Well some people are showing their true colors. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Well some people are showing their true colors.

for those who think he "doesnt owe anyone anything," i have a question: do you understand the meaning of the word contract or why they exist?

CharlestonPhan said:
for those who think he "doesnt owe anyone anything," i have a question: do you understand the meaning of the word contract or why they exist?

The dolphins as well as every other NFL team does what's in their best interest as do players. NO ONE expects the full contract to be played out as is, the team ALWAYS asks them to restructure, take a cut, or be cut. The player if he does well asks for more money.

As is, he left everything on the table. They are NOT paying him anymore, he will miss out on the money but htat's his choice. Contracts aren't the fimal word that's why teams backload them. Don't sit here and act like the Dolphins never screwed a player on a contract or cut him out. They do what's the best for them the player does what is the best for him. It's a BUSINESS.

screw you pal, i paid 150 bucks for my kid to get a autograph from that slob in may and he did this. now i had to spend a whole day explaining to him about responsibility and accountability, i hope ricky has to move out of miami

Bonedoc7777 said:
screw you pal, i paid 150 bucks for my kid to get a autograph from that slob in may and he did this. now i had to spend a whole day explaining to him about responsibility and accountability, i hope ricky has to move out of miami

Ahh, finally someone put this in the proper context. For Ricky what will he tell his children? Only do what makes you happy, screw responsibility to your job and to your family so long as you are happy.

I wish more ppl would stop enabling Ricky's actions. People like Ricky are allowed to do what they do because certain ppl give them all the room to act the way they do.

Oliver...

CharlestonPhan said:
Teams don't respect the contract and they ARE NOT guaranteed. Period. A team can BAIL on the contract anytime they want. They are designed with escalators such that they are never intended to be fulfilled in their entirety. They are designed to be broken -- by the team. There is no such thing as loyalty in this league and there is no binding 2-way contract. So what is your point? Do you understand the nature of NFL contracts and why they exist?

ohall said:
Ahh, finally someone put this in the proper context. For Ricky what will he tell his children? Only do what makes you happy, screw responsibility to your job and to your family so long as you are happy.

I wish more ppl would stop enabling Ricky's actions. People like Ricky are allowed to do what they do because certain ppl give them all the room to act the way they do.

Oliver...
"Enabling" his behavior? Someone has been reading too many self-help books without comprehension. Ricky and his fans cannot in any way be considered to have a "CO-DEPENDENT relationship." It isn't possible. Get a clue Sigmund...

ohall said:
You are providing a wealth of stupid remarks. I suppose Ricky has been a really poor provider for his family. How irresponsible of him to just makes tens of millions of dollars and die young (football players have a greatly reduced life expectancy), when he could make tens of millions more and die even younger. F--- happiness Ricky! This is about US not you.

I am sick to death of hearing these people that say Ricky did what was best for him and followed his heart. You know what the question was asked about ever playing sports because everyone has thought about quitting.....You know what I played sports for 13 years and yes I thought about quitting more times than I can count. But I didnt and you know why because I would not let down the 50 other players that counted on me, the 10 or so coaches that helped me to be the best that I could be, and the hundreds that came out to watch us play. When you join a team you owe it to your teammates to finish what you start, they work just as hard as you do and for you to walk out on them is just WRONG.

The Dolphins gave up so much to get him and paid him a salary that will provide for him and his family long after he is done playing. How does he repay them and all of the fans that stood behind Ricky when he was diagnosed with the social disorder ....by quiting, and not just quitting he waits until EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE REPLACEMENT IS GONE and then retires. I am not so much mad that he retired, I am mad because there seems to be a slight bit of malice behind it. If he has been thinking about this seriously for months, you think he could have shared that with the FO. If we knew that there was a real shot of this happening dont you think we might have added a RB some where either in FA or in the draft.

So to those who dont think that he owes anyone anything I would refer you to CK's prior post about the firm. It is the best analogy that I have heard thus far.

phinman1 said:
Lose the holier than thou attitude.
Exactly, he practically broke his arm patting himself on the back. :shakeno: There's nothing that pi$$es me off more than another guy telling me i'm less of a fan when i've said nothing against my team. :fire:

Fins2theend said:
I am sick to death of hearing these people that say Ricky did what was best for him and followed his heart.
Oooooh, doesn't that just piss you off?

:cool:

ohall said:

Oliver...

Ohall...I couldn't agree with you more.
I am more upset now at people defending Ricky's actions than at him. It's incomprehensible to me how people can disregard the importance of responsibility, loyalty and accountability.
Ricky made a mistake. His mistake was not that he decided to pursue his dreams (or "the truth" or whatever), it was that his decision came too late. Timing is important in this world. Two weeks notice doesn't apply to everyone at any job and at any level...it varies depending on the context. A person who takes accountability seriously (something everyone should) has to think of the consequences of their actions. Being that it's July, the proper thing to do was to acknowledge that you blew your chance to reach a timely decision and thus be accountable for your mistake....in this case, that is playing through the season at full speed.
I could care less about the contract he signed and I certainly don't think he owed us the fans anything. But to me, his actions were incredibly inconsiderate, and that truly pisses me off.

ohall said:

Oliver...

Who enables his actions? If you were talking about a player that's constantly beating raping etc. and getting caught but let off that hook you MAY have a point.

But this is a guy that just got tired of his job and quit. so what? Nobody' "enabled" that reaction, he didn't get it from years of special treatment. If you looked at what he's been saying it's that he's piss tired of the special treatment. he wants out. He wasn't "allowed" to do anything that you or I aren't allowed to do! Do people "enable" your actions?

