What Fins jersey would you buy? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Fins jersey would you buy?

I'm only 5'9 so I definetely would have to get a childrens if it was authentic..

Wait, do authentic jerseys only come in like one size? It seems like they only do..

If I'm paying 200+ dollars for a damn jersey I want it to fit!

Ive only owned one Jersey - a Dan Marino classic Teal/Aqua from the 80's. Havent bought another one since....If I had to buy one today, it would probably be a Teal/Aqua Ricky or Chambers.

Heres what bothers me about all these Unis - Since we dont have a doinant color, Sundays at PPS are not as initimidating as say a game in KC - when EVERYONE wears red. I wish the team would make an announcement on what color to wear for the game, so we could all wear the same uniform.

First, my answer to the question...

... the jersey I'd most want to buy is the Champion Throwbacks Vintage Collection Bob Griese. It would go perfectly between my Warfield and my Csonka from that series. I've never yet seen the Griese offered for sale in my size.

Now, in answer to a question I've seen asked; here's probably more than you ever wanted to know about jerseys.

In general, there are two "lines" of jersey: the replica, with the rubberized numbers; and the authentic, with the sewn on numbers. Retail for last year's honest-to-God licensed NFL products is about $65 for replicas, and $250 or more for authentics. Replicas for nearby teams can often be had at your local Foot Locker, authentics will likely require a trip to a major metropolitan area Foot Locker or purchase online. The one cool thing about ponying up the money for the online product is you can get whatever name and number you want.

There are also one-off or special edition jerseys; the Champions throwback series I mentioned and the currently hip Mitchell and Ness repros are examples. The M&N Marinos are the ones that folks most likely see with the ridiculous price tags attached, they've made both a 1984 Marino rookie year repro and a 1994 NFL 75th Anniversary year repro.

Both authentics and replicas are available on eBay and regularly sell for significantly less than retail prices, even when you include shipping. I've never paid more than $190 delivered, for a jersey, and that includes my Csonka autographed authentic. I don't collect the M&N stuff, personally; I think it's overpriced for what it is.

Now... one thing about eBay: some people there don't really know what they're selling. Some other people there are particularly trying to mislead you and take your money.

Authentic jerseys will have the NFL sheild on the collar, beginning in... crap, now I can't remember if it was '91 or '94... '91, I think. On "true" 2002 jerseys, the sheild is now centered in a slightly larger emblem, and appears on both the authentic and replica models.

Very often, blank authentic jerseys are customized by sports shops. Not all of them do a good job of recreating the numbers as they actually appear on the Dolphins' uniforms (there's a whole buttload of 4's made for white jerseys that have the shadow "inside" the loop of 4 going the wrong direction, for instance, I've seen both Chambers and Thomas jerseys with that defect; there are some that use a serifed font that looks nothing like the Dolphins' sanserif; and I've seen a few that do the blue shadow as a "bubble" around the other colors, rather than a shadow).

So, in a lot of ways, it's up to you how "real" is real and what you'll pay for that. For instance, a lot of the "authentic" Williams and Seau jerseys available are good-looking fonts on authentic jerseys with the NFL shield... but it's letters sewn onto 2001 style authentic blanks, without the new NFL emblem that would be on the only jerseys those guys could have actually played in.

Another trick is sewing old school names and numbers on recent issue authentic jerseys and calling them "authentic throwbacks." Be sure your aqua Csonka jersey doesn't have the narrow five-color sleeve stripes from recent years, if that's a level of "real" that doesn't work for you. Even my autographed "authentic" Csonka isn't, technically: he never would have worn a jersey with the authentic shield, but that's what they customized when they had the signing (it was the older authentic, at least, with the vintage style logo and sleeve striping). For the price, it was authentic enough, ya know?

I've bought a dozen Dolphin jerseys off of eBay so far, at far less than retail prices. You just have to know what you want, how real is "real enough" for you, and be able to recognize it in the pictures and descriptions... then wait 'til your jersey comes along.

And hope I don't want it more than you ;).

Jeff
www.jjewell.com

Next on my list is McMichael, white or Aqua.

...I have a Marino in white from the early 90's, Current Williams in both Aqua and white, JT in Aqua, ZT in white and CC in aqua.

I saw a McMichael in the Sports Authority downtown Miami (short stroll from Bayside) when I was there in January, but it was sadly too small. Some good fan gear there aswell.

I also want an Orange shirt - but I suspect it may only be produced in quantities for RW and ZT. Junior may prove me wrong. Still an RW in Orange completes the set for me :D

I have to say I will get an authentic one day, but I think it will be an AFC pro bowl shirt in the name/number of a suprise call-up (go McMichael).

i`m from the uk and dolphins authentic jerseys are impossible to get over here but i have got 3 authentic dolphins jerseys they are:

Dan Marino White Authentic Reebok jersey 2000 version

Jason Taylor White Authentic Reebok Jersey 2001 version

Zach Thomas Aqua Authentic Nike 1999 version

the marino and taylor jersey i purchased from a sports store in the florida mall in orlando for $160 each and the zach jersey i got from e-bay for $75

all great jerseys

but if i were to buy one know i would like an aqua #84 chris chambers or a aqua #34 ricky williams jersey all authentic ones beacause although the new replica kit is better than the old nike version the replicas still SUCK there is nothing like the real thing baby!!!!

wayner

Back
Top Bottom