Watt deal with Cards likely creates Miami Dolphins opening to sign Haason Reddick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Watt deal with Cards likely creates Miami Dolphins opening to sign Haason Reddick

I'm interested, depending upon what he is looking for in a contract.

Hard to say how he would fit though. 4-3 reads/responsibilities for a LB are quite different than 3-4.

Hard to say how he would fit though. 4-3 reads/responsibilities for a LB are quite different than 3-4.

For the most part they are not the same. The king of 3-4 Steelers linebackers which still employ the Dick Lebeau system requires big athletic linebackers. However If you look at the steelers starters last season they were not really your usual prototypical Lebeau linebackers other than TJ. Watt. Hell Devin Bush is like 5'11, probably the shortest 3-4 linebacker I seen the steelers use in the last decade.

I believe he had 5 sacks in one game this year. While impressive, it does skew the numbers from a consistency standpoint.

5 sacks against a struggling Andrew Thomas isn't impressive to me. He gave up 10 sacks the whole season, and almost gave up more. He was a disaster at LT for the Giants. And he was the first OT drafted, but the Giants had enough data to draft someone else at tackle and they still drafted him. If the Cardinals don't resign him is for a reason.

5 sacks against a struggling Andrew Thomas isn't impressive to me. He gave up 10 sacks the whole season, and almost gave up more. He was a disaster at LT for the Giants. And he was the first OT drafted, but the Giants had enough data to draft someone else at tackle and they still drafted him. If the Cardinals don't resign him is for a reason.

Kind of an odd argument. TJ Watt also played against Andrew Thomas, and didn’t put up 5 sacks.

Im obviously not saying he’s as good as Watt, but 5 sacks against any caliber of an OL is impressive, and can’t just be written off as a product of a bad OL.

I would move him all over the place. He doesn't really have a set position and at this point he'll probably never have one. He has skills though. He can cover like a glove. He can get after the QB. He's a very sound tackler. He can deal with blocks and set the edge somewhat. I would nominally put him at SAM but I would never expect him to be very sound in his read and react against the run and while he can deal with blocks at 235 I wouldn't put him in a position to have to deal with linemen head on on a consistent basis except as a pass rusher. Look at his college tape. I would play him exactly like that. He's played the 3-4 Mack role before a lot he just wasn't very good at it.

He's gone from invisible to doing a good job in contract year. Red flags there for me.......definitely a boom or bust acquisition imo.

He wasn't being played to his strengths. It was never effort. He played 3-4 Mack for 3 yrs at 235, which he never played in college. With a terrible DL in front of him.

I believe he had 5 sacks in one game this year. While impressive, it does skew the numbers from a consistency standpoint.

He also had two other games with multiple sacks and logged a sack in 7 different games.

Last edited:
Kind of an odd argument. TJ Watt also played against Andrew Thomas, and didn’t put up 5 sacks.

Im obviously not saying he’s as good as Watt, but 5 sacks against any caliber of an OL is impressive, and can’t just be written off as a product of a bad OL.

When we were discussing TJ watt it was an entirely different topic. Redick will wish in his best day that he was as good as Watt. TJ watt is one of the highest rated linebackers in the league in the last 3 years, and Redick has been somewhat disappointing up until last season. Against Andrew Thomas it doesn't look good. Among the worst Left Tackles to start last season, and a rookie.

He was a small school wonder out of Temple.

I see the same fascination with Zaven Collins out of Tulsa.

He played the slot for Temple a lot and then he would blitz from there, lol. Killed QBs. He never had a set position dating back to Temple. You just move him around and let him go after the QB from different angles. Most his sacks against the Giants he wasn't even directly lined against Thomas. I think he only got like two of them against him.

Last edited:
With Van Noy gone now, this seems more possible ..

if I recall he was a DE they tried to convert to an inside linebacker, now he’s more of a hybrid type?

He was never a true DE at Temple either. He lined up somewhere different every snap. No way he could play DE even at NCAA level at his size. Look at the tape. Look at his Giants tape, all his tape this year and his Temple tape and tell me he wouldn't be the perfect pass rusher for a Flores defense.

Back
Top Bottom