Well... it's mock draft time. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Well... it's mock draft time.

Feverdream

Club Member
Reaction score
...and I couldn't resist.

Here's my take on how I would spend our limited draft capital this year. I'm hunting for players who can step in and play immediately (so that means drafting the 'lesser' positions), as well as looking at replacing players that are soon to leave (Ogbah).

Charbonnet would become our almost every down RB from day one. He's big and has nice hands, linebackers wouldn't like to see him catching the ball in space, he could run over or around them.
Morris is a big Edge type... like Ogbah. I've had him rated higher than most touts all year, he's a scheme fit.
Overshown is a former safety who would replace Baker eventually.
Dennis is a quality inside thumper who can cover and blitz (11 sacks this year). He isn't Parsons, but he's a solid shot late.
McClendon is a RT who could also play Guard.

Zach Charbonnet
RB | UCLA
Mike Morris
DL | Michigan
DeMarvion Overshown
LB | Texas
SirVocea Dennis
LB | Pittsburgh
Warren McClendon
OT | Georgia

I know... it's really early.

Charbonnet would be a perfect fit. He is pretty uncanny at making people miss too. More importantly, he can break tackles and get those tough yards. I think it's a good bet he's around Miami's pick as well.

I think Morris is another good fit. Overshown is athletic and the Dolphins need linebackers.

Don't know enough about the other two to chime in.

I'd LOVE to get Morris as I think we are thin at 'big edge' without Ogbah, but honestly, I'd be a bit surprised if a blue collar edge drops to that point. He might because so many teams are looking for sack first, set edge second type of players and Morris is the reverse of that.
Overshown is a bit of a tweener as he started out at Safety, but in today's positionless football, I think he'd be a fun piece for any DC to exploit.
One thing is for sure, we lack LBs. Baker, Tindall, Goode, and Phillips (who is more of an Edge) are all we have under contract. And that's why I double dipped there. Dennis is a touch small for MLB duties, but he's played a lot and produced... typical 3rd day player.
As far as McClendon goes... if we took him, he'd likely end up on the PS. Most linemen would, we have a lot of returning players.

I like the first 3 picks very much, but I doubt Morris lasts to pick 77.

I dont get the defensive lineman pick. SF had the DL pick too in his mock.
Two rookie linebackers is one too many. There is no way both should make the team over some veterans. There is no way we should play and carry two rookie linebackers.
Charbonnet would be nice. I think that is the right spot for him, pending combine.

I dont get the defensive lineman pick. SF had the DL pick too in his mock.
Two rookie linebackers is one too many. There is no way both should make the team over some veterans. There is no way we should play and carry two rookie linebackers.
Charbonnet would be nice. I think that is the right spot for him, pending combine.
Defensive Linemen come in a number of types... Inside guys like Wilkins are almost all run stoppers, very few of them provide much pass rush... Whether you call the DTs or NTs... their job is the same, to be immovable. WE have enough here. Wilkins is outstanding, Davis is pretty good... Sieler is very good, but liable to leave at the end of his contract, plus, we have a number of young players in house.
DEs are different animals. Some are smaller... we usually call them Edges (or even linebackers) these days, and some of the famous ones only go 230-240 lbs, but honestly, most of these guys are not 3 down players. They aren't stout enough against the run. Both Phillips and Chubb are generally thought of as linebackers, though they are bigger.
But the guy you need to play inside and out is a hand down, run first player who can add sacks too. This guy plays all three downs and is larger, frequently lining up inside of a Chubb or Phillips on 3rd and 10, or alone outside on 3rd and 2.
This position, despite its lack of glory, is harder to fill... and why Ogbah secured a 16m/year contract when he was only 'good'.
But Ogbah is aging, has a back injury, and is in his last year on the Dolphins.
He is my #1 need if we want to be exceptional. We have no one on the team that plays this position, and his injuries seriously led to our struggles this year.
Morris is a 21 year old guy who goes 291 pounds and can set and edge AND rush the passer. I think he can be better than Ogbah ever was, and for some reason... he might be available to us.
Honestly, I thought about taking him INSTEAD of Charbonnet. It's a more important position.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't either... I was shocked, but I was trying to build my draft around a pass catching RB.
I would guess that Miami would have to use their 2nd rounder if they want Morris.

I have run mocks were he is there in the 50's.

