What Are Your Top 3 Disappointments And Top 3 Reasons For Optimism From This Season? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Are Your Top 3 Disappointments And Top 3 Reasons For Optimism From This Season?

I think he will be on board in the top 15 range.

He makes some great throws and others - not so much. Im not sure how he performs under lots of pressure either (rush).

He could be molded possibly- he will be pushed up the draft board I bet though-

And smythe is already a better player than gesicki. Shouldn’t take a bye week to figure that out.

That smythe lack of usage has been clown shoes.

Gesicki is actually ****ing killing us. 2 plays in that Colts game, the Fumble and on the almost INT intended for Gore he was the intended target and would have been wide open only he tripped over Caroo. He is killing us big time. Lterally killing plays all by himself.

Raekwon looked a tad bit more spry yesterday but he’s been a sloth most of the year with surprisingly questionable instincts. Seems like a SAM all day when I thought he would be the eventual MIKE when he was drafted. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because of the ACL return but meh.

I haven't watched every play of wry game this year but noticed something I haven't seen thus far. KikoA. looked to be getting the D calls from sideline and making the calls on the field instead of the MLB. Has this been happening all/most of season/games? If so, just another reason things don't look good for the future of McMillan. JMO.

Tankersley has been a disaster and Harris hasn’t shown us anything in 2 years. Malveaux and Woodard have shown more with less opportunity.

Just can’t happen to miss on these guys at the rate we miss on them at.

I meant to reply to this post.

I haven't watched every play/game this year but noticed something I haven't seen thus far. Looked like KikoA was getting D calls from sideline and making the calls on field. Has this been happening all season? If so just another reason why future of McMillan doesn't look promising. JMO.

The good-Knowing Fitz will be an NFL success, X, and Gore.

The bad-Tank is not who we thought he could be, Sitton injury, and Harris. He simply cannot turn that corner like we need him to.

The ugly- Head Coach Adam "Suck against Luck" Gases putrid play calling.

He makes some great throws and others - not so much. Im not sure how he performs under lots of pressure either (rush).

He could be molded possibly- he will be pushed up the draft board I bet though-

I agree, I think once he works out he will fly up the draft.

Gesicki is actually ****ing killing us. 2 plays in that Colts game, the Fumble and on the almost INT intended for Gore he was the intended target and would have been wide open only he tripped over Caroo. He is killing us big time. Lterally killing plays all by himself.

Been doing it all season. They’ve just cut down on his opportunities snaps wise to screw up of late.

I’m amazed that dudes not on ir yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only positives I have seen are Albert Wilson, Minkah, X, Tunsil, Baker, and Smythe. Jakeem would be up here but Gase has literally no idea how to use him. Drake is good but inconsistent.

Good list. We have desperately needed guys with special traits. Wilson was a revelation because anything can go 80. Tunsil is not a surprise to make a list like this, based on the obvious athletic ability at Mississippi. His 2017 struggles are more shocking than anything that happened this season. Howard continues to take the ball away. That changes games.

I am not as high on Fitzpatrick until likewise he starts running the other way with the ball in his hands. The caliber of quarterbacking and the rules now in play only allow coverage ability to do so much. Fitzpatrick needs to get his head around and grab the ball. Otherwise there will be disappointing outings and opponents willing to isolate him.

One year closer to the end of the Tannehill era is always a positive.

Negatives would be Gase's erratic and often senseless play calling. Throw the ball at the safety's head. One of your receivers might get in the way and pluck it. That simple alteration would be preferable to all this horizontal garbage.

I wanted Goedert above Gesicki, but was willing to look at Gesicki. There isn't much to look at.

Quinn looked like he might be able to dictate games off the edge. That hasn't panned out and is a big disappointment. The pass rush can't be random. You have to know who your most dangerous guy is, and the opponent has to know it. Easiest way to shore up the lousy road pass defense is to terrorize the quarterback.

There's already talks of him potentially being the 1st qb taken, scouts like his ceiling.

Very possible. Ohio State didn't even know what to do with Haskins for most of the year. The offense was built around J.T. "Little Game" Barrett for 7 or 8 years, and Barrett couldn't throw the ball downfield at all. Now it's a huge transition to a kid who actually threatens defenses downfield. Early in the season I thought there was far too much Barrett garbage still in the system.

If you're going to take a quarterback very high in a year like this when not many guys entered the season highly rated, far preferable to do it with someone who has not demonstrated mediocrity year after year and now after an uptick season you're trying to rationalize that maybe he's not as mediocre as we always believed. With Haskins it can be viewed as taking advantage of an Urban Meyer mistake. Haskins no doubt would have been considerably higher regarded entering 2018 if Meyer hadn't been so reluctant to bench his beloved Little Game.

