Well...since we missed out on almost all FA O-linemen | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Well...since we missed out on almost all FA O-linemen

There's enough talent in the FA o line pool right now to fill our needs but if they go another week and don't sign anyone we're really up the creek. If that happens, Wale might have to go so we can draft one of the top o lineman in the draft.

Originally posted by Barbarian

You Dont?!??!?!?!??

Look at the list again, it's full of clear upgrades.

The only spot on the line that has me concerned is Right Tackle, cuz Wade is going to be the hardest spot to replace since he didn't play like absolute crap last year (he was average... at best) which is more than can be said for the entire interior of the line.

You are sure right. Especially at RG, there are plenty of options available that would be a huge improvement.
For someone not to see clear upgrades still out there would indicate they are not really familiar to any great degree with the players listed

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
...I guess it's a lock that we go O-line in round one of the draft. Even if we get a solid player ther, you still have to look at our O-line and wonder if one of the worst O-lines in the NFL actually got WORSE. The bottom line is that we're going to be starting players who weren't even good enoug to beat out the shleps we had last season. That's a step down in anyones book.

I have to start agreeing with that since it doesn't look real good at OL so far. We had 3 big targets going in and apparently didn't move on them right. 1 and 2 got away while not setting the hook deep enough. It will do us little good to draft WR if we don't have a line good enough to allow enough protection for our "sharpshooter" sitting (actually, running around) back there! ;)

Originally posted by FinFan4Life814
wow, so many people are freaking out and saying our FO is a bunch of morons just cuz we didnt get Tait or Woody. Woody was a ?mark anyways cuz of his knee, and Tait didnt want to play for us...nothing we can do about that. Contrary to what some of y'all r sayin, theres plently of FA o-line talent left. All we need to do is sign Cosey Coleman or Ron Stone and Orlando Brown or another RT. I'd be fine with a line like that....much better then last yr's.

Kind of after the fact, yes? That wasn't mentioned this time last week was it? All that was talked about was how great it was that Woody is our 1st choice and how we're going to make the big push for him, yada yada. Funny thing how now since we wern't even close to him that all of a sudden, he ain't all that, has injury problems etc. Sometimes, i just wish folks would make up mY mind for me !! :lol:

Bottom line...are the guys still available better than the guys we let go? Possible, but I don't see any clear upgrades. So, if that's the case than we're bringing back an O-line that's just as bad as last seasons. So someone please explain to me how a stud WR in the 1st round helps when our QB is still going to be running for his life. I swear, some people would go out and buy brand new wiper blades to put on a broken windshield.

PREACH it, Reverend !!!

:allhail:

:D

What I find funny is the "shifting baseline" of some fans.

1) Hey, we could be GREAT with this guy...oh, he's gone?

2)Well, we can STILL be great with this OTHER guy...oh...he's gone too?

3)Well, THIS is the guy I REALLY wanted all along...um...gone huh?

4)Well, this kid that we groomed last season is PRIMED to come on STRONG, and I don't CARE if he wasn't good enough to beat out the guys that sucked last season!!

I swear, there are posters here who would proclaim the FO's greatness if we signed a one legged blindman.

What I find funny is the "shifting baseline" of some fans.

1) Hey, we could be GREAT with this guy...oh, he's gone?

2)Well, we can STILL be great with this OTHER guy...oh...he's gone too?

3)Well, THIS is the guy I REALLY wanted all along...um...gone huh?

4)Well, this kid that we groomed last season is PRIMED to come on STRONG, and I don't CARE if he wasn't good enough to beat out the guys that sucked last season!!

I swear, there are posters here who would proclaim the FO's greatness if we signed a one legged blindman.

No offense, but poo poo'in everything is just the opposite side of the coin you just described.

Oliver...

Originally posted by ohall

No offense, but poo poo'in everything is just the opposite side of the coin you just described.

Oliver...