And i don't see him as the kind of guy who will move up drastically due to combine/workouts.

I would guess that Miami would have to use their 2nd rounder if they want Morris.

I have run mocks were he is there in the 50's.

And i don't see him as the kind of guy who will move up drastically due to combine/workouts.
Players like Morris who are very good in two areas generally aren't as valued as guys who are excellent in one.
Phillips, for instance, went in the first, even though he had a major medical red flag... and his value was almost entirely based upon his ability to rush the passer-- even now, articles on Phillips say things like 'his run stopping is improving'.
I understand this, because getting to the QB is such a premium skill, but 3 down defensive players are so rare now, and every DC wants to disguise what they are doing.
This makes me value (maybe overvalue) players who have multiple skill sets. I desperately wanted Micah Parsons over Waddle, and was higher on Rousseau than Phillips for this exact reason.
I may be wrong, but I'm consistent about preferring guys with multiple skill sets.

Yeah, I don't either... I was shocked, but I was trying to build my draft around a pass catching RB.

There is no way that guy lasts to 51. Guys like him go in first round. He is along the lines of Arik Armstead and Jerry Tillery.

There is no way that guy lasts to 51. Guys like him go in first round. He is along the lines of Arik Armstead and Jerry Tillery.
While I believe you are correct, I will say this. Guys with his frame and non-gaudy college numbers slide much of the time.
If he was a 14 sack guy, he'd fly off the board, but most of his moves are power based and the touts say 'he lacks bend'.
I've mostly seen 2-3 round grades on him and unless he lights it up at the combine (unlikely), he might make it to me... umm, I mean us. Ahem...

...and I couldn't resist.

Here's my take on how I would spend our limited draft capital this year. I'm hunting for players who can step in and play immediately (so that means drafting the 'lesser' positions), as well as looking at replacing players that are soon to leave (Ogbah).

Charbonnet would become our almost every down RB from day one. He's big and has nice hands, linebackers wouldn't like to see him catching the ball in space, he could run over or around them.
Morris is a big Edge type... like Ogbah. I've had him rated higher than most touts all year, he's a scheme fit.
Overshown is a former safety who would replace Baker eventually.
Dennis is a quality inside thumper who can cover and blitz (11 sacks this year). He isn't Parsons, but he's a solid shot late.
McClendon is a RT who could also play Guard.

Zach Charbonnet
RB | UCLA
Mike Morris
DL | Michigan
DeMarvion Overshown
LB | Texas
SirVocea Dennis
LB | Pittsburgh
Warren McClendon
OT | Georgia

I know... it's really early.

Your team building philosophy is only draft a RB with a premium pick once your OL has been fortified, right? If true, does the mock selection of Zach imply you see the Dolphins have reached that level?

Your team building philosophy is only draft a RB with a premium pick once your OL has been fortified, right? If true, does the mock selection of Zach imply you think the Dolphins have reached that level?
I think we are closer than most think.
Jackson was looking pretty good pre injury... McD was talking him up.
Hunt is better than league average. William's and Armstead are top 5-10.
If Eichenberg or Jones can step up to average, we're good... until injuries strike, but this year, even our reserves all got hurt. Shell... Little... Fisher... Lamm... it was scary.

I think we are closer than most think.
Jackson was looking pretty good pre injury... McD was talking him up.
Hunt is better than league average. William's and Armstead are top 5-10.
If Eichenberg or Jones can step up to average, we're good... until injuries strike, but this year, even our reserves all got hurt. Shell... Little... Fisher... Lamm... it was scary.
The fact that Miami improved line (from 32nd to 21st per PFF) performance despite all the injuries was a credit to Applebaum, Smith, and McDaniel. Plus, I thought the FO did an admirable job continuing to find plausible replacementsā€”even Lester Cotton!

The fact that Miami improved line (from 32nd to 21st per PFF) performance despite all the injuries was a credit to Applebaum, Smith, and McDaniel. Plus, I thought the FO did an admirable job continuing to find plausible replacementsā€”even Lester Cotton!
Yep... If Jackson is for real and Armstead plays 15 games, we oughta be golden.
And we've got 4 or 5 guys fighting over that last Guard spot. Last year, I predicted that we wouldn't draft a lineman and I was roundly belittled... I'm not ready to make this prediction yet, but I wont be surprised if we don't.

Back
Top Bottom