Haskins has a little bit of a funny delivery but I wouldn't call it a weakness. He had too much mustard on the ball on short darts early season like against Oregon State, but that has shown signs of improvement and should continue to improve as he learns to relax. He is well spoken and sharp. Last year for all the improvement Lamar Jackson displayed it was difficult to ignore how simplistic he came across in interviews, and that also translated to his Wonderlic score. If you read articles about last week's Michigan game, Haskins says he studied the Wolverine defense all week to the point he knew exactly what to expect, and took advantage of that as the tendencies played out.

If he declares there might not be anyone taken above him. Ohio State has tons of talent. When they look bad once or twice per season everyone wants to overreact and ignore how stacked that roster is, and how well Urban Meyer fares in championship type games when his quarterbacking is competent. I still can't believe he stuck with Barrett for so long, essentially sacrificing seasons with mega talented rosters.

Very possible. Ohio State didn't even know what to do with Haskins for most of the year. The offense was built around J.T. "Little Game" Barrett for 7 or 8 years, and Barrett couldn't throw the ball downfield at all. Now it's a huge transition to a kid who actually threatens defenses downfield. Early in the season I thought there was far too much Barrett garbage still in the system.

If you're going to take a quarterback very high in a year like this when not many guys entered the season highly rated, far preferable to do it with someone who has not demonstrated mediocrity year after year and now after an uptick season you're trying to rationalize that maybe he's not as mediocre as we always believed. With Haskins it can be viewed as taking advantage of an Urban Meyer mistake. Haskins no doubt would have been considerably higher regarded entering 2018 if Meyer hadn't been so reluctant to bench his beloved Little Game.

Haskins has a little bit of a funny delivery but I wouldn't call it a weakness. He had too much mustard on the ball on short darts early season like against Oregon State, but that has shown signs of improvement and should continue to improve as he learns to relax. He is well spoken and sharp. Last year for all the improvement Lamar Jackson displayed it was difficult to ignore how simplistic he came across in interviews, and that also translated to his Wonderlic score. If you read articles about last week's Michigan game, Haskins says he studied the Wolverine defense all week to the point he knew exactly what to expect, and took advantage of that as the tendencies played out.

If he declares there might not be anyone taken above him. Ohio State has tons of talent. When they look bad once or twice per season everyone wants to overreact and ignore how stacked that roster is, and how well Urban Meyer fares in championship type games when his quarterbacking is competent. I still can't believe he stuck with Barrett for so long, essentially sacrificing seasons with mega talented rosters.

Haskins does have inconsistent throwing mechanics,( watch Purdue game) he doesn't have a compact throwing motion, its very loose and the power comes from his wrist and elbow. Lamar sounds and looks like he's missing some chromosomes. Haskins is like a big ball of clay, has limited experience and he has the brains to be molded the right way. The Ohio state spread, the playmakers he has at wrs and his throwing mechanics make him a hard read for me tho.

Optimistic:

• Younger players who have stepped up their level of play this (Xavien, Tunsil, Minkah, DTs, etc)
  • New additions that I expected to fail but have exceeded my expectations (Wilson, Gore, Amendola)
  • Special teams have actually been a lot better then I expected (kudos to Hawk, Sanders, Grant, Aikens)

Disappointments:

• Coaching and their over commitment to the systems has so far been my #1 frustration all year. We absolutely refuse to adapt. Hate to mention NE but one reason they are so successful is because they look at their available personnel each week and game plan to their strengths (WRs hurt = run ball and play 2 TE sets). Meanwhile we continue to pound square pegs into round holes and expect the same level of production we had in Week 1. When you refuse to evolve you eventually go extinct and apparently Coach Gase is not a huge believer in "Darwinism".
  • Veterans that have checked out this year. Safety play has been a shocking disappointment. Not sure if Parker could even stay healthy in the WNFL? Edge rushers just haven't produced enough this year which could be a combination of age and scheme.
  • Tannehill's return has unfortunately been a disappointment but I'll continue rooting for the guy to finish strong. QBs behind Tanny are garbage so we have nothing to lose by taking a chance in the draft - always scared they might overreach on another "Cutler" though.
  • Injuries have derailed yet another season. Where do we even begin? Combine these injuries with our stubbornness towards change... we can expect the same results for the remainder.

Back
Top Bottom