We Have all done what Rickey Did Once. | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We Have all done what Rickey Did Once.

Krush said:
Why don't you Ricky Williams hater take a chill pill, some of you fin fans have given your job a 2 weeks notice and you actually left before they could find a replacement for you.

Ricky did what was best for him just as you would for yourself. I think sometimes we look at atheletes as people who are in a three ring circus. I don't like the way things went down with ricky but I respect his decision and so should you.
The football player put their health on the line every sunday for your entainment, your office pools, and so you can wear your favorite team logo, but in the end we don't respect them as people because we're so much better?

Ricky might come back to the dolphins, please respect him as person.
We all haven't done that. I have 19 years in the military...we can't give two weeks notice. So, no...we all haven't done what Ricky did. Plus I have NEVER smoked or taken any type of drug. That is why Ricky quit! People give 2 weeks notice because they find another job or don't like their current job or maybe even they are moving. They don't give 2 weeks to smoke dope!!

NOTE: And we in the military put our lives on the line! No sport here!!!

I say again were you also cheering when ricky demolish those defensive backs, I don't like what he did either but he's still a good running back. I guess you"d would rather see him push our face masks in playing for another team.

painnotpleasure said:
I truly feel that most of us are disappointed and have our hatred against Ricky because we feel betrayed. We feel like he walked out on us, which is true. This isn't like some teenager quitting his job at a fast food place every other month and walking out. A lot of people depended on and were counting on Ricky. He let his teammates down. He let the fans down. I understand that Ricky suffers from Social Anxiety Disorder. I may understand this better than a lot of people here for the simple fact that I have also been disagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder as well as Depression. I too, like Ricky have used the the anti-depressant Paxil (used for treating depression and anxiety). And let me tell you, those types of perscription drug medications really screw with your head. One of the biggest mistakes I made was taking that medication as well as going on and off it (sometimes without telling the doctor). I'm assuming Ricky made the same mistake as I did because I recall him saying that he stopped taking Paxil because it was interfering with his diet. Which is true any medication or drug can make you gain weight or lose weight. And we all know how important a diet is for a football player or any athlete for that matter. One of the most important things for a professional athelete is their diet, no doubt about that. I honestly don't blame Ricky for wanting to get off that medication. That is one of the only few things, I don't blame him for.

Also like Ricky I myself have also smoked marijuana a few times before. Never once in my life did I ever become addicted nor would I ever try any other drug. My brother was heroine addict, and I just seen all the stress and worst possible things imagined that, that could put through a family. I remember Ricky once saying "Marijuana works me better than Paxil ever could." When he said that... it just really hit me because I've experienced the same EXACT thing and completely agreed. Paxil didn't help me much, and I went off it too quick and it screwed my mind up... I almost ended up committing suicide because of it. Never once in my lfie was I ever truly suicidal before I had taken Paxil or any type of medication for that reason, that just is an example of how much if affects your brain and why you should never go off it without the doctor knowing and going off it slowly. I made a mistake, and I almost let a lot of people down because of it... unfortuately Ricky did let a lot of people down but in a different way. When it came to anxiety, smoking weed helped so much more than Paxil or any other medication ever could. It just hit me so hard when he said that. My favorite player at the time... quitting the NFL. Leaving the Miami Dolphins. Going off Paxil (The same medication I had taken) and smoking weed which I had tried when I never thought I ever would have.

As for now, I haven't smoked in months, actually don't think I have since last summer to be perfectly honest. I've only smoked a few times in my life, and for the most part it was more for treating the anxiety and helping with the depression more than it was just for fun. I was always with friends and girls whenever I did though, I never did it alone. And only a few times total in my lifetime. The point I'm trying to make by all this is, I don't condone Ricky's actions for what he did to the fans, the team, and this whole organization. I really truly can relate what he is going through or has went through and it's really ashame. I'm very fortuate, and I wish Ricky dealed with everything differently and it could have all turned out a whole lot better... and he could just be seeing a psychiatrist every so often... working on his problems... yet still be in the NFL. He didn't have to continue endorsing he smoked marijuana, bash the team... deny that he had done anything wrong. Deny any apologies whatsoever. I like Ricky, have made a mistake (many mistakes... hell we all have), and I truly feel I have changed and become a better person. Ricky is (well was) in his mid to late 20's when this all happened. He's got to be more mature and more responsible for his actions and what he says.

