WHat have we been telling Jet fans? This...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WHat have we been telling Jet fans? This......

bpackers13

Active Roster
Reaction score
Hennessy2710: With mini-camp freshly behind them and training camp just around the corner, the Jets and their fans have plenty of reasons to be excited about Rex Ryan's second season.

LaDainian Tomlinson shouldn't be one of them.

One of Gang Green's more curious moves this offseason was jettisoning Thomas Jones after a 1,402-yard rushing year and signing Tomlinson to replace him.

Tomlinson's low-cost signing had all the makings of a marketing gambit to juice stagnant PSL sales that -- like the Darrelle Revis and Nick Mangold contract scuffles -- are casting a considerable black cloud over the Jets' otherwise promising hopes.

If only the Jets could have signed the 2007 Tomlinson.

Even without pads or contact, it didn't take a grizzled NFL scout to notice in the Jets' recent workouts that Tomlinson just doesn't look like the same player who terrified opposing defenses with his slippery moves and sublime hands for nine seasons with the Chargers.

Tomlinson appears bulkier and definitely a step (or three) slower than he did in his prime, which is to be expected from a running back who next week turns 31 -- increasingly the point of no return in the NFL -- with his incredible amount of mileage.

We're talking about a player with 3,410 touches (combined carries and receptions) who missed just three games combined in his first nine NFL seasons. Indeed, Tomlinson enters this season as the league's active leader in rushing attempts by a wide margin -- 2,880 carries to Fred Taylor's 2,491.

That's a lot of collisions, a lot of wear-and-tear that no amount of blaming the Chargers' offensive line will allow Tomlinson to roll back the odometer on.

Also consider that the two other active leaders in carries with Tomlinson last year, Edgerrin James and Jamal Lewis, both hung it up after the 2009 season.

And to put that in further perspective, Tomlinson has almost 300 more career touches than Eddie George, who -- while admittedly a more straight-ahead, physical runner than Tomlinson -- was burnt to a crisp and out of football by age 31.

Yet Ryan and the Jets act and talk as if Tomlinson is still in his prime, even though LT hasn't averaged better than 3.8 yards per carry each of the past two years and had been reduced to a nothing role with San Diego by the end of last season.

Tomlinson actually worked with the starters at times ahead of Shonn Greene during the Jets' OTAs, and Ryan dropped hints throughout that Tomlinson could have a big role this year.

Tomlinson and the Chargers, particularly GM A.J. Smith, have exchanged insults since Tomlinson's ugly offseason departure, but several NFL executives told me it isn't just sour grapes on San Diego's part.

"If you watch the films from the end of last year, the guy had nothing left," a general manager with multiple Super Bowl rings said last week. "It's not a knock on him personally. All those carries are going to catch up to anyone."

If that role is any bigger than a handful of carries per game while Tomlinson provides locker-room leadership and tutors Greene and rookie third-down back Joe McKnight, then the Jets aren't headed back to the playoffs, much less the Super Bowl.

Deep down, you have to believe the Jets think the same thing.

Great signing Rexy. Someone for Dansby to have a field day on. :up::lol2:

One thing you guys do not realize is that he wasn't signed to be LT of 2007, he's a change of pace backup. He's not our feature back and he does something no RB in 2009 could do for us after leon went down- catch passes. Also note than thomas Jones in 2007 averaged 3.6 YPC, we upgraded the OL in '08 and he averaged 4.5. LT will not be the LT he was a few years ago but he will be more efficient in his reduced role behind this OL.

I love how scared you are of the Jets.

Much like us with a rookie QB the jets depended on their running game to protect him. I am curiuos on first how well you are going to run the ball without Jones and of course how much Sanchez improves. IMO your running game and defense is what really got you where you ended up at the end of the season not Sanchez. We tried to do the same thing but when Ronnie went down it hurt and of course our defense did not rise to the occasion. In the end we had to rely much more on Henne than you did on Sanchez.

One thing you guys do not realize is that he wasn't signed to be LT of 2007, he's a change of pace backup. He's not our feature back and he does something no RB in 2009 could do for us after leon went down- catch passes. Also note than thomas Jones in 2007 averaged 3.6 YPC, we upgraded the OL in '08 and he averaged 4.5. LT will not be the LT he was a few years ago but he will be more efficient in his reduced role behind this OL.

i respect the jets but to say we are scared is hillarious. yes im shakin in my boots over the ota champs.

