We are rebuilding, trust me. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We are rebuilding, trust me.

lotion said:
No losing season since 1988, then a dramatic fall-off for ONE year. We get a new coaching staff and the best RB in the draft. We lose one star cb and strengthen our D-line and LB core. Our weirdo Heisman RB is coming back.
We're not rebuilding, we're retooling. The new schemes may not gell on game 1 but by mid-season things should come together. Comparisons to the 01 Bills are ridiculous. I'm not predicting a playoff spot but I will say we will be over .500 for sure.

I agree to a certain extent. In the case of the 2001 Buffalo Bills, they headed into that season as a team that had been in a steady decline through the late 1990s. After making the playoffs in 1999, they were in contention under Wade Phillips for most of 2000 before collapsing, losing four of their final five games to finish 8-8. Phillips was fired and Gregg Williams was hired and he had his terrible tenure.

Now, the difference between the 2005 Miami Dolphins and the '01 Bills, is that we have a real strong man as a head coach, who has assembled an amazing coaching staff, acquired players that the team will need through free agency/draft and has eliminated all distractions from the team. These are things that Gregg Williams didn't do, which led to a spectacular failure of a 2001 campaign and if I remember correctly, the Bills were expected to be decent that season.

While contending for a playoff berth this coming season is a bit of an overstatement, seeing that the AFC is simply terrifying, I can see Miami being much more competative next season (8-8/9-7 range).

fishfan34 said:
I think new players, new improved coaches, mixed with the older players and a new and improved attitude raises the expectation levels some... Sure we're rebuilding, but there's nothing to say we can't go 8-8 or 9-7 and be still be in the playoff picture until late into the season... I refer back to the many games last year that we lost in the last minutes of the game by 7 points or less.. how many of those games do we win with our current roster and coaching staff.. i'd say 3 or 4 of them turn into wins rather than losses..

:yes:

This is what I try and tell my moron friends who are Jets and Pats fans. We could have easily won 6 to 8 games last season if we had better coaching, we're not that bad. We could have beaten Cincinnati, Arizona, Seattle & Baltimore, thats four games that we could have had, but we lost because of the crap system we had last season.

The year before last, San Diego was 4-12, and they were 12-4 last year. I don't see anything that would keep us from doing the same thing. I'm not saying we'll DEFinitely do the same thing, but what's to stop us?

shouright said:
The year before last, San Diego was 4-12, and they were 12-4 last year. I don't see anything that would keep us from doing the same thing. I'm not saying we'll DEFinitely do the same thing, but what's to stop us?
Our division for one, and the fact that we have the most difficult schedule in the NFL this year. Also our team is learning new systems, unlike the Chargers.

Megatron said:
Alot of people on here are very excited about this upcoming season, including myself. We have alot of new players, new coaches, new offensive and defensive systems, and a new outlook. We have the makings of a very good team down the road if it all gels.

Now the reality. We are in the toughest division in the AFC, the AFC itself is tough, the defending champs are in our division, and we have the toughest schedule in the NFL this season. Most of our pickups are stop gap vets to help us be competitive on short contracts, As good as any of our rookies are they are at least two to three years from being dominant players and our current vets will be learning new systems.

The truth of the matter is this is merely the beginning of out rebuilding process. Any hopes of a playoff apperance this year should be tempered with the understanding that there have been many changes to our team this off-season. Now I know we'll be better this year but I'm really looking forward to what shape this team will be in two years from now.

I think Saban is doing a bit of both. He is obviously rebuilding/retooling for the future, but he is also doing what he can to be competitive this year. I think hes done a great job at it so far too.

shouright said:

The Patriots, Jets and Bills for one thing.

This isn't the AFCW.

Some of those questions will be answered, but the Dolphins, coming off a 4-12 season, are still a work in progress.

Megatron said:
Alot of people on here are very excited about this upcoming season, including myself. We have alot of new players, new coaches, new offensive and defensive systems, and a new outlook. We have the makings of a very good team down the road if it all gels.

Now the reality. We are in the toughest division in the AFC, the AFC itself is tough, the defending champs are in our division, and we have the toughest schedule in the NFL this season. Most of our pickups are stop gap vets to help us be competitive on short contracts, As good as any of our rookies are they are at least two to three years from being dominant players and our current vets will be learning new systems.

The truth of the matter is this is merely the beginning of out rebuilding process. Any hopes of a playoff apperance this year should be tempered with the understanding that there have been many changes to our team this off-season. Now I know we'll be better this year but I'm really looking forward to what shape this team will be in two years from now.

DITTO!!!

I'm glad someone has some understanding of the situation. I'm tired of reading how we're going to the play off's or the Super Bowl this year, when that is just too remote to happen. We need to come back to planet earth and take things, one day at a time.

Back
Top Bottom