Welker Looks Great in Mini Camp | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Welker Looks Great in Mini Camp

Most Pats fans I know have been slobering over Welker since his first year with the Dolphins. On my fave Patriots board everyone was always saying how they wished he was a Patriot, well before the trade happened.

True... I remember watching a 'Phins-Pats game with my father (huge Pats fan) and he was constantly praising Welker for his play. He's truly relieved that he's with the Pats instead of us this year... :shakeno:

True... I remember watching a 'Phins-Pats game with my father (huge Pats fan) and he was constantly praising Welker for his play. He's truly relieved that he's with the Pats instead of us this year... :shakeno:

Your Father sounds like a smart man....you should have listened to him more often. :wink:

Wes is going to kick butt... Brady will find him all over the place. He will be used properly for the first time.

I hate the fact Welker is a Patriot. With the way the Pats find ways to utilize their players, I bet he'll make more of an impact than Moss or Stallworth will. Hopefully Satele turns into one hell of a center so I won't have to be bitter about the trade.

Wes Welker's 2007 Adventure!

112 recs | 1,175 yds | 8 TDs

Trivia: How many players caught more passes than Wes Welker this year?

112 recs | 1,175 yds | 8 TDs

Trivia: How many players caught more passes than Wes Welker this year?

That's great but he averaged just 10 yards per rec and benfiots greatly from Moss and the other weapons. he would not have caught 112 in Miami but he still would have averaged about 10 yards per rec. That is what he is, He gets alot of screens and is almost like a running back catching balls out of the backfield. D's do not worry about him for a second w/ the other weapons NE has. Wes is a GOOD player, he was not worth what NE gave up to get him and he would have cost you guys too much to keep him.

That's great but he averaged just 10 yards per rec and benfiots greatly from Moss and the other weapons. he would not have caught 112 in Miami but he still would have averaged about 10 yards per rec. That is what he is, He gets alot of screens and is almost like a running back catching balls out of the backfield. D's do not worry about him for a second w/ the other weapons NE has. Wes is a GOOD player, he was not worth what NE gave up to get him and he would have cost you guys too much to keep him.

He's basically the TE in that offense. His ypc aren't going to be high anyway. And as the TE/slot WR, he's a mismatch for everyone assigned to him. He's a very good player who's great at what he does. If defenses don't want to worry about him, NE will take it all day long. They'll gladly march down the field 10.5 yards at a time.

I think NE made a great trade. If you can get that kind of production out of a second round pick, regardless of scheme, I doubt a GM in the league will argue with that.

Would Dolphin fans spend the 60th overall pick if it meant the return of Mr. 1st Down, O.J. McDuffie? Gladly.

Welker's numbers were basically identical to TJ Houshmanzadeh's, with a slightly higher ypc.

He's basically the TE in that offense. His ypc aren't going to be high anyway. And as the TE/slot WR, he's a mismatch for everyone assigned to him. He's a very good player who's great at what he does. If defenses don't want to worry about him, NE will take it all day long. They'll gladly march down the field 10.5 yards at a time.

I think NE made a great trade. If you can get that kind of production out of a second round pick, regardless of scheme, I doubt a GM in the league will argue with that.

Would Dolphin fans spend the 60th overall pick if it meant the return of Mr. 1st Down, O.J. McDuffie? Gladly.

Welker's numbers were basically identical to TJ Houshmanzadeh's, with a slightly higher ypc.

Gaffney or anyone could have done what Welker did. It's easy to find Wes Welkers which is why you don't give him $10 mil guaranteed and give up a 2nd and 7th rd pick for him. Teams don't worry about him, they can't b/c of the other weapons. Any halfway decent player could put up Wes' #s in that offense.

Let's also not forget how Wes had a good % of his #s in garbage time when the Pats were running up the score. He's a GOOD player, still not worth what NE gave up for him. I just hope Moss is gone next year by some miracle(maybe Daniel Snyder will open up the checkbook?) then we'll see what Wes can do. he's a nice possession receiver, nothing special.