I didn't SAY anything. I posted something off YOUR teams website. And that quote was posted by a JETS FAN!!!!!!!! Obviously we Dolphins fans aren't the only ones that KNOW LT IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scared? LMAO!!!!!!!!! You sir are now, in my book as CRAZY!!!!!!!!! Nothing to be scared of on your team, thats for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But good try..... PAPER CHAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't tell me you feel more comfortable with your RB core this year than last, even with another year under Greene's belt

Tomlison is done...............thats why he went to the jets, to look good in a done team.

I think he's season will be allright. His recieving skills are definitely an upgrade over a roster without him and leon washington but keeping Thomas Jones. But if Jets are gonna pound him between the tackles they are in for a disappointment..

their next rude awakening will be that the high mileage odometer reading on JT is sadly accurate :up:

30w60lw-1.jpg

Much like us with a rookie QB the jets depended on their running game to protect him. I am curiuos on first how well you are going to run the ball without Jones and of course how much Sanchez improves. IMO your running game and defense is what really got you where you ended up at the end of the season not Sanchez. We tried to do the same thing but when Ronnie went down it hurt and of course our defense did not rise to the occasion. In the end we had to rely much more on Henne than you did on Sanchez.

Absolutely our running game and D were the biggest reasons we made the title game but the QB growing up in postseason was essential as well and the RB we rode late in the year and in postseason was Shonn Greene not Thomas Jones. I loved Jones and I wanted him back but I am ok w/ LT as a backup, a guy who can ctach balls out of the backfield and a veteran presence for the young RBs.

We will not be running as much b/c the QB has experience and we have more weapons in the passing game but I expect the run game will be just as efficient as far as YPC goes.

I didn't SAY anything. I posted something off YOUR teams website. And that quote was posted by a JETS FAN!!!!!!!! Obviously we Dolphins fans aren't the only ones that KNOW LT IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scared? LMAO!!!!!!!!! You sir are now, in my book as CRAZY!!!!!!!!! Nothing to be scared of on your team, thats for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But good try..... PAPER CHAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That "article" was some trash from the NY Post written by some unknown writer trying to make a name for himslef. An article like that should have been written when we signed him not now when he hasn't done anything good or bad to praise or knock him.

You are scared, you post about us constantly. It's ok to admit it and if you don't we can see it w/ your posts.

You can't tell me you feel more comfortable with your RB core this year than last, even with another year under Greene's belt

My concern is probably the same concern you have for Brown- can he stay healthy for a full year as the top back. He clearly emerged as our top running back late last year and he was a huge reason we held a 2nd half lead in the title game and it wasn't a coincidence that after he got hurt the game really turned.

A year ago I felt better going into the season but I feel the ceiling is much higher for our RBs this year- specifically Greene.

I think he's season will be allright. His recieving skills are definitely an upgrade over a roster without him and leon washington but keeping Thomas Jones. But if Jets are gonna pound him between the tackles they are in for a disappointment..

He wasn't signed to be LT 2006, he brings a dimension to the offense we lacked after Leon went down and that is a receiving threat out of the backfield. He is going to have an impact on our offense.

nyjunc: That "article" was some trash from the NY Post written by some unknown writer trying to make a name for himslef. An article like that should have been written when we signed him not now when he hasn't done anything good or bad to praise or knock him.

You are scared, you post about us constantly. It's ok to admit it and if you don't we can see it w/ your posts.
It seems that we play eachother 2 times a year. When someone (whoever it may be) writes something about your team, especially when it pretains to something that we as Dolphin fans have been telling you since you guys signed LT, yea...... you bet I'm going to post it. It's the most boring part of the offseason, so I think I speak for a lot of Fin Fans when I say I HATE THE JETS, and bad news for them is great news for us!!!!!!!!! GO DOLPHINS!!!!!!!!!!

A year ago I felt better going into the season but I feel the ceiling is much higher for our RBs this year- specifically Greene.

What do you see in Greene that makes you feel so good about him this year?

So Shonn Greene is your feature back? A second year nfl player with 500 yards rushing under his belt. LOL that is funny is He11. Unloading Jones is a huge freakn mistake and will cost you guys dearly. LT is done and has been for 2 years and now your second year QB Sanchez will have to produce which will never happen. Scared heck no, your offense will be laughable at best this year.

I'm still glad that Thomas Jones is out of our division. The Jets not resigning Jones and trading away Washington is extremely beneficial to us. Washington was probably the smartest guy you had on that team and he was one of the best change of pace backs in the game.

Back
Top Bottom