Welker As Emergency Cornerback? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Welker As Emergency Cornerback?

Muck said:
I was listening to the show and heard him mention this.

Some caller said that he'd heard about Bryan Gilmore being one of the fastest guys on the team and mentioned that Gilmore doesn't see a lot of snaps at WR. So naturally, the asked when we should expect to see Gilmore moved to defense the way the Patriots did with Troy Brown. :smackhead

Saban had been heaping serious praise on Wes Welker earlier in the show. Among the highlights, he mentioned Welker's intelligence, toughness, intensity, relentlessness, resliliancy, etc. Really praising him. He said that not only is he a good football player, but parents out there would be proud to have someone like Wes Welker as a son. Welker practices exactly the same way he plays. Everything is full speed ahead with him.

Anyway, when the caller asked about Gilmore, Saban said that the guy they'd want to put back there at the 'Star' position (which is what he refers to the role that the Pats used Brown in because it's not overly difficult and it doesn't require a lot of reps to get a player ready for) was Wes.

Before that, Saban said that Gilmore has done a fantastic job on special teams, and that he'd hoped that fact hadn't gone unnoticed with the fans. He said that Gilmore is developing into a nice receiver and he's has done a good job whenever he's been given opportunities at WR in a game. What's kept Gilmore off the field is the team trying to get David Boston going and Wes Welker emerging as a receiver.

He also said we would be seeing more of gilmore soon, I took it as Boston is almost done for the year.

ckparrothead said:
Wow. Is there anything he CANT do????

We should try him at quarterback. No, seriously.

I would definitly go with that.

I'm going to take a chance and say he's better than Reggie Howard. :lol:

i think matt turk would be better than reggie howard

Actually Welker played DB in high school.

Personal Bio

Attended Heritage Hall High School in Oklahoma City, where he played both running back and defensive back ... Was named the Oklahoma Player of the Year as a senior by numerous media outlets ... Was an all-state choice as a running back ... In his career, rushed for 3,235 yards and 53 touchdowns on 495 attempts, while catching 174 passes for 2,551 yards and 27 scores ... Also snared 22 interceptions and returned seven punts for touchdowns ... Scored a total of 90 touchdowns in his prep career ... Also served as a placekicker and hit a 57-yard field goal ... Born May 1, 1981.

hdjetta6316 said:

Personal Bio

Attended Heritage Hall High School in Oklahoma City, where he played both running back and defensive back ... Was named the Oklahoma Player of the Year as a senior by numerous media outlets ... Was an all-state choice as a running back ... In his career, rushed for 3,235 yards and 53 touchdowns on 495 attempts, while catching 174 passes for 2,551 yards and 27 scores ... Also snared 22 interceptions and returned seven punts for touchdowns ... Scored a total of 90 touchdowns in his prep career ... Also served as a placekicker and hit a 57-yard field goal ... Born May 1, 1981.

:allhail:

hdjetta6316 said:

Personal Bio

He is just pure athlete. I think we should keep him off defense so he doesn't get hurt though if we overuse him we might regret it.

Since when is Welker a CB? he hasnt got speed to burn and hes a Return/WR? I love Welker cos he brings a spark and he always makes you think he can create something but this story says "we cant get a decent CB by waivers so we are gonna hype up Welker and hope to god we dont have to use him!!!"
Brown did it for the Patsies but that was a one off in my book. I am seriously worried if we are going to use Welker to fill the slot.

FanMarino said:
Since when is Welker a CB? he hasnt got speed to burn and hes a Return/WR? I love Welker cos he brings a spark and he always makes you think he can create something but this story says "we cant get a decent CB by waivers so we are gonna hype up Welker and hope to god we dont have to use him!!!"
Brown did it for the Patsies but that was a one off in my book. I am seriously worried if we are going to use Welker to fill the slot.

I don't want him to play, but i think he could fill in well in the slot. Slot guys are ussually possesion receivers not burners.

Back
Top Bottom