never have bit on the double move in that situation.

I don't think he has a lot of athleticism. He bit on everything short because he doesn't have the athleticism, he was gambling. That bite on the double move to end the first half was ridiculous...should never have bit on the double move in that situation.

Yep - that was dumb (especially for a Stanford guy). I like the USC CB Shareece Wright better.

I think Kaepernick is raw because of the system he played in. He didn't play 4 years in a pro style offense like Locker. My problem with Locker isn't that he's raw; he's just bad. Kaepernick despite being so raw looks a lot better than Locker.

Locker didn't play 4 years in a pro style offense either... he's only been playing in Sark's pro style system for 2 seasons.

I thought Mike Mayock made a great point about Locker's footwork, and it's the same reason a guy like Kaepernick is as raw as he is despite starting for 4 years at Nevada... they're both baseball prospects, who have dedicated a significant amount of time to the different techniques and footwork required to play certain positions in baseball.

Mayock made note of Jake Locker's footwork at the very top of his drop... his feet are too close together at the top of his drop, he lets his lead foot get too close to his back foot.

This causes him to have to overstride when he releases the football in order to compensate.... which leads to high, errant passes.

Jake Locker's hitch at the top of his drop right before he releases the football is the footwork ingrained in him from playing outfield in baseball... it's a curl-hop, which is what outfielders use when fielding a ball in the outfield to make a long throw back to bases in order to sting a runner. Locker only recently decided that he was going to dedicate 100% to football and leave baseball behind.

Kaepernick has a pitcher's motion in his delivery from being a baseball pitcher, and it's necessary for him to have that also because his arms are so long (almost 34"). Kaepernick is naturally a more accurate thrower than Locker... However, what also helps Kaepernick be more accurate is the fact that he doesn't have this "curl hop" footwork at the top of his drop... there's no way he could get by with having to overstride with 34" arms.

You see... everything that happens above the waist with a quarterback, is a direct result of what's going on with the feet... always has, always will.

Overstriding with your feet causes you to have a longer wind-up in your delivery... Long arms cause you to have more of a wind-up in your deliver. A quarterback can get away with overstriding more if he has short arms to off-set the difference.

The best quarterbacks in NFL history who were all in the 6'3"- 6'4"+, all had short arms no longer than 32" in most cases... anytime you can find a quarterback with good height like that, but with short arms, he's naturally going to have an exceptionally quick delivery.

Of all the Senior quarterbacks in this draft who have been measured so far, which one fits this profile the best?

Pat Devlin.. who's 6'3", but only has 31 1/2" arms.... it's no coincidence that Devlin also has the quickest, cleanest, most compact delivery in this class of quarterbacks.

It's a very interesting study.... Look at the best 6'4" or so quarterbacks currently in the NFL (Phillip Rivers, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tom Brady, etc.) and look at their arm lengths compared to their height... they all have short arms to be that tall.

Locker didn't play 4 years in a pro style offense either... he's only been playing in Sark's pro style system for 2 seasons.

I thought Mike Mayock made a great point about Locker's footwork, and it's the same reason a guy like Kaepernick is as raw as he is despite starting for 4 years at Nevada... they're both baseball prospects, who have dedicated a significant amount of time to the different techniques and footwork required to play certain positions in baseball.

Mayock made note of Jake Locker's footwork at the very top of his drop... his feet are too close together at the top of his drop, he lets his lead foot get too close to his back foot.

This causes him to have to overstride when he releases the football in order to compensate.... which leads to high, errant passes.

Jake Locker's hitch at the top of his drop right before he releases the football is the footwork ingrained in him from playing outfield in baseball... it's a curl-hop, which is what outfielders use when fielding a ball in the outfield to make a long throw back to bases in order to sting a runner. Locker only recently decided that he was going to dedicate 100% to football and leave baseball behind.

Kaepernick has a pitcher's motion in his delivery from being a baseball pitcher, and it's necessary for him to have that also because his arms are so long (almost 34"). Kaepernick is naturally a more accurate thrower than Locker... However, what also helps Kaepernick be more accurate is the fact that he doesn't have this "curl hop" footwork at the top of his drop... there's no way he could get by with having to overstride with 34" arms.

You see... everything that happens above the waist with a quarterback, is a direct result of what's going on with the feet... always has, always will.

Overstriding with your feet causes you to have a longer wind-up in you delivery... Long arms cause you to have more of a wind-up in your deliver. A quarterback can get away with overstriding more if he has short arms to off-set the difference.

The best quarterbacks in NFL history who were all in the 6'3"- 6'4"+, all had short arms no longer than 32" in most cases... anytime you can find a quarterback with good height like that, but with short arms, he's naturally going to have an exceptionally quick delivery.

Of all the Senior quarterbacks in this draft who have been measured so far, which one fits this profile the best?

Pat Devlin.. who's 6'3", but only has 31 1/2" arms.... it's no coincidence that Devlin also has the quickest, cleanest, most compact delivery in this class of quarterbacks.

It's a very interesting study.... Look at the best 6'4" or so quarterbacks currently in the NFL (Phillip Rivers, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tom Brady, etc.) and look at their arm lengths compared to their height... they all have short arms to be that tall.

The sad thing is (if the rumors are true) we're so in love with Kaepernick that we probably won't even give much of a look to guys like Devlin.

Back
Top Bottom