The only thing that "enabled" his actions is that he's young and rich! He IS set for life whether some people see it or not. He spent months before this makign sure his MOM and his SISTERS were set (he's paying for their graduate school FYI) for life, and i'm damn sure he put consideration into his children. No they may not drive Ferrari's like other NFL player's kids, they may not go to France for the summer to walk on nude beaches but you can count on this. He'll be alive to see them marry and have children, they'll have college paid for and live more comfortable than you did while you were growing up, and their dad now has time to be around them.

How did he "screw his family"? I just don't understand that thinking at ALL. He WAS responsible. He played a sport he's disliked for YEARS making damn good money, he did it as long as he could put up with and then he called it quits. He took care of them THEN he took care of himself. Tell me if you were in a job you hated and your family was set for life YOU wouldn't leave too. :rolleyes:

Fins2theend said:
I am sick to death of hearing these people that say Ricky did what was best for him and followed his heart. You know what the question was asked about ever playing sports because everyone has thought about quitting.....You know what I played sports for 13 years and yes I thought about quitting more times than I can count. But I didnt and you know why because I would not let down the 50 other players that counted on me, the 10 or so coaches that helped me to be the best that I could be, and the hundreds that came out to watch us play. When you join a team you owe it to your teammates to finish what you start, they work just as hard as you do and for you to walk out on them is just WRONG.

The Dolphins gave up so much to get him and paid him a salary that will provide for him and his family long after he is done playing. How does he repay them and all of the fans that stood behind Ricky when he was diagnosed with the social disorder ....by quiting, and not just quitting he waits until EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE REPLACEMENT IS GONE and then retires. I am not so much mad that he retired, I am mad because there seems to be a slight bit of malice behind it. If he has been thinking about this seriously for months, you think he could have shared that with the FO. If we knew that there was a real shot of this happening dont you think we might have added a RB some where either in FA or in the draft.

So to those who dont think that he owes anyone anything I would refer you to CK's prior post about the firm. It is the best analogy that I have heard thus far.

So your a wealking that let's his actions be dictated by those of others? Think about what you just said "I wanted to quit a GAME but 50 other people didn't want me to quit so I stayed". That is NOT the makings of a happy life buddy...unless you DO like playing the game. At which point your probably in heaven doing what you enjoy. In which case your little analogy doesn't pertain to Ricky in the least. He didn't love the game, he did it anyway, he was hurting physically and would continue to hurt physically for it, and he just plum had enough.

I'm not romaniticizing it at all. I'm not saying "good for Ricky! Go be free man! Do what you want duuuude! you don't need anything other than a bag of hope and a cup full of love to enjoy life maaaan!". What I AM saying is he made a personal decision. He was somewhere that he wasn't happy, and that's something that not 50 other players with millions of fans can change. he made his bed now he'll lay in it. but it's absolutlely rediculous for people to sit here and ***** and moan about how dumb of a decision this is. FYI people this happens ALL THE TIME. 30 year old people with families quit GREAT jobs because their not happy. They go back to school and get their teachign degree to TEACH. I had a teacher that did just that. Gave up a 100k a year job at 32 to teach. Want to know WHY he did that? Because he was tired of being a chemist. He HAD money and didn't need to continue to MAKE money to provide for his family. On a whim he quit got the teaching job and never looked back. HE IS HAPPY DOING THIS NOW. Sometimes PEOPLE NEED A CHANGE. This guy worked for what? graduated at 22 got his masters so CONSERVATIVELY we'll say 8 years as a chemist (probably a lot more). Ricky has played football since he was what? Probably 12? maybe earlier? So he spent FIFTEEN YEARS playing a game that he grew to dislike, he's financially set, his family is fine so he LEFT. Just like THOUSANDS of american's do every fricking year.

People aren't taking into consideration the lifestyle that athletes live in. ALWAYS in the public eye, strict training regiments, strict diets, traveling during the season taking huge hits. They live a TOTALLY different life than us, it's a hell of a lot more micro managed. We ALL have a lifestyle his more so than us that dependso n his job. If he hates his job then he'll hate his lifestyle, and NO ONE wants to be doing something they hate.

It's not rocket science people.

Phinzone said:
Think about what you just said "I wanted to quit a GAME but 50 other people didn't want me to quit so I stayed". That is NOT the makings of a happy life buddy...unless you DO like playing the game. At which point your probably in heaven doing what you enjoy. In which case your little analogy doesn't pertain to Ricky in the least.

My analagy pertained to the fact that when I signed up I gave my word that I am going to be there for my teammates, the coaching staff, and to the fans. As did Ricky by signing the contract and participating in all of this seasons preseasons mini camps and so on. He didnt let anyone know, his team DEPENDED on him and he walked without warning. Not only that but he walked and then left the country, he is not only sorry for walking out on everyone he is a COWARD for not staying to deal with the ramifications of this decision.......Let me ask you a question when you have a decision that affects others in your life and some of them are your friends, wouldnt you at least consult with them before just walking out on them. But no he consulted with people that were completely uninvolved with the situation, and in Jim Browns case a little off his rocker. Brown was a great RB but nobody has ever accused him of being very normal.

I thought good for Ricky...

until it became crystal that it was all about the drugs and his inability to accept living within the law. And yes he owed me something. He owed The fins something. He sold stock in Ricky Williams Inc. and we all bought stock. Now he tells us it ain't worth the paper it's written on. He needs it to roll a spliff.

Back
Top Bottom