We are rebuilding, trust me. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We are rebuilding, trust me.

raving said:
I disagree to an extent. The NFL, in its current machination, is set up for any given team to be able to make 180 degree turn at any moment. Winning is contagious. The strength of schedule is based on last year's teams - it mostly means NOTHING. We have a nice shot at 3 and 3 in the East if not better. I will not be surprised to see the Dolphins be very competitive this year. Injuries are everything in our situation, so hopefully we'll stay healthy. I think if we do the AFC East title is a realistic possibility. I also expect at least one rookie to really shine and two or three to start by the end of the year. Victories this year will be considered a surprise by many, so many will be surprised. This team is loaded with talent, has a strong fan base, a fantastic coaching staff and history of winning.

Dumbstadt created a fever of pessimism and so many on this site are still deeply infected. Those days are over.
Saban has already won the battle to win the hearts and minds of players and assembled the top coaching staff, arguably in the NFL. He had a potentially GREAT draft, a very good free agency period including and especially what he did with veteran Dolphin players - who he kept and who he let go.

I expect the Chargers to struggle and even tank this year. I expect Arizona to be a highly competitive team. The Vikings too.

Nice post my freind but I do disagree on one thing, the Chargers aren't likely to struggle this year. They still have basically the same team from last year which took them to a 12-4 record. Yes they now have to contend with Randy Moss and a revamped defense from the Chiefs, but i still think they will come out on top. Denver will struggle if anything in that division because their defense won't be able to cotend with the offenses of thier division. If they we're to struggle Brees would probably be let go in the off season next year which in my opinion would not be a bad pick up. If Feely fails and SD struggles, bring Brees to Miami.

Megatron said:
Now the reality. We are in the toughest division in the AFC, the AFC itself is tough, the defending champs are in our division, and we have the toughest schedule in the NFL this season. Most of our pickups are stop gap vets to help us be competitive on short contracts, As good as any of our rookies are they are at least two to three years from being dominant players and our current vets will be learning new systems.

Aren't the majority of pickups stop gap? Unless you can sign 53 players to max contracts, a lot are stop gap signings. Saban will use the draft and we will get a few long term guys that way, but most in 3-4 years will be let go because they want more money. It will be a Pats cycle. It also means like the Heat, a lot of short term contracts and a lot of rookies.

I don't think we are rebuilding as much as tweaking for a new coach. There is no end goal other then the have the type of players Saban wants at the position. Rebuilding sounds like it will take years to get people in place. It will, but that will happen every year. So, by that account, every NFL team rebuilds every year. I just think that is a dramatic way of looking at it. There aren't many 'lifers' left in the NFL and Saban will replenish thru the draft every year.

lotion said:
Isn't Megatron a pistol...?

pistol: A tool that makes it all too easy for you to shoot
yourself in the foot.
And isn't lotion something you smear on your buttocks??

bigmiamifan said:
Aren't the majority of pickups stop gap? Unless you can sign 53 players to max contracts, a lot are stop gap signings. Saban will use the draft and we will get a few long term guys that way, but most in 3-4 years will be let go because they want more money. It will be a Pats cycle. It also means like the Heat, a lot of short term contracts and a lot of rookies.

I don't think we are rebuilding as much as tweaking for a new coach. There is no end goal other then the have the type of players Saban wants at the position. Rebuilding sounds like it will take years to get people in place. It will, but that will happen every year. So, by that account, every NFL team rebuilds every year. I just think that is a dramatic way of looking at it. There aren't many 'lifers' left in the NFL and Saban will replenish thru the draft every year.
Exactly, alot of our pickups are just warm bodies. Slowly Saban is going to change this team into his image of it. Of course the team has to be competitive, at the same time and if they do well I'll be all the happier. This rebuilding/retooling thing is what's got peoples goats. I see NE as retooling, being the champs and all. I see us as rebuilding, seeing as we're coming from the gutter.

Wagon Circler said:
The 2004 fins situation is similar to the Bills of '01. Bills were 3-13 and we went into rebuilding mode. Three years later we are legitimate contenders. Just be patient, everything is cyclical.

Funny, you are very right with this point, but if you look at the Fins history, it hasn't been cyclical like most other teams...Many Fins fans can't remember the last losing season we had..(I can, it wasn't fun then either), but as a whole, Fins fans are not very patient, because we haven't had the ups and downs like most other teams...

LarryFinFan said:
Funny, you are very right with this point, but if you look at the Fins history, it hasn't been cyclical like most other teams...Many Fins fans can't remember the last losing season we had..(I can, it wasn't fun then either), but as a whole, Fins fans are not very patient, because we haven't had the ups and downs like most other teams...
Good one Larry, you hit it right on the head.

I don't think Saban is thinking rebuilding, never heard him ever use that word. I think he is hoping for a competitive team. Saban is a winner and he wants to win NOW! But anything above 4-12 will make me happy.

Dol_Fan_4_Ever said:
wow, has anyone actually looked at the picture of the buffalo in the Bills picture?? The snorting nose is under the mouth, what the hell?!

And by the bandages on its face and the ripped clothes, it looks like it had its a$$ kicked:lol:

Megatron said:
Alot of people on here are very excited about this upcoming season, including myself. We have alot of new players, new coaches, new offensive and defensive systems, and a new outlook. We have the makings of a very good team down the road if it all gels.

Now the reality. We are in the toughest division in the AFC, the AFC itself is tough, the defending champs are in our division, and we have the toughest schedule in the NFL this season. Most of our pickups are stop gap vets to help us be competitive on short contracts, As good as any of our rookies are they are at least two to three years from being dominant players and our current vets will be learning new systems.

The truth of the matter is this is merely the beginning of out rebuilding process. Any hopes of a playoff apperance this year should be tempered with the understanding that there have been many changes to our team this off-season. Now I know we'll be better this year but I'm really looking forward to what shape this team will be in two years from now.

....I disagree:) :)

Back
Top Bottom