Wetherford responds to allegations | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wetherford responds to allegations

dlockz

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news...r-will-weatherford-fires-back-at-miami/nXkCr/

The feedback from Miami-Dade was negative and there were concerns expressed by members on both sides of the aisle,” Weatherford said. “It’s not the fault of the Florida Legislature that Dolphins’ management failed to win legislative approval to force taxpayers to upgrade Sun Life Stadium after paying for a local referendum. Some would call that putting the cart before the horse.”

The part about starting early voting there made any sense

This link is from about a week ago.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nake...ime-for-miami-dolphins-everyone-else-too.html

The Dolphins never called us and asked: ‘How are we looking before we pay for it [the referendum]?’” said House Speaker Will Weatherford, whose chamber has stalled the legislation

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nake...dolphins-everyone-else-too.html#storylink=cpy

Also from article on Mayor
Gimenez required the referendum, which club executives had hoped to avoid.

Spin. Spin. Spin. Spin.

I dont think he is spinning that he made no promises to Dolphins because too many of his members w0uld know this info. Its spin on both sides but really it was stupid to start election on something that is waiting to be decided .

What a horrible explanation!!! I think he would have been better off keeping his mouth shut.

What a horrible explanation!!! I think he would have been better off keeping his mouth shut.

Not sure the explanation is so horrible, Alot of bills have this same fate.

This was already public knowledge.

An informal poll of 25 Miami-Dade County lawmakers (some have districts that extend beyond Miami-Dade) shows that the delegation is split over the Dolphins’ stadium, reflecting the political potency of the issue of sending taxpayer dollars to sports teams in South Florida. Uproar over the taxpayer-financed stadium for the Miami Marlins led to the recall of former Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Alvarez in 2011. “I like the Dolphins, I like the football team, but I don’t think it’s the best use of our public funds,” Rep. Carlos Trujillo, R-Miami, said last week before filing several amendments aimed at gutting the bill.

Trujillo’s amendments failed, but not before picking up votes from other Miami-Dade lawmakers, who called the deal “corporate welfare.”

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news...r-will-weatherford-fires-back-at-miami/nXkCr/

The feedback from Miami-Dade was negative and there were concerns expressed by members on both sides of the aisle,” Weatherford said. “It’s not the fault of the Florida Legislature that Dolphins’ management failed to win legislative approval to force taxpayers to upgrade Sun Life Stadium after paying for a local referendum. Some would call that putting the cart before the horse.”
[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Translation: Dolphins' management 'failed' to contribute to the right legislator(s) campaign fund :up:

Isnt the money supposed to come from a hotel tax? Is so wouldnt tourists be footing the bill and not local residents? Can somebody explain this better to me if i am offbase?

Translation: Dolphins' management 'failed' to contribute to the right legislator(s) campaign fund :up:

well they definately contributed to plenty of campaigns that supported bill

According to the Dolphins' side of things they had an overwhelming number of votes necessary to pass this through the House. I believe the number quoted was like 76 or something like that, votes they had in their pocket. So the speaker is essentially saying that the Dolphins failed to butter his bread and secure HIS vote, as the gate keeper to the whole process. But the Dolphins claim they even had that too, but that he reneged.

BS, he can't spin away he kept the vote from the ppl of Dade county. Shame on him.

According to the Dolphins' side of things they had an overwhelming number of votes necessary to pass this through the House. I believe the number quoted was like 76 or something like that, votes they had in their pocket. So the speaker is essentially saying that the Dolphins failed to butter his bread and secure HIS vote, as the gate keeper to the whole process. But the Dolphins claim they even had that too, but that he reneged.

He wanted the whole loaf buttered.

BS, he can't spin away he kept the vote from the ppl of Dade county. Shame on him.

The same thing happened with the MArlins vote in the house after the senate pushed forward. This is not the first bill this happened too. They can can try to get bill passed later.
Not anymore shame than any other politics in area. Ross never truly wanted a vote anyway, he got that part of his wish just not the handover part.

Well apparently they didnt and a report a few days ago was saying that he ddint have their vote but maybe in the back rooms who knows.
The most curious thing I heard was weatherford claimed him and marino talked about autism and not really about vote lol.

I would like to see public poll but the rebates were not part of the vote and may have been the bigger hold up who knows.

I was willing to give Weatherford a chance to explain his position, but his defense of his inaction is very lacking.

"I never promised".... I am sure he conveyed to Ross and Dee that he would "Do what he could"... or "Do his best" to get the bill voted upon. I doubt that Ross made him pinky promise that the bill would be voted upon.

"Other bills never came up for vote as well"....blah blah blah

He had the podium to give a true explanation of the situation. His lack of detail is very revealing to me.

nice of Will to get Braman's nuts out of his mouth long enough to speak

Back
Top Bottom