What do we even have in Minkah? Was he ever a leader? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do we even have in Minkah? Was he ever a leader?

broccoli rob

Active Roster
Reaction score
I was looking back over Minkah's draft profiles, all of which rant & rave over his versatility, however this thread is more about leadership.
Fitzpatrick has experience as a slot cornerback, but will likely be targeted as a "do-everything" safety who can be deployed as a sub-package linebacker, a blitzer or in the slot against big receivers and move tight ends. Fitzpatrick has consistently shined since his freshman season on Alabama defenses that have been loaded with NFL talent. His versatility, football character and desire to succeed should make him an early starter. - Lance Zierlein
Whoever selects Minkah Fitzpatrick will get a player who can play all over the field in the secondary. He is fast enough and rangy enough to cover the deep middle of the field as a safety, he is twitchy enough to make plays in shorter zones, and is could very easily move to the outside and play corner in the NFL. This flexibility isn’t just a function of his physical gifts either, he is a smart football player who learns quickly and can be prepared to play multiple roles in the same set of downs or on the same drive.

Day One on FH, Minkah was crowned not only a potential All Pro, but a leader of men.

In his time in Miami, what leadership qualities has Minkah shown? He lets his mom fight his battles for him on twitter, then he backs up her up to the media, his body language is terrible as he's been sulking around the team for quite some time now, he was never named captain by his peers. All we've seen from Minkah (besides mistakes on the field) is that he cries when he is asked to handle multiple positions (again, I thought versatility was a strength of his). Now there were obviously serious issues in the secondary Week 1, lets assume it was 100% the coaches fault (it wasn't). How does the kid handle one frustrating, bad game with a completely new defense? He cries to his agent (i'm sure mommy was first) and demands a trade. After ONE game into his second professional season. Unprecedented behavior.

If Charles Harris did this last year, this board would be endlessly goofing on him for being a bust, overrated, immature, weak, etc. But because Minkah was Saban's pet in Alabama, he can't possibly be any of these things.. Can he?

This kid has been blown up to epic proportions on FH (the Derwin James comparisons :rolleyes:). Due to the very knowledgeable Alabama posters we have on this board, we had a lot of encouraging info early on Minkah. I'll admit, I was pretty excited to bring in a young mature leader with so much versatility. But did we get any of that?

In fact, what return has Miami received in terms of leadership, or even maturity from any of our recent Alabama selections? Kenyan Drake, who by all accounts is another one currently crying to his agent and was upset last year too. Let's not forget, Drake was planning to demand a trade if Gase stayed last year. Now, Drake has found new reason to look for a trade. His list of reasons for a trade is almost as long as the list of coaches who don't trust him as a workhorse back. Note that Kenyan is also crying about misuse, but he is not the elite RB he thinks he is. He's always been a change of pace back, he'll always be one. For quite some time, the media has alluded to behind the scenes character issues with Kenyan and it makes a lot of sense. No one loves some Drake like Drake. It isn't possible we're seeing some of this unfold with Minkah?

We have two unhappy, self absorbed, underachievers who were gifted (did not earn) medals in leadership and maturity, because they came from Alabama. And now because these two clowns are both crying for a trade due to "misuse", we are supposed to believe the climate has instantly become exponentially worse in Miami. Now, the narrative is that Tua will refuse to come to Miami. Why, because we upset a 3rd round change of pace RB2 who thinks he's LeVeon Bell? Or is it because Minkah, Mr. Versatile, is upset that he had to show a little versatility on a rebuilding team that he is supposed to be a leader of? Who are Minkah and Drake to have any influence on anyone, in anything at all, much less the first pick in the 2020 draft? So far, their career highlight is the fact that they went to Alabama.

If what TedSlimm said (and I believe him) is even remotely accurate about Tua now rejecting Miami because Minkah and Drake are upset, that would make Tua by far the biggest Alabama baby the Dolphins have been involved with.

These are today's leaders lol. I cringe at the thought of how entitled these kids will be 10 years from now, it will be impossible for anyone but 3 teams to field a roster.

Last edited:
Flores will figure it out, have faith.

As for Minkah being “moved”, I am pretty confident that we will put him into his natural position by seasons end

Flores will figure it out, have faith.

As for Minkah being “moved”, I am pretty confident that we will put him into his natural position by seasons end

I bet he’s inactive on Sunday, maybe even longer if he isn’t moved. You can’t have players acting like whiny little bitches trying to force the team’s hand into doing what he wants.

I was looking back over Minkah's draft profiles, all of which rant & rave over his versatility, however this thread is more about leadership.

Day One on FH, Minkah was crowned not only a potential All Pro, but a leader of men.

In his time in Miami, what leadership qualities has Minkah shown? He lets his mom fight his battles for him on twitter, then he backs up her up to the media, his body language is terrible as he's been sulking around the team for quite some time now, he was never named captain by his peers. All we've seen from Minkah (besides mistakes on the field) is that he cries when he is asked to handle multiple positions (again, I thought versatility was a strength of his). Now there were obviously serious issues in the secondary Week 1, lets assume it was 100% the coaches fault (it wasn't). How does the kid handle one frustrating, bad game with a new team? He cries to his agent (i'm sure mommy was first) and demands a trade. After ONE game into his second professional season. Unprecedented behavior.