Gaffney or anyone could have done what Welker did. It's easy to find Wes Welkers which is why you don't give him $10 mil guaranteed and give up a 2nd and 7th rd pick for him. Teams don't worry about him, they can't b/c of the other weapons. Any halfway decent player could put up Wes' #s in that offense.

They're certainly an offensive juggernaut.

But since Gaffney was already under contract, wouldn't the Patriots have known that they had a 'Welker' on the roster?

The reason Gaffney wasn't handed that job was because he caught 11 passes the year before (with New England) and wasn't expected to make the team. He'd been cut by Philly and sat on the street prior to. The fact is, Gaffney made big a huge improvement in training camp.

Welker, meanwhile, caught a lot of clutch passes for Miami the previous year, and 67 total. And there was that familiarity. Hey, it might be stoopid, but the Pats chose to double him rather than Chambers/Booker in 2006.

Let's also not forget how Wes had a good % of his #s in garbage time when the Pats were running up the score. He's a GOOD player, still not worth what NE gave up for him. I just hope Moss is gone next year by some miracle(maybe Daniel Snyder will open up the checkbook?) then we'll see what Wes can do. he's a nice possession receiver, nothing special.
A good bunch of all of their stats came in garbage time. If you're going to discount his, you should discount Brady's, Moss', etc.

And while we're at it, we should discount every other QB/WR's stats that came while they were playing from way behind and throwing every down.

I've already seen what Welker can do without a Moss. Or a Brady. Or a great number of other things. I'm a Dolphins fan. :lol:

He'll still catch a bunch of passes, many in the clutch, and pick up first downs.

Welker cuahgt alot of clutch p;asses for Miami in '06? You guys were out of the race by October, how many clutch situations was he in? and they got Welker before they got Moss, if they had gotten Moss first I doubt they waste the money on Welker and then gaffney couild have become what Welker was this year.

I don't believe that the Pats doubled him, that was alot of talk AFTER NE acquired him but Wes never did anything against NE- why would they double him instead of Chambers and/or Booker?

2005:

vs. NE: 2 recs, 61 yds, 0 TDs
at NE: 2 recs, 20 yds, 0 TDs

2006:

at NE: 9 recs, 77 yds(a whopping 8.6 per), 0 TDs
vs. NE: 1 rec, -1 yds

Lets total that up:

4 games, 14 recs, 157 yds, 0 TDs

per game average: 3.5 recs, 39 yds, 0 TDs

Welker cuahgt alot of clutch p;asses for Miami in '06? You guys were out of the race by October, how many clutch situations was he in? and they got Welker before they got Moss, if they had gotten Moss first I doubt they waste the money on Welker and then gaffney couild have become what Welker was this year.

I don't believe that the Pats doubled him, that was alot of talk AFTER NE acquired him but Wes never did anything against NE- why would they double him instead of Chambers and/or Booker?

2005:

2006:

Lets total that up:

He must have been too busy dreaming of being on the other sideline to produce in those games. I agree with you, Welker's numbers are blown up from being on a very good, pass happy team with Randy Moss. He doesn't produce numbers like that on any other team in the league.

This has to be the biggest of the biggest Dolphin blunders in letting him go (second only to not taking Brady Quinn).

BZ

This has to be the biggest of the biggest Dolphin blunders in letting him go (second only to not taking Brady Quinn).

BZ

It is clearly not a blunder ...but a bonanza.

He was a slot reciever and still is.

The Patriots signed him away. We recieved compensation. We used the compensation to pick Samson Satele who is a very good center and will be around long after Welker is gone.

So NO. it was a good move for the Dolphins.

2005:

2006:

Lets total that up:

Well said. There are at least 30 other guys that could do what Welker does: Catch the ball and fall down.

Back
Top Bottom