What do we even have in Minkah? Was he ever a leader? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do we even have in Minkah? Was he ever a leader?

I'm not arguing and we didn't buy anything. We did our homework, scouted, researched and chose him to be a standout defensive player until his rookie contract is up.

I meant as your position/take, not that we were arguing. I don't think Minkah was a bad selection at that spot.

I am just surprised by the amount of weight given to Minkah on this board and in the media. If Minkah wants out, then it MUST be a circus here. All I am saying is maybe Minkah is still a bit of a child and not quite everything we thought he would be.

We chose him to be a standout player, he hasn't been, and he is bailing in Season 2, Game 2. We can spin misuse til we are blue in the face, every single draft profile of this kid highlighted his versatility and his character, now you're telling me he can't make it through 2 games in a new defense? That isn't a standout. That isn't versatile. That isn't a leader.

And I would seriously hope he wasn't drafted with the mindset of letting him walk after his rookie contract, I am pretty sure he was drafted with the intent of him become a leader and a cornerstone of the defense.... for a little more than his rookie contract.

I was looking back over Minkah's draft profiles, all of which rant & rave over his versatility, however this thread is more about leadership.

Day One on FH, Minkah was crowned not only a potential All Pro, but a leader of men.

In his time in Miami, what leadership qualities has Minkah shown? He lets his mom fight his battles for him on twitter, then he backs up her up to the media, his body language is terrible as he's been sulking around the team for quite some time now, he was never named captain by his peers. All we've seen from Minkah (besides mistakes on the field) is that he cries when he is asked to handle multiple positions (again, I thought versatility was a strength of his). Now there were obviously serious issues in the secondary Week 1, lets assume it was 100% the coaches fault (it wasn't). How does the kid handle one frustrating, bad game with a completely new defense? He cries to his agent (i'm sure mommy was first) and demands a trade. After ONE game into his second professional season. Unprecedented behavior.

If Charles Harris did this last year, this board would be endlessly goofing on him for being a bust, overrated, immature, weak, etc. But because Minkah was Saban's pet in Alabama, he can't possibly be any of these things.. Can he?

This kid has been blown up to epic proportions on FH (the Derwin James comparisons :rolleyes:). Due to the very knowledgeable Alabama posters we have on this board, we had a lot of encouraging info early on Minkah. I'll admit, I was pretty excited to bring in a young mature leader with so much versatility. But did we get any of that?

In fact, what return has Miami received in terms of leadership, or even maturity from any of our recent Alabama selections? Kenyan Drake, who by all accounts is another one currently crying to his agent and was upset last year too. Let's not forget, Drake was planning to demand a trade if Gase stayed last year. Now, Drake has found new reason to look for a trade. His list of reasons for a trade is almost as long as the list of coaches who don't trust him as a workhorse back. Note that Kenyan is also crying about misuse, but he is not the elite RB he thinks he is. He's always been a change of pace back, he'll always be one. For quite some time, the media has alluded to behind the scenes character issues with Kenyan and it makes a lot of sense. No one loves some Drake like Drake. It isn't possible we're seeing some of this unfold with Minkah?

We have two unhappy, self absorbed, underachievers who were gifted (did not earn) medals in leadership and maturity, because they came from Alabama. And now because these two clowns are both crying for a trade due to "misuse", we are supposed to believe the climate has instantly become exponentially worse in Miami. Now, the narrative is that Tua will refuse to come to Miami. Why, because we upset a 3rd round change of pace RB2 who thinks he's LeVeon Bell? Or is it because Minkah, Mr. Versatile, is upset that he had to show a little versatility on a rebuilding team that he is supposed to be a leader of? Who are Minkah and Drake to have any influence on anyone, in anything at all, much less the first pick in the 2020 draft? So far, their career highlight is the fact that they went to Alabama.

If what TedSlimm said (and I believe him) is even remotely accurate about Tua now rejecting Miami because Minkah and Drake are upset, that would make Tua by far the biggest Alabama baby the Dolphins have been involved with.

