Wes Welker on Waddle | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wes Welker on Waddle

How quickly people forget.

Hill is more impactful than any other skill player in the league when he doesn’t get the ball.

When he does get the ball, nobody is more dynamic.

Cooper Kupp is a stud. No doubt. But so are Devante Adams, Deandre Hopkins, DK Metcalf, Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, and many others.

None of them impact and scare defenses the same as Tyreek Hill.

I‘d be far more happy if Waddle‘s path more closely resembled Hill than Kupp. So, no, I choose not forget the comparison to Hill.

Ted Ginn is NO Hill, I'm not even going to try to put them in the same league other than footspeed. But when we had Ted Ginn, even though he wasnt the stud we hoped, the other team HAD to keep one safety shaded over to respect his speed which opened it up for our other stud WRs like Hartline, Bess, Cammarilo. But also with the team having to respect Ginns speed, it opened up the running game because you cant keep 8 in the box if you have a guy that can go over the top at will.

Kupp is elite route runner who will almost always find a way to get open. that isnt Hill, Hill is just dangerous. But also what makes Hill more dynamic is the fact that teams have to respect that Maholmes can get the ball 65 yards down field to Hill. I know tua had the longest yards in air pass of the season, but if a WR gets 40+ yards downfield, most of the time the CB isnt gonna respect a laser over their shoulder like PM could throw.

But i really see McD having a lot of insight on the WR room, possibly just as much as welker. he only coached WR for 2 years, but his eyes sort of lit up in one of his interviews discussing "im going to teach the WR how to never get touched at the LOS"

'19 89% of overall snaps
'20 74% of overall snaps
'21 49% of overall snaps

Not a great trend there for DVP

well in theory, he's played in 85% of his games.....113 out of a possible 133

'15 48% of overall snaps (rookie year, 3rd wr)
'16 80% of overall snaps
'17 65% of overall snaps
'18 47% of overall snaps (this was the year he was begging gase to let him play)
'19 89% of overall snaps
'20 74% of overall snaps
'21 49% of overall snaps
career 65% (should been higher if not in Gases dog house and if you dont factor in rookie year in which he was the 4th receiver behind stills, landry, matthews)

but its like i mentioned yesterday...you can finagle stats for however you desire.

Right! Only posters on a mission would go to bat for D.Parker at this stage.

My only thing with all the coaches and their Waddle hype is.... you get guys like DVP, that are probably thinking, "**** this young mf'er, why aint they hyping me up too" yes i know we only have like 10 skill players on offense under contract, and 50% arent even a lock to make the team. And Waddle does deserve the hype, but if I'm DVP I'm thinking "oh yall aint gonna talk me up?"
If Waddle's teammates get jealous and pissy when he gets hyped up, something with the team dynamic is very off. And DVP has shown to be a good teammate over the years. The team will follow Waddle's hype, no one's trying to take out his knee caps.

My only thing with all the coaches and their Waddle hype is.... you get guys like DVP, that are probably thinking, "**** this young mf'er, why aint they hyping me up too" yes i know we only have like 10 skill players on offense under contract, and 50% arent even a lock to make the team. And Waddle does deserve the hype, but if I'm DVP I'm thinking "oh yall aint gonna talk me up?"
You can't hype DVP who barely makes a half season each year.

Right! Only posters on a mission would go to bat for D.Parker at this stage.

No i was just saying that this was the only year that his snap count really dropped due to injury. The year he was at 47% for Gase he was begging to play, with his teammates vouching he wasnt still injured.

DVP is what he is. a big body that can go up and get the ball, hes never gonna be an ALPHA, but no reason he cant just be a reliable wr.

You can't hype DVP who barely makes a half season each year.

and i would probably put his availability on the season at around 75-77%. The gase doghouse year ****ed up his percentage, but still at 65%, you gotta think about 5% of the offensive snaps would be short yardage, and probably another 5% where for breathers.

If Waddle's teammates get jealous and pissy when he gets hyped up, something with the team dynamic is very off. And DVP has shown to be a good teammate over the years. The team will follow Waddle's hype, no one's trying to take out his knee caps.

If you had a new manager come in, and bring a couple bosses in under him, and they were all above you... If they kept jerking off one of your coworkers to everyone that would listen, would you not think in your head or say 'Hey, ya know, i call in about 3 days a year but Ive proven that I'm useful to this company too"

Im not saying that Waddle isnt our ALPHA, he's deserved it, but most coaches you hear would say something like "we have a great group of wr, i cant wait to work with all of them" not along the lines of "i got a hard on for waddle, hes superman, oh wait? we have other wr's?"

