What Happens If Terron Armstead Retires | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Happens If Terron Armstead Retires

What does that do for his cap number and our cap number? Would we try to sign Lamm (he's a FA) to replace him as he is not Tua's blind side? What other options are there? Draft? Other free agents we could afford?
The front office would throw a party because they could get out from under that silly deal they signed with a guy you cannot rely on to suit up and play! Sadly, I do not expect him to walk away from the money

Sure... I'd sign him if he'll continue to work cheap. I'd even guarantee most of his money, but he's my fall-back option.
You gotta have depth... and he's good depth.
I wouldn't even spend the money on him as a backup at this point. I would ride with Kion Smith and Ryan Hayes as my backup tackles and probably draft a tackle early in this year's draft.

To quote Staley, "the ball was gone Jim, the ball was gone".

To dumb it down, the ball was gone before pressure could arrive, hence why his numbers as you mentioned above look that way.

I will hazard to guess d-line guys pull off their rush once the ball is thrown...even if it means they are NOWHERE near the QB.

Perhaps some analyst can decide what pressure means (within a yard, close enough to smell his armpits and so on) I don't know.

Agreed.

There should also be categories.

I mean, let's face it. If Tua held on to the ball for 2 seconds he was pressured.

It's not like an Allen or Mahomes or other QBS.

If there's a pressure, consistently on a QB within 2 seconds it's not really a fair equivalent to compare that to a QB getting pressured at say 3 seconds.

Mahomes takes a 3 step drop, scans the field. Pats the ball 5 times. Suddenly a defender gets around his blocker. Mahomes runs to his right, hits his WR 20 yards down field. Wow, what an amazing off script play. Did you see that pressure in his face and he still got the pass off.

Tua takes a 3 step drop, already has 1 or 2 defenders beating their blocker he takes a sack. Oh, bum can't make off script plays. Crumbles under pressure.

Get the guy a line and see what happens

Agreed.

There should also be categories.

I mean, let's face it. If Tua held on to the ball for 2 seconds he was pressured.

It's not like an Allen or Mahomes or other QBS.

If there's a pressure, consistently on a QB within 2 seconds it's not really a fair equivalent to compare that to a QB getting pressured at say 3 seconds.

Mahomes takes a 3 step drop, scans the field. Pats the ball 5 times. Suddenly a defender gets around his blocker. Mahomes runs to his right, hits his WR 20 yards down field. Wow, what an amazing off script play. Did you see that pressure in his face and he still got the pass off.

Tua takes a 3 step drop, already has 1 or 2 defenders beating their blocker he takes a sack. Oh, bum can't make off script plays. Crumbles under pressure.
Even after all that he leads the league in passing yardage. It runs much deeper than Tua and he knows it

It’s kind of amazing how brittle TA is. He did string together some games late in the season. If he doesn’t retire I don’t think we have much choice but to milk as much football as we can out of him. Maybe he and Lamm can put together 17 games between than again.

To quote Staley, "the ball was gone Jim, the ball was gone".

To dumb it down, the ball was gone before pressure could arrive, hence why his numbers as you mentioned above look that way.

I will hazard to guess d-line guys pull off their rush once the ball is thrown...even if it means they are NOWHERE near the QB.

Perhaps some analyst can decide what pressure means (within a yard, close enough to smell his armpits and so on) I don't know.
Correct, but I think you missed the point.

Ok what is the point you are trying to get across. Keep it short and to the point. 😂
It's was in the original post.

"Both of his hit AND pressure rates this season were far less than last season. So again I'll ask, do you think last year's line was a lot better than this one? If not, what changed? Tua could afford holding onto the ball for longer, and be pressured closer to 20% like Purdy, Allen, Goff, Stroud, and Herbert all were. The problem is Tua and McDaniel absolutely do not want him hanging in there and taking hits. So this scheme was developed to get the ball out as soon as possible."

Also another thing worth noting is Tua is so bad under pressure, that limiting the amount of times he'd be under pressure is the best thing for everyone.

Miami has two young promising tackles already. Kion Smith and Ryan Hayes. No need to spend the money on Lamm.
You mean the ~3mil they spend for him to be a A+++ backup who ended up starting half the season and did decent?

I’m bringing him back all day, and Kion smith both regardless of TA.

Ryan Hayes is a PS player he’s not even in this conversation.

You mean the ~3mil they spend for him to be a A+++ backup who ended up starting half the season and did decent?

I’m bringing him back all day, and Kion smith both regardless of TA.

Ryan Hayes is a PS player he’s not even in this conversation.
Miami is pressed hard against the cap. They have to make business decisions all over the roster. Paying Lamm 3+ million dollars as a backup wouldn’t be prudent if , as I believe, they already have young capable backups waiting in the wings. Dismiss Hayes all you want, but he was a starter at left tackle for Michigan and is a perfect fit for McDaniel’s offense. He looked really nice in the preseason also. He got caught in a numbers game in Miami when they released him. When he was let go by Indianapolis, Miami pounced at bringing him back on their practice squad. Players like Hayes develop into productive starters all the time in the NFL. He needed a good year of strength training in an NFL system. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see him be a factor on Miami’s roster this season. The only way I would bring back Lamm, is if Miami is unable to land a tackle in the upcoming draft.

Last edited:
Has he been a full participant in the last 5 years? He hardly practiced for us and I believe it was the same in NO.

Even when he practiced, he was listed as limited with shoulder, chest, elbow, knee, and ankle injuries.
Can’t be good for team chemistry, especially the Oline, when he never practices and others come to work the entire year and bust their butts. Probably why the Saints did not resign him.

Can’t be good for team chemistry, especially the Oline, when he never practices and others come to work the entire year and bust their butts. Probably why the Saints did not resign him.
What? Team captain, pro bowler who teaches the young kids on the line all the time...ask AJ what he thinks about Terron.

For what it is going to cost the team whether he goes or he stays, we're better off hoping he comes back and we get whatever we can out of him.

Back
Top Bottom