These are today's leaders lol. I cringe at the thought of how entitled these kids will be 10 years from now, it will be impossible for anyone but 3 teams to field a roster.

If you honestly blame only Minkah Fitzpatrick I don't know what to tell you. You have to hold the guys who drafted him accountable also.

The only winning culture people like Grier can build is having all their players want to be traded to winners.

But I completely agree with you in regards to the entitlement aspect of today's players. I see a tremendous difference in the type of players coming into the program now versus 10 or 12 years ago when Saban first got here. There ain't many Julio Jones anymore.

But this is what people wanted. This is what they got.

Minkah Fitzpatrick definitely was a leader. He led at Alabama and started to lead here in Miami. But now he's a frustrated, underperforming thoroughbred who feels he is being set up to fail, and playing for his first team ever that wants to fail, and he's reached a low in his motivation. But, eventually when he realizes that the people in his locker room are giving up hope and giving in to despair, I have hope/confidence that Fitzpatrick will be one of the souls that rises above the fray and lets them all know they're playing for their careers, and that the fallout in the offseason will definitely include a massive roster turnover. If those who get away from Miami are honest, many/most of them will not land on another NFL team … ever. So when there's a time to give the "Sparta speech," Minkah Fitzpatrick is one of the leaders who can give it.

We might not see it at all this year, we may have to wait until next year. I hope not, but I do hope we eventually see it from Minkah Fitzpatrick, because he is one of the few who have the ability to be that leader.

I specifically said in Miami. Alabama aside, Minkah Fitzpatrick has not shown leadership qualities in Miami. What have we seen from Minkah in Miami other than frustration with being asked to show versatility? I agree with your posts 99.9999% of the time, but with all due respect, this sounds like more coddling and excuse making for the kid.

A frustrated, underperforming, low motivated thoroughbred just waiting to his "Sparta" speech to become a leader. lol come on, man.

If Minkah is frustrated for being set up to fail, Rosen should really be getting on the phone with his agent.

I meant as your position/take, not that we were arguing. I don't think Minkah was a bad selection at that spot.

I am just surprised by the amount of weight given to Minkah on this board and in the media. If Minkah wants out, then it MUST be a circus here. All I am saying is maybe Minkah is still a bit of a child and not quite everything we thought he would be.

We chose him to be a standout player, he hasn't been, and he is bailing in Season 2, Game 2. We can spin misuse til we are blue in the face, every single draft profile of this kid highlighted his versatility and his character, now you're telling me he can't make it through 2 games in a new defense? That isn't a standout. That isn't versatile. That isn't a leader.

And I would seriously hope he wasn't drafted with the mindset of letting him walk after his rookie contract, I am pretty sure he was drafted with the intent of him become a leader and a cornerstone of the defense.... for a little more than his rookie contract.
My take is this team is a circus. This isn't a typical bad team that players have hope it will get better. This is a straight tanking and I fully understand if players don't want to sit around here for 2-4 years standing at attention while the Dolphins search for that miracle qb hope. This isn't a NFL rebuild, not talking about Minkah specifically, but how do you expect players to feel they were chosen to come here and be terrible? Sure they are getting paid but this roster is a mockery to the entire football world outside of Miami.

Minkah wants off this Titanic...

Any player with any talent/value should want the same. Next season, the FA contract value of any player on the Dolphins is going to be at least 3/4 their worth. The sad part is that the dummies who get resigned will be resigned for less than that because the Phins will be their last chance at a check.

I'd lay odds that if Howard wasn't extended, he'd be one of the loudest voices in the room.

I mean if we choose McCain over minkah for FS were idiots. I'd want out too. I hopr the fire gets put out but minkah is a free safety. McCain should be a specials tamer.