They say some people never change, I would like to believe that doesn't go for everyone, but I realize it some cases, it's true. I understand this may just be wishful thinking on my part, but I want to believe that if Ricky does come back he will be a changed man and not only like he was in 2002 but better than that. I'm just talking physically and athletically, but mentally. Because that's where the route of all his problems lie, mentally. First thing he has to do or if he hasn't already is get off the weed. Second is start working on being more positive, being responbile, being mature, and not only showing but believing in hardwork and dedication that he still has love for this game and would still like to play for this organization. Next he should continue working out to get back in shape to what he once was or the best he can be, if he hasn't already.

Again, this is all just wishful thinking but I want to be positive about it and hope for the best. I learn never to count on Ricky again and what he has done for us, but I'm not giving up hope yet. I'm still going to believe there's a chance he can change and prove a lot of the doubters wrong, and that it will all be for the best. I know better than to count on that happening, but my by no means am I counting on that. I'm sorry I wrote like 500 pages worth of me blabbering, but I've wanted to share my personal insight on the situation. I've been delaying posting in this thread because I wanted I knew I would have a lot to say and I wanted to think about it before I actually did it. Hell, I could go on for so much more but for anyone who's made it this far. Thanks reading. And apologize for everyone else for taking up so much space. Thanks you.

--Mike

Thanks for the insightful post. I appreciate your honesty.

I do have a question though. You seem to know a lot about this stuff from your own personal experience and You say a lot of bad things about Paxil. (frankly it sounds like a scary drug to be taking) You also say that Ricky should quit smoking marijuana, even though your own experience has shown it to be as effective and have less side effects than Paxil.

The only way that Ricky is going to be able to play again, is he has his SAD under control. That being the case, what would you recomend that he do, take Paxil or smoke pot?

inFINSible said:
Thanks for the insightful post. I appreciate your honesty.

I do have a question though. You seem to know a lot about this stuff from your own personal experience and You say a lot of bad things about Paxil. (frankly it sounds like a scary drug to be taking) You also say that Ricky should quit smoking marijuana, even though your own experience has shown it to be as effective and have less side effects than Paxil.

The only way that Ricky is going to be able to play again, is he has his SAD under control. That being the case, what would you recomend that he do, take Paxil or smoke pot?
Thanks inFINS. The thing I read about Paxil AFTER I started taking and went through the horrible experience was that one of the side effects is that (in some cases) if you go off it too quickly without doctor's permission you could end up committing suicide. I know a few other people who have taken Paxil and had bad experiences also. One story, I read was... a survivor of 911 who was traumitized from the whole experience decided to seek therapy and a psychiatrist. (I'll try to find this story later when I get home.) He was an average guy with know abnormal medical history whatsoever and he was just traumatized from the whole 911 incident (actually was working in the World Trade Center at the time). He survived but was not seriously injured from 911. But anyway, he decided to seek professional help because he was traumitized from the tragic event having actually lived through it. His doctor had perscribed Paxil for him... and he was taking it for a decent amount of time I believe and than he went off it without telling his doctor and ended up committing suicide. I don't know the whole story, and am not sure if it can be proven that Paxil was the cause, but from using it myself I know it definitely had a big factor in it. Also, there was another story a man who felted depressed and had anxiety and wanted to seek professional help. His doctor put him on Paxil, and then after it had started working for him he went off it and ended up killing himself, his wife, and his two daughters I believe. Paxil can be a dangerous drug especially when described for those under 18 and ESPECIALLY when you go off it without telling the doctor. That goes for an medication. I made that mistake, I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if Ricky did as well, and I know of thousands of other people have as well. Again, I will search for all these stories when I get home to confirm this. But I do know that the Paxil company has been sued many times and is probably still in lawsuits by the families of those who have committed suicide by taking it. Again, the problem is I don't think there is any 100% legit documented Medical evidence that Paxil caused the suicides or any of these problems, definitely could imagine it being hard to prove 100%.

