What do you guys think? Is this tank unethical? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do you guys think? Is this tank unethical?

Dolphins unethical?

• Total voters
Of course it's unethical. However, you often have to be unethical to win when everyone else is also being unethical.

For instance, the Patriots, in addition to outright cheating, circumvent the salary cap by contracting with Tom Brady's friends, associates, and even his corporate holdings to offset a lower 'on the books' contract payout.

I don't care if it's unethical or not....Here's what i do know...It's going to be a rough couple of years..really embarrassing years...
so..when we are thru this...They better have done it right?
I don't want a just a ok team...I want a perennial powerhouse...a decade at least of ..not wondering about going to
the playoffs,but how far we go in the playoffs..every year....I want what the Pat's have had...period.

Last edited:
This is a really poor argument.

They charged regular ticket prices in 2007, when they went 1-15 and were one boneheaded decision by Brian Billick from going 0-16.
They charged regular ticket prices in 2004, when they went 4-12.
They charged regular ticket prices in 2006, 2011, 2015 and 2017, when they went 6-10.
They charged regular ticket prices in 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2018, when they went 7-9.

Were you on this board crying for Argentina during any or all of those seasons?

Is charging regular ticket prices somehow different and acceptable when the FO is trying really, really hard to field a competent team but just can't do it because they are really, really inept?

In each and every one of the seasons above, the players and coaches were trying as hard as they could to win. This season is no different.
The only difference this season is that the FO has realized that 6-10 and 7-9 records in 8 of the past 13 seasons isn't working for the fans or the franchise. So they are trying to do something different to change it.

Yet you call it "unethical". Give us all a small break, please.

FWIW, the Dolphins lost the first game they played against the Patriots last season by a score of 38-7. This past Sunday, they lost 43-0 -- which might easily have been 29-0 if not for 2 pick 6's one of which was a lucky carom.

I don't see much of a difference despite the fact the FO was trying to field the best roster possible last season and not so much this season. So how much does it really matter? Seriously??

This is an equally poor argument.

Players are employed to play football. They all get paid quite handsomely to do it. If at any time they don't want to do it, they can retire and choose to do something else. Nobody is forcing them down any path.

Most players go an entire career w/o participating in a SB or even seriously competing for a championship. Many rarely, if ever, get to play in a playoff game.
Does any of that change the fact that they "risked injuries which could end their careers" ?

Yatil Green's career essentially ended in MIAMI the first day he ever set foot on a field for mini-camp. Never even played a single pre-season game in his career before it happened.
Injury can happen at any time and isn't usually fair or even in the realistic pursuit of championship glory.

Misfortune of playing on a bad team? Doesn't matter. Suit up and play. Or quit, forgo all that money and choose to do something else.
The difference between those losing seasons and this one? They were actually TRYING to win. But because of bad coaching, lack of talent and mediocre QB play, they couldn't win. This year, they are literally taking a dive, laying down, throwing games, disrespecting the game, disrespecting season ticket holders, disrespecting the efforts of the players on the field. And this is the last time I am going to address this. Because some of you are just too bone-headed to comprehend what being a competitor is all about. I played this game throughout my teen years. It is physically demanding. And I have no respect for an owner or coach who run their players out on the field to just to take a dive. In the words of Herm Edwards "You play to win the game, you don't play it just to play it".

The difference between those losing seasons and this one? They were actually TRYING to win. But because of bad coaching, lack of talent and mediocre QB play, they couldn't win. This year, they are literally taking a dive, laying down, throwing games, disrespecting the game, disrespecting season ticket holders, disrespecting the efforts of the players on the field. And this is the last time I am going to address this. Because some of you are just too bone-headed to comprehend what being a competitor is all about. I played this game throughout my teen years. It is physically demanding. And I have no respect for an owner or coach who run their players out on the field to just to take a dive. In the words of Herm Edwards "You play to win the game, you don't play it just to play it".

Unfortunately I have never been able to see what being a competitor is all about, because I've only followed the Dolphins for the past couple decades.

Depends on your definition of tanking. I view it as the coach and players purposely throwing games. I don't see that. Not having good enough players at every position is not a tank. Every team suffers from that somewhere on their roster. We have a higher percentage of below average players in starting positions than most teams. Is that unethical? Absolutely not.