If Charles Harris did this last year, this board would be endlessly goofing on him for being a bust, overrated, immature, weak, etc. But because Minkah was Saban's pet in Alabama, he can't possibly be any of these things.. Can he?

This kid has been blown up to epic proportions on FH (the Derwin James comparisons :rolleyes:). Due to the very knowledgeable Alabama posters we have on this board, we had a lot of encouraging info early on Minkah. I'll admit, I was pretty excited to bring in a young mature leader with so much versatility. But did we get any of that?

In fact, what return has Miami received in terms of leadership, or even maturity from any of our recent Alabama selections? Kenyan Drake, who by all accounts is another one currently crying to his agent and was upset last year too. Let's not forget, Drake was planning to demand a trade if Gase stayed last year. Now, Drake has found new reason to look for a trade. His list of reasons for a trade is almost as long as the list of coaches who don't trust him as a workhorse back. Note that Kenyan is also crying about misuse, but he is not the elite RB he thinks he is. He's always been a change of pace back, he'll always be one. For quite some time, the media has alluded to behind the scenes character issues with Kenyan and it makes a lot of sense. No one loves some Drake like Drake. It isn't possible we're seeing some of this unfold with Minkah?

We have two unhappy, self absorbed underachievers who were gifted (did not earn) medals in leadership and maturity, because they came from Alabama. And now because these two clowns are both crying for a trade due to "misuse", we are supposed to believe the climate has instantly become exponentially worse in Miami. Now, the narrative is that Tua will refuse to come to Miami. Why, because we upset a 3rd round change of pace RB2 who thinks he's LeVeon Bell? Or is it because Minkah, Mr. Versatile, is upset that he had to show a little versatility on the rebuilding team that he is supposed to be a leader of? Who are Minkah and Drake to have any influence on anyone, in anything at all, much less the first pick in the 2020 draft? So far, their career highlight is the fact that they went to Alabama.

If what TedSlimm said (and I believe him) is even remotely accurate about Tua now rejecting Miami because Minkah and Drake are upset, that would make Tua by far the biggest Alabama baby the Dolphins have been involved with.

These are today's leaders lol. I cringe at the thought of how entitled these kids will be 10 years from now, it will be impossible for anyone but 3 teams to field a roster.
Minkah asked for a trade?

News to me. Link?

It's funny how we've made him what those quotes say he is and he's bitching about it.

I know! If you want a good laugh, go through these (https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/4...trick-draft-profile-2018-what-they-are-saying). You'd think Minkah would be in HEAVEN with what the Dolphins are doing.

Perhaps more importantly, he is a natural leader and is very smart with a great understanding of different defensive schemes. On almost every play, Fitzpatrick can be seen directing players on the Alabama defense and changing plays. While he has the versatility to play just about every position in the secondary, he has the skillset to thrive at free safety.

Could you imagine if Minkah had to deal with what Josh Rosen is going through right now? He'd be crawling right back up under Mommy's dress.

His natural position is the womb
Minkah asked for a trade?

News to me. Link?
its real, read through this disaster of a thread if you dare

EDIT: I happened to stumble on the tweet

OK, so your argument is Minkah is a leader? Not quite sure what you meant, but I think you missed my point. We were sold a bill of goods.
I'm not arguing and we didn't buy anything. We did our homework, scouted, researched and chose him to be a standout defensive player until his rookie contract is up.

Minkah Fitzpatrick definitely was a leader. He led at Alabama and started to lead here in Miami. But now he's a frustrated, underperforming thoroughbred who feels he is being set up to fail, and playing for his first team ever that wants to fail, and he's reached a low in his motivation. But, eventually when he realizes that the people in his locker room are giving up hope and giving in to despair, I have hope/confidence that Fitzpatrick will be one of the souls that rises above the fray and lets them all know they're playing for their careers, and that the fallout in the offseason will definitely include a massive roster turnover. If those who get away from Miami are honest, many/most of them will not land on another NFL team … ever. So when there's a time to give the "Sparta speech," Minkah Fitzpatrick is one of the leaders who can give it.

We might not see it at all this year, we may have to wait until next year. I hope not, but I do hope we eventually see it from Minkah Fitzpatrick, because he is one of the few who have the ability to be that leader.

Minkah Fitzpatrick definitely was a leader. He led at Alabama and started to lead here in Miami. But now he's a frustrated, underperforming thoroughbred who feels he is being set up to fail, and playing for his first team ever that wants to fail, and he's reached a low in his motivation. But, eventually when he realizes that the people in his locker room are giving up hope and giving in to despair, I have hope/confidence that Fitzpatrick will be one of the souls that rises above the fray and lets them all know they're playing for their careers, and that the fallout in the offseason will definitely include a massive roster turnover. If those who get away from Miami are honest, many/most of them will not land on another NFL team … ever. So when there's a time to give the "Sparta speech," Minkah Fitzpatrick is one of the leaders who can give it.

We might not see it at all this year, we may have to wait until next year. I hope not, but I do hope we eventually see it from Minkah Fitzpatrick, because he is one of the few who have the ability to be that leader.
Wouldn't a true leader use this exact time to be that leader?

Back
Top Bottom