You also say that Ricky should quit smoking marijuana, even though your own experience has shown it to be as effective and have less side effects than Paxil.
That is a great question. Not taking marijuana is something I wouldn't like to resort to as a solution because I am against the entire of taking any illegal drugs and feel guilt because of it. I don't think marijuana is as bad as some hard drugs like crack or heroine, but I think if you're using any illegal drug without doctor approval to make yourself feel better, or if you're doing it for a reason, then I think that's when it becomes serious and is a problem. At least I know that to be true for me which is why I rarely smoke if ever. The last time I think was around July or August.. I feel Ricky should quit smoking marijuana for the soul purpose that it's illegal and could get him in a lot of trouble with his profession (assuming he's playing in the NFL). I also feel, like I stated that if you're smoking marijuana for a reason to feel better, that's basically an addiction in my eyes. What I think Ricky to due is seek "professional help" and be under the advision of a doctor. That is the problem many people make... I made it myself, by going off the medication on my own. I was not aware of the side effects or what would happen if I went off it, and if I had been aware of what would happen... I am 100% sure I never would have went off it the way I did. If you want to go a medication, you have to be weened off it by a doctor slowly. Doctors actually do know what they're doing. I think Ricky can't try to be solving everything by himself... smoking marijuana... deciding to stop taking medication (I would guess that he did on his own and didn't use it religiously). I feel Ricky should be seeing a psychiatrist and let them him and a doctor decide together if he should be on medication and how to deal with things better because it's obviously showed he isn't responsible or mature enough to do it on his own... neither was I... at the time. Medication (even Paxil) doesn't mean it's going to be a bad thing and maybe even be helpful (for some it all depends on the person), if you use it properly. If Ricky goes back on medication for anxiety and is supervised by a doctor and uses it properly, I definitely think that, that would be a plus and great thing for him to do. It might be help him on becoming responsbile, mature, hardworking, dedicated, and help him work on gaining back the trust and loyaly of the people he let down. I'm not counting on it, but I think it's definitely positive if he goes about it the right way.

Krush said:
Why don't you Ricky Williams hater take a chill pill, some of you fin fans have given your job a 2 weeks notice and you actually left before they could find a replacement for you.

Ricky did what was best for him just as you would for yourself. I think sometimes we look at atheletes as people who are in a three ring circus. I don't like the way things went down with ricky but I respect his decision and so should you.
The football player put their health on the line every sunday for your entainment, your office pools, and so you can wear your favorite team logo, but in the end we don't respect them as people because we're so much better?

Are you his agent or something?

I would welcome Ricky back with open arms...

Hey InFINS, Here are some links I was able to find.

Attached is a photo of my sister Suzanne and her family. They live in Silverton, OR. She married Matthew Miles @ 5 years ago and they had Maddie on October 13, 1997. Suzanne's 2 older girls, Brittany, 17, and April, 13, are from previous relationships. Suzanne began taking Prozac quite a number of years ago (about 7) and everything was fine. Then last year she said it wasn't helping anymore. Her doctor told her to double her dosage. It started making her feel crazy - twitching, anxiety attacks. So they switched her to Paxil. She began taking Paxil in mid-January 2000. On February 29th, she shot and killed her husband Matthew. He was just 31 years old. Maddie has lost her father. My nieces' have lost their mother and is in jail for killing him. My sister says that she started feeling suicidal and went to her husband's work to kill herself in front of him. She doesn't know why but she shot him instead. She and Matt had recently separated and I know the DA is going to try to say that she was distraught over the breakup, but I know it's the Paxil. After reading all of the emails sent by you and reading the articles on the internet, we now need to prove that it was the Paxil and not just a woman killing her husband for leaving her.
http://www.drugawareness.org/Archives/Survivors/record0195.html

Just a real sad case of someone who experienced someone extremly close to them and the tragedy of what could happen when you start taking Paxil and than going off it "cold turkey".