My take is this team is a circus. This isn't a typical bad team that players have hope it will get better. This is a straight tanking and I fully understand if players don't want to sit around here for 2-4 years standing at attention while the Dolphins search for that miracle qb hope. This isn't a NFL rebuild, not talking about Minkah specifically, but how do you expect players to feel they were chosen to come here and be terrible? Sure they are getting paid but this roster is a mockery to the entire football world outside of Miami.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this roster has been a mockery to the entire NFL for the past decade.

"No one wants to come to Miami because of [insert name/reason here]" has been the story for 15 years. Now that it can't be Tannehill anymore, it's the bad roster. Our defense was abysmal last year.

With the picks and money they have, if they get it 60% right, in this offseason the roster will look more attractive than it has in quite some time due to getting rid of all the bad contracts, hopefully some young players who wont quit on us for being asked to be versatile, maybe a couple of nice FAs, hopefully a QB that isn't a sissy.

It was no problem for Baker Mayfield to go to Cleveland and turn them into a respectable franchise and they've been quite the dumpster fire. Hopefully whichever QB Miami targets in the upcoming draft has a pair between his legs.

Minkah wants off this Titanic...

Any player with any talent/value should want the same. Next season, the FA contract value of any player on the Dolphins is going to be at least 3/4 their worth. The sad part is that the dummies who get resigned will be resigned for less than that because the Phins will be their last chance at a check.

I'd lay odds that if Howard wasn't extended, he'd be one of the loudest voices in the room.

Exactly. I question the intelligence and leadership of any imbecile that's too clueless to look around and not want out.

The Dolphins are an absolute disaster. Not the untalented or overrated players. I'm talking about the Dolphins.

Minkah knows he has a brighter future than the Dolphins. It's hard to blame him for at least seeking a trade and trying to work something out that's fair for both sides.

Wouldn't a true leader use this exact time to be that leader?
Young men going through difficult times for the first time don't always instantly rise to the occasion. Most people never do, and most people can't become leaders without help. I'm just saying that Minkah Fitzpatrick has the qualities to be a good leader … and I'm hoping it happens sooner rather than later. What an outside observer with zero consequences for Fitzpatrick's actions thinks is the best time for him to do this … doesn't really factor into the equation. You and I are not Minkah. We can't even fully empathize with what he's going through, nor did we live his life thus far. But before Minkah Fitzpatrick retires I'm confident that he will be viewed by history as a leader. I'm just hoping it happens in Miami with the Dolphins and happens sooner rather than later.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this roster has been a mockery to the entire NFL for the past decade.

"No one wants to come to Miami because of [insert name/reason here]" has been the story for 15 years. Now that it can't be Tannehill anymore, it's the bad roster. Our defense was abysmal last year.

With the picks and money they have, if they get it 60% right, in this offseason the roster will look more attractive than it has in quite some time due to getting rid of all the bad contracts, hopefully some young players who wont quit on us for being asked to be versatile, maybe a couple of nice FAs, hopefully a QB that isn't a sissy.

It was no problem for Baker Mayfield to go to Cleveland and turn them into a respectable franchise and they've been quite the dumpster fire. Hopefully whichever QB Miami targets in the upcoming draft has a pair between his legs.

Its gonna be hard to build the team when we cant get guys to finish out their rookie deals.

Flores needs to find a way to make this team more competitive.

If you honestly blame only Minkah Fitzpatrick I don't know what to tell you. You have to hold the guys who drafted him accountable also.

The only winning culture people like Grier can build is having all their players want to be traded to winners.

But I completely agree with you in regards to the entitlement aspect of today's players. I see a tremendous difference in the type of players coming into the program now versus 10 or 12 years ago when Saban first got here. There ain't many Julio Jones anymore.

But this is what people wanted. This is what they got.

I don't blame only Minkah & I was happy with the pick when it was made.

But at what point does the unchecked praise for his versatility and leadership stop? Shouldn't it be tempered, at the very least? lol

It feels a little like when Gase left and everyone was praising the Jets for bringing in a QB guru.

Back
Top Bottom