What Happens If Terron Armstead Retires | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Happens If Terron Armstead Retires

Miami is pressed hard against the cap. They have to make business decisions all over the roster. Paying Lamm 3+ million dollars as a backup wouldn’t be prudent if , as I believe, they already have young capable backups waiting in the wings. Dismiss Hayes all you want, but he was a starter at left tackle for Michigan and is a perfect fit for McDaniel’s offense. He looked really nice in the preseason also. He got caught in a numbers game in Miami when they released him. When he was let go by Indianapolis, Miami pounced at bringing him back on their practice squad. Players like Hayes develop into productive starters all the time in the NFL. He needed a good year of strength training in an NFL system. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see him be a factor on Miami’s roster this season. The only way I would bring back Lamm, is if Miami is unable to land a tackle in the upcoming draft.
You won’t be able to bring him back after the draft because he will be signed in FA before, most likely, so you need to make the decision before.

I wouldn't even spend the money on him as a backup at this point. I would ride with Kion Smith and Ryan Hayes as my backup tackles and probably draft a tackle early in this year's draft.
You are putting a lot of trust in one immobile guy with a total of 70 offensive snaps, and another a rd7 pick with zero.

That's on what you are betting the season, and Tua's survival?

Respect your opinion brother, but that sounds pretty damn risky for someone who's all in.

You won’t be able to bring him back after the draft because he will be signed in FA before, most likely, so you need to make the decision before.
I doubt that. A lot of teams wait until after the draft to add depth players. Lamm will not be an early priority free agent. If he does sign somewhere else, there will be other guys available after the draft equal to Lamm’s ability.

You are putting a lot of trust in one immobile guy with a total of 70 offensive snaps, and another a rd7 pick with zero.

Respect your opinion brother, but that sounds pretty damn risky for someone who's all in.
We are talking about backups. This team has to cut costs somewhere. I’m also counting on Miami adding a piece at tackle in the upcoming draft.

Where do you get that Smith is immobile? He looks like he has the foot speed necessary to play tackle. His best attribute is pass protection and protecting Tua was your number one priority.

I doubt that. A lot of teams wait until after the draft to add depth players. Lamm will not be an early priority free agent. If he does sign somewhere else, there will be other guys available after the draft equal to Lamm’s ability.
I think he played himself into getting signed before the draft, will see how it plays out.

Lamm earned himself some dough last year, either here or elsewhere. He has said repeatedly that he will retire rather than come back on a bare bones deal, so as @AL R said he'll be long gone post draft.

You are conflating two different things.

If the cost of keeping Tua from taking hits is limiting the options the scheme can employ, it is not a good thing. Wouldn't it be better to protect him longer a give him the opportunities other top QBs are afforded?

I guess if the primary goal is only to avoid Tua taking hits, then I guess it was successful. If the primary goal is to have a complete offense where you can spread the ball around and use combo, and longer developing route combinations, and therefore a more diverse offense, then it was not successful, and it was obvious against higher level competition.

If I have to throw the ball in two seconds because I'm deathly afraid of my QB getting hurt, it is extremely limiting in both game planning options, and overall scheme flexibility. Either get a better line or get a different QB. That isn't derisive of Tua, specifically. It is just common sense as a basic philosophy.
Coach do we have time to run Jet Chip Wasp?

Where do you get that Smith is immobile? He looks like he has the foot speed necessary to play tackle. His best attribute is pass protection and protecting Tua was your number one priority.
I see limitations in wide zone run blocking.

What? Team captain, pro bowler who teaches the young kids on the line all the time...ask AJ what he thinks about Terron.
What?
1. He has been a team captain since he arrived
in 2022. In that year, Roberts was going on
his 3rd year as team captain. Dolphins
didn’t have as much talent on the roster as
they do now. You going to anoint him team
captain when he comes in the door and
then take it away?

2.Pro bowl.. We all know the Pro Bowl is a
popularity contest, hell he needed help
completing an event in that one contest. 😂
He has earned 1 All- Pro second team and
that was in 2018 while a member of the
Saints.

3. I would think most Vets who are in the
league would want to help younger
players on their team get better.

When people say that the more successful teams in the NFL tend to be tougher teams, teams which the Dolphins have problems beating, maybe that’s due to them having a different type of philosophy. Maybe those teams don’t sign a player who is a free agent, who has barely practiced the last 2 years with their former team.

I find it funny, Armstead hasn’t practiced much in like 2 years but earlier in the season plays a game in which he is pulling off a celebatory dance in the end zone with his teammates. Good thing he didn’t injure himself in that, being that he is a team captain and all.

What?
1. He has been a team captain since he arrived
in 2022. In that year, Roberts was going on
his 3rd year as team captain. Dolphins
didn’t have as much talent on the roster as
they do now. You going to anoint him team
captain when he comes in the door and
then take it away?

2.Pro bowl.. We all know the Pro Bowl is a
popularity contest, hell he needed help
completing an event in that one contest. 😂
He has earned 1 All- Pro second team and
that was in 2018 while a member of the
Saints.

3. I would think most Vets who are in the
league would want to help younger
players on their team get better.

When people say that the more successful teams in the NFL tend to be tougher teams, teams which the Dolphins have problems beating, maybe that’s due to them having a different type of philosophy. Maybe those teams don’t sign a player who is a free agent, who has barely practiced the last 2 years with their former team.

I find it funny, Armstead hasn’t practiced much in like 2 years but earlier in the season plays a game in which he is pulling off a celebatory dance in the end zone with his teammates. Good thing he didn’t injure himself in that, being that he is a team captain and all.
That's a long reply. I will assume you made some good points 😄

Back
Top Bottom