Other examples of alarming behavior outlined in the documents include:

A 10-year-old boy taking Paxil for two weeks "became violent and out of control with aggressive and agitated behavior toward himself." He ran away from home and was put on suicide and escape watch in a children's psychiatric ward;

An 11-year-old girl on Paxil for two weeks was hospitalized after telling her mom "she wanted to hang herself from the ceiling fan."

An 11-year-old boy "held a knife to his wrist and threatened to harm himself" two days after stopping Paxil.

A 14-year-boy on Paxil for two weeks became enraged, punched pictures, broke glass and suffered deep cuts. After his anger eased, "He expressed hopelessness and possible suicide thoughts."

In some cases, investigators working for Paxil manufacturer GlaxoSmithKline said the behavior was "possibly related" to taking Paxil; in others, they blamed the children's depression, mental disorder or family problems.
http://www.yourlawyer.com/practice/news.htm?story_id=8286&topic=Paxil

Yes, it's a lot dangerous for those under 18 but it's also harmful regardless of what age, if you go off without telling a doctor.

read in the paper today that the antidepressant Paxil, a drug which was approved by the FDA, was know to have suicidal side effects in teenagers. I feel very close to this issue because my father, an otherwise gentle and committed citizen, committed suicide within one week of being prescribed Paxil to help him with panic attacks. As a mother myself, I feel for every mother who has lost her child to suicide, particularly when there are clear indications, in study after study, that Paxil does in fact lead people (old and young) to exhibit uncharacteristic violent and self-destructive behaviors. Citizens have a right to seek justice when they have been mislead.

In the paper today (New York Post, August 1, p. 11) there is a story about how GlaxoSmithKline was fully aware that Paxil caused destructive side effects, and that the FDA endorsed them anyway. So let me get this straight: the corporations you are protecting with this new proposed legislation basically put profit over the welfare and benefit of the people. Doesn’t this strike you as being extremely immoral and contradictory to the family values that you supposedly uphold?
http://kayletters.blogspot.com/2004/08/re-blocking-lawsuits-yet-paxil-causes.html

This guy GlaxoSmithKline is evidentally aware of the effects it causes, but since it is not have been proven, he continues to endorse the product. I'm not surprised...

The expert gained access to confidential company documents of GlaxoSmithKline and found that results of the company’s own clinical trials of Paxil, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressant, show that the drug increases the risk of suicide.

The results show that about one out of every 60 people on Paxil attempt to commit suicide, compared with one out of every 550 people taking a placebo. This means that the risk of committing suicide while on Paxil is nine or 10 times greater than the risk on a sugar pill.
It just backs up what I already believe, that Paxil messes with your mind.

Here is also a HUGE list of stories and tradegies from taking medications like Paxil used for treating Depression, Social Anxiety Disorder, etc. etc.

I couldn't find the two links I was looking for. One was with the man who had started taking Paxil due to personally living through the experience of the WTC and being at one of the towers while it had happened and than ended up killing himself shortly after going on Paxil (then going off). The other one was someone who started taking Paxil, then went off, and murdered his wife, two daughters, and then himself. Again, from taking than going off Paxil. I will try to keep searching for these links and also maybe some petitions against the drug (s) trying to get rid of it them.

I really appreciate you listening (and hell anyone who is reading this), it is really great to be able to talk about this and let it all out. Luckily, I'm off Paxil now and haven't taken it in a LONG time. Also proud to say, that I'm doing much better without it. Thanks for listening.

Ricky suffers from that disorder thingy though doesnt he? Why does no one mention how that was a factor in his decision? We all need to cut the guy some slack, he let his team mates down but he was only being honest with himself and the rest of us

PhinfanUK said:
Ricky suffers from that disorder thingy though doesnt he? Why does no one mention how that was a factor in his decision? We all need to cut the guy some slack, he let his team mates down but he was only being honest with himself and the rest of us

I don't think I'd use the word "honest". His reasons changed everytime he opened his mouth. The only consistent part of it was that it was always somebody else's fault.

Krush said:

Respect????!!!!!!!!!!!! No one who did what he did deserves repect, Ricky can go **** himself, get high and **** himself again.

Back
Top Bottom