Its no disrespect to waddle, no hyping up DVP, just trying to go over real world situations ive noticed

If I’m the guy coaching DVP I’m telling him to do something to get me hyped. Waddle was virtually uncoverable for a good 9 game stretch last year. I’m not even sure Parker suited up for 9 games.

If DVP thinks that he should blame the half blind Swarovski Crystal apprentice that made his bones.

I like Parker, think when healthy and in the right set of mind, he is almost impossible to cover by anyone.

But if he wants hype, then he needs to go to the person that is most responsible to getting him noticed... Himself.

Stay healthy, make plays game in and game out, and he won't be able to read any coach comments, that don't include him.

I like Parker, think when healthy and in the right set of mind, he is almost impossible to cover by anyone.

But if he wants hype, then he needs to go to the person that is most responsible to getting him noticed... Himself.

Stay healthy, make plays game in and game out, and he won't be able to read any coach comments, that don't include him.
oh i got exactly what you are saying. Im just saying, I dont feel like a new staff should single out a player in a position group.

I would never want to compare a rookie to a 7 year vet, especially at the WR position, but DVP is only 2 years removed from what should've been a pro bowl season.

DVP is much like Mike G, he is going to strive more in the gunslinger, throw it up system, compared to Tuas quick slant.. All i was saying is, we have another 1000 yard wr on the team.

As an employee if you are asked about an individual under you, sure get excited as **** and talk him up if hes that great. Maybe thats what Welker did. But if you are asked about your position group, you dont just say one player and ignore everyone else. you want to get the best out of someone, you have to stroke their ego a little.

"Man Waddle is electric and has speed, can be a real weapon. DVP just seems to go up and get everything around him when he's on the field, huge radius. Bowden, we saw in college he can do a little bit of everything, thats going to be fun to potentially have in this offense since we are going to try to create mismatches. We brought in Cracraft who we are familiar with, really good hardworker, also plays special teams which is always a plus for make the team. The fins havent had Hurns in a couple seasons, so we'll have to evaluate him some in practice. But he's made some big plays in this league and was a 1000 yard reciever last time he was the #1 guy, so we know there is talent there"

Boom, i just semi stroked 5 ****s in coaches speak that allowed me to also be excited about Waddle. and once again, havent seen full interview, welker might've talked the entire wr room, just twitter listed waddle

Last edited:
I think Waddle has a bright future, but being 5’10” and 180lbs (ish) is always going to limit him in particular areas. It’s great to study how guys like Kupp and Adams always get open in double or triple coverage despite lacking elite speed. However, they are both ~4” taller and ~30lbs heavier than Waddle which gives a physical aspect to their game he will more than likely never be able to reproduce. I understand the Hill comparisons, but Waddle has the potential to be a more complete WR than him while filling a similar role.
The size helps but, being shiftier, quick twitch receiver also benefits him in ways that bigger guys can't match. It's incumbent on him to utilize his strengths. Marvin Harrison was a similar size to Waddle and played in a much more dangerous time and had a HOF career, while rarely being injured.

no. He's not available. He's hardly been available for past 5 seasons. He always misses a lot of time. Sorry, he doesn't deserve it. I know he can't help being injury prone, but the biggest thing is availability. Waddle is a smaller guy, yet he didn't miss anytime. He also gets separation, whereas that's not really parker's fortes which can make things hard for a qb to always have to throw jump balls instead of throwing to a Wr in stride that gets open like Waddle

Ted Ginn is NO Hill, I'm not even going to try to put them in the same league other than footspeed. But when we had Ted Ginn, even though he wasnt the stud we hoped, the other team HAD to keep one safety shaded over to respect his speed which opened it up for our other stud WRs like Hartline, Bess, Cammarilo. But also with the team having to respect Ginns speed, it opened up the running game because you cant keep 8 in the box if you have a guy that can go over the top at will.

Kupp is elite route runner who will almost always find a way to get open. that isnt Hill, Hill is just dangerous. But also what makes Hill more dynamic is the fact that teams have to respect that Maholmes can get the ball 65 yards down field to Hill. I know tua had the longest yards in air pass of the season, but if a WR gets 40+ yards downfield, most of the time the CB isnt gonna respect a laser over their shoulder like PM could throw.

But i really see McD having a lot of insight on the WR room, possibly just as much as welker. he only coached WR for 2 years, but his eyes sort of lit up in one of his interviews discussing "im going to teach the WR how to never get touched at the LOS"
well db might not respect it, but then he'll get burned. Tua doesn't have a cannon but he's a good deep passer, he was quite good at that at bama.

Back
Top Bottom