Poo Pooing everything? I said that it was a good thing that we were rebuilding the O-line...I just had SOME expectation that we would be able to rebuild it better than it was before. And I never said a bad thing about AJ Feeley. In point of fact, I think that Feeley might be a great pick-up...assuming that he has any kind of O-line to play behind. But the ONE thing I've been calling for for TWO seasons is an effective O-line. That's IT. Because unless the O-line is rock solid, NOTHING else is going to matter. You want to talk QB, WR, and RB? If you're ranking them on a 1-10 scale, adjust those numbers 3 points either way depending on the quality of that O-line. Ricky behind last seasons O-line was probably a 6 out of 10. Put him behind the O-line of ANY of the Conference Championship teams and he's a 10...maybe 11. Same thing with whatever QB is starting and whatever WR we pick up. Behind the same O-line or worse, they'll never look any better than mediocre. Give them a GOOD O-line, and they'll look like the best thing we've seen since Marino. You want to call me Chicken Little? Fine and dandy. But the bottom line is that the ENTIRE offense starts with that O-line. Get Patrick Ramsey and Randy Moss to compliment Chambers and McMichael, and put them behind the O-line we have today. Not ONE of them will crack the top 15 players at their position. I would call this entire off season a success if we can come out of it with a GOOD O-line. And when all is said and done, I'll call it a complete failure if we don't. Nothing else matters. I'l sayy it again...if the O-line doesn't go into September as one of the top 15 units in the NFL, with room to grow into the top 6, than prepare for an 8-8 season or worse. NOTHING else that Speilman does will matter if that doesn't happen. If you think it does, you're deluding yourself.

Well...since we missed out on almost all FA O-linemen

We missed out on 3 that we targeted.. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DeDolfan

Kind of after the fact, yes? That wasn't mentioned this time last week was it? All that was talked about was how great it was that Woody is our 1st choice and how we're going to make the big push for him, yada yada. Funny thing how now since we wern't even close to him that all of a sudden, he ain't all that, has injury problems etc. Sometimes, i just wish folks would make up mY mind for me !! :lol:

Woody is a great player. a first rounder that lived up to his billing and no doubt we'd have been better with him on our team. But, Rick was not going to get into a limitless bidding war and when the price went above what he felt was the most we wanted to pay, he knew when to say when. Detriot's cap situation perhaps allowed them to set a higher limit. It was worth exploring and Rick went as far as he felt was worth it.
I don't know who said he was an injury risk. That is ludicrous. He had the knee injury last season that was so minor it did not require surgery.
That doesn't mean there aren't other guys who wouldn't be an upgrade over what we had last year. Maybe not as much of an improvement, but still an improvement to some degree.
The main thing with an OL, as I'm sure you will agree, is to find 5 good or better players, that can work well together as a unit.
That is what we should hope that Rick comes up with.

Signing one bigger name like Woody, would mean we may have not be able to address all our other needs in free agency. So it seems logical to look at the silver lining from not signing him, since there are pluses and minuses in any signing to varying degrees.
I like the fact that we should be able to get two above average OL red chip types, so to speak, for the cost of one blue chip player like Woody. So, what would be better? A guard tandem of Woody and the winner of the Whitley, Yates, Jerman competition, or a tandem of a guy like Jeno James and maybe a Cosey Coleman or Bobbie Williams? JJ and either of the two should add up to less than Woody, cost wise.

Since we're on the subject of OL UFAs lost...

I didn't like the idea of paying so much for Tait to begin with. But if that was what Rick felt was the best way to go, I'd have been glad to see how it played out. But, his family thought that the Chi-town environment fit them better for a place for he and his family to reside, than the South Florida one did, for several reasons I'm sure we could speculate on. But if it was something personal about the team and/or staff, why would Tait come down to begin with? He could have went to Chi first and just took their deal. Either them or us would be concerned more with putting forth a deal that KC would not match than what the other, between they and us, would be offering. I'm sure Tait, having been in the league for 5 years, knew enough about the team and coaches to be open to checking out the area, and I will not believe for a second that it was anything personal toward any members of our team that he chose Chicago.
I'm not saying you do, but that is my take on the Tait situation fwiw, and we are talking OL free agents I guess :)

Poo Pooing everything? I said that it was a good thing that we were rebuilding the O-line...I just had SOME expectation that we would be able to rebuild it better than it was before.