Great post, dont tell this to the we're tanking crew, they'll take their marbles and run home.

The tank sheeple read we're tanking on the internet so it must be true.

Teams like NE don't care about ethics or the optics of doing the things they do in order to win or have advantages over opponents. So why should we?

Yep. I hate it, and I’m embarrassed by it. It’s a cheap way to (hopefully) get good. I’d absolutely hate it if another team was going it as blatantly as the Dolphins. I’d probably even be wondering why the league are allowing it. But I do get why it’s being done.

I reserve the right to change my opinion in the future dependant on results. If we’re in a Super Bowl in 3 years I won’t be complaining.

Pretty much my opinion.

What's funny I'd bet a good portion of fans who were bitching when the Colts did it in 2012 are embracing when they think Miami is tanking now.

Dont hold your breath on that 3 year superbowl, we may be competitive in 3 but superbowl we'ed be lucky to reach it in 5 with this type of dismantling.

What we are doing is a forfeit. A team could go out and refuse to play a few starters, or something that teams do at the end of the season when home field is locked up and that last game doesn’t matter, they don’t play to win. That’s a tank or a game that has no consequence except bad things can happen so you PLAY safe. You still play and if your second string can win, so be it. This is forfeiting a season. And charging full price. It is not fielding a team worthy of playing NFL games. We are going to the extreme to the point where I believe the NFL will take a pick from us for punishment. We are pushing it to unheard of blatant extreme. We did have a one win season, without the fire sale for picks and we see that nothing good really came from our drafting at the top in one draft. We were still mediocre. This is an attempt to go all in and cheat the fans out of an entire season. I think the league, the other owners, the advertisers, the business end steps in and says this is not going to be allowed.

Unethical or not, there's a lot of unethical behavior going on in the league now and in the past. Anyone remember Curtis PAinter?

This is the only way to break free from the 6-10/9-7 vortex; if it were the Patriots, our critics would be calling it "brilliant"

The team has lacked cohesion more than even talent so far this year. That's to be expected with such a high roster turnover, especially along the O-line days before their first game. There will be more dysfunction leading to more blowouts this season, but I think we'll see a team start playing together soon enough. They're still going to suck, but they've just played two of the top teams in the conference.

As for trading Tunsil and Minkah, we had entire threads here where most were on board with moving LT for 2 1sts. We actually got a 2nd thrown in, which is what we paid for Stills 4 years ago. It's a solid trade. Stills was never going to be a part of the future. They didn't move LT to tank, but because they were overcompensated for him. As for Minkah, he's a great young talent but if you don't want to be here then GTFO. I'll be interested to see how high that pick becomes.

What we are doing is a forfeit. A team could go out and refuse to play a few starters, or something that teams do at the end of the season when home field is locked up and that last game doesn’t matter, they don’t play to win. That’s a tank or a game that has no consequence except bad things can happen so you PLAY safe. You still play and if your second string can win, so be it. This is forfeiting a season. And charging full price. It is not fielding a team worthy of playing NFL games. We are going to the extreme to the point where I believe the NFL will take a pick from us for punishment. We are pushing it to unheard of blatant extreme. We did have a one win season, without the fire sale for picks and we see that nothing good really came from our drafting at the top in one draft. We were still mediocre. This is an attempt to go all in and cheat the fans out of an entire season. I think the league, the other owners, the advertisers, the business end steps in and says this is not going to be allowed.
Guess it sucks then that there’s nothing the league, the other owners, the advertisers, the businesses, or the whiners on here can do to stop the tank this year.

If they decide to go to a lottery because of this, so be it, but I would love to know how they would go about this investigation. Miami is playing within the parameters given by the league. Who can say for sure Tunsil was a part of a tank job when Houston was relentlessly looking to give their valuable picks away?

It's not like they called Houston & told them "hey we are tanking, give us a 5th rounder and we'll send you Tunsil".

Again, no coach or player is trying to lose.....the FO removed all the talent to make that possible.

And the bizarre line combos for unexplained reasons?
Starting the worse guy identifying as a QB ...again?

Back
Top Bottom