It is understandable that you'd have the expectation the OL could be rebult better than before, but free agency is just starting. Why not wait until we are at least starting the first mini camp, or better yet training camp, before we speculate that this years's line is or is not better? So far one of three positions has benn addressed and most observers feel we made a good choice with James. Let's see who Rick comes up with for the right side, before we say the line will not be any better.

1227..that last post of yours pretty was dead on correct. The good news is that I think w/ the FA's that are out there still...we can make the OL better then last year. Not in the top 5, but possible to be in the top 15 or thereabouts. Combine this w/ another WR and maybe a lucky late OL pick....we WILL be better on the O side of the ball next year.

Originally posted by ohall

Oliver...

I think what he's referring to is how fickle some of these fans are. Some of the very ones that were so enamored with the fact that the fO was going to go all out and get Woody, everyone was even joking about it and hOW they hopes ssssso much that we get him. Now, some of those same fans [after not even coming close to Woody at all] are just blowing it all off saying garbage like how smart rS was bu not signing an overrated injury prone lineman and the like. i don't get it either.

Originally posted by MrClean

Woody is a great player. a first rounder that lived up to his billing and no doubt we'd have been better with him on our team. But, Rick was not going to get into a limitless bidding war and when the price went above what he felt was the most we wanted to pay, he knew when to say when. Detriot's cap situation perhaps allowed them to set a higher limit. It was worth exploring and Rick went as far as he felt was worth it.
I don't know who said he was an injury risk. That is ludicrous. He had the knee injury last season that was so minor it did not require surgery.
That doesn't mean there aren't other guys who wouldn't be an upgrade over what we had last year. Maybe not as much of an improvement, but still an improvement to some degree.
The main thing with an OL, as I'm sure you will agree, is to find 5 good or better players, that can work well together as a unit.
That is what we should hope that Rick comes up with.

Signing one bigger name like Woody, would mean we may have not be able to address all our other needs in free agency. So it seems logical to look at the silver lining from not signing him, since there are pluses and minuses in any signing to varying degrees.
I like the fact that we should be able to get two above average OL red chip types, so to speak, for the cost of one blue chip player like Woody. So, what would be better? A guard tandem of Woody and the winner of the Whitley, Yates, Jerman competition, or a tandem of a guy like Jeno James and maybe a Cosey Coleman or Bobbie Williams? JJ and either of the two should add up to less than Woody, cost wise.

Since we're on the subject of OL UFAs lost...

I didn't like the idea of paying so much for Tait to begin with. But if that was what Rick felt was the best way to go, I'd have been glad to see how it played out. But, his family thought that the Chi-town environment fit them better for a place for he and his family to reside, than the South Florida one did, for several reasons I'm sure we could speculate on. But if it was something personal about the team and/or staff, why would Tait come down to begin with? He could have went to Chi first and just took their deal. Either them or us would be concerned more with putting forth a deal that KC would not match than what the other, between they and us, would be offering. I'm sure Tait, having been in the league for 5 years, knew enough about the team and coaches to be open to checking out the area, and I will not believe for a second that it was anything personal toward any members of our team that he chose Chicago.
I'm not saying you do, but that is my take on the Tait situation fwiw, and we are talking OL free agents I guess :)

I don't disagree with what you're saying. iMO, what more than likely ruined this deal was all the PR it got showing our great interest in him, thereby making other teams [Detroit] "more aware" of a pending serious offer. If the fO was truly serious about it, they should have kept a lid on it. At least woody may have come to town at least. it's not that the deal didn't get done that bothers me as much as HOW it didn't get done. this just smacks more and more of Wannstedt-style more and more to me.
Granted, i don't see Woody as injury prone either, but that it was just thrown in as another excuse by some others when we didn't get him.
But the Tait deal has me wondering about RS. Some say what we offered was the same as us. maybe so in total contract ##s but not in reality. IMO, RS did not use his head by how he offered it to tait. Apparently it was SO backloaded that KC could've/would've matched it in a heart beat and thus we'd lose out anyway. It's starting to look to me that how he does things is to have a deal on the table what he thinks we can afford and if we need 3, then the 1st 3 to sign gets it, no matter who, as long as they play the position. Well, not exactly, but you see what i mean tho?

Back
Top Bottom