What Houck Really Wanted to Say | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Houck Really Wanted to Say

I wouldn't say we're a goldmine. Kansas City is a goldmine. Philadelphia is a goldmine. We were the worst OL in the league last year. Granted we were very young and very poorly coached. We weren't as bad as we played IMO. But we aren't a goldmine.

My interperatation of Houck's comments were that Carey is improving, Houck's not 100% sold on him, but he has the highest ceiling of any player capable of playing the position. I also don't necessarily believe when I read that Houck says Carey's best position is LT. I think he could dominate at guard and would be a better RT. But I guess we'll see. :)

I think Houck is pleased with Hadnot and McDougle on the right side. I think he's pleased with the amount of depth we have.

Overall I think he relishes the challenge of helping this willing unit come back from all they endured last year.

ChambersNBoston said:
more talent than SD line...as much potential as Dallas line.

Hey guys, havent posted in a while but saw this thread and just had to react. Just an observation...

One thing people seem to forget is that it took Hudson H. 3 years to rebuild the Chargers line.

More talent than San Diego? Fonoti? Roman Oben? Mike Goff? Nick Hardwick? Shane Olivea? Granted Hardwick and Olivea were rookies but dont forget these were players HH picked himself. Shane Olivea and Nick Hardwick I think was part of the all-rookie team. They were truly diamonds in the rough that we got lucky on, or something AJ knew that others didnt. No offense, but name me one person on the Fins line thats better than Fonoti? McIntosh is HORRIBLE! Why do you think HH wanted him out of San Diego so quick?

Mike Goff (knock on wood) has been CONSISTENT the past 5 years, he's missed 3 games the past 5 YEARS. Although Roman Oben has years on him, he was absolutely amazing last year. Yes, he was abused by D.Freeney and Simeon Rice, but beside those 2, he held the left amazingly.

Yes, HH is a great coach, but honestly, it will take him at least 2-3 years to get the PLAYERS he wants on the line, not the remaining stragglers left behind. What I foresee is HH rebuilding a line for the Fins that will take 2-3 years that will grow with Feeley. Give Feeley a line and he'll be a pretty good QB. Keep McIntosh on the line and be prepared for false starts, and hands for turnstiles. Last thing, DRAFT O-LINE next year!

Should I even comment on POTENTIAL as the DALLAS LINE? :eek:

Justasportsfan said:
It doesn't bother me. Try to be objective in your optimism. If Houck thought the fins OL was a goldmine, why didn't he keep DMac w/ the chargers last year?
Last time I checked, OL coaches don't make the decisions on which players come and go. Did I miss something or was Houck the GM last year of the Chargers? :goof:

L.T.21 said:
Hey guys, havent posted in a while but saw this thread and just had to react. Just an observation...

One thing people seem to forget is that it took Hudson H. 3 years to rebuild the Chargers line.

More talent than San Diego? Fonoti? Roman Oben? Mike Goff? Nick Hardwick? Shane Olivea? Granted Hardwick and Olivea were rookies but dont forget these were players HH picked himself. Shane Olivea and Nick Hardwick I think was part of the all-rookie team. They were truly diamonds in the rough that we got lucky on, or something AJ knew that others didnt. No offense, but name me one person on the Fins line thats better than Fonoti? McIntosh is HORRIBLE! Why do you think HH wanted him out of San Diego so quick?

Mike Goff (knock on wood) has been CONSISTENT the past 5 years, he's missed 3 games the past 5 YEARS. Although Roman Oben has years on him, he was absolutely amazing last year. Yes, he was abused by D.Freeney and Simeon Rice, but beside those 2, he held the left amazingly.

Yes, HH is a great coach, but honestly, it will take him at least 2-3 years to get the PLAYERS he wants on the line, not the remaining stragglers left behind. What I foresee is HH rebuilding a line for the Fins that will take 2-3 years that will grow with Feeley. Give Feeley a line and he'll be a pretty good QB. Keep McIntosh on the line and be prepared for false starts, and hands for turnstiles. Last thing, DRAFT O-LINE next year!

Should I even comment on POTENTIAL as the DALLAS LINE? :eek:

I tend to agree with almost everything you said. Except, I don't think it wll take 3 years.

Nublar7 said:
Last time I checked, OL coaches don't make the decisions on which players come and go. Did I miss something or was Houck the GM last year of the Chargers? :goof:

Whats up Nublar:

Yes technically OL coaches dont make decisions, but you better believe their opinions and observations CARRY A LOT OF WEIGHT!

For example:

AJ SMITH: Hows Mcintosh looking these days?
HH: Well, besides being constantly bull rushed and the guaranteed false start, he's ok (if that).
AJ SMITH: Well, is he worth keeping or should we look elsewhere?
HH: Well, we've given him plenty of opportunities, but it might be time to move on and give someone else a shot, especially how important the position he plays in.

What Im trying to say is that the GM does not make any decisions without getting the opinion or perspective of their positions coach.

PhinKev said:
I tend to agree with almost everything you said. Except, I don't think it wll take 3 years.

It could take this year, but normally it takes 2-3 for the O-line to gel, especially with the new O-line personnel that your front office will hopefully select next year.

Plus, also take into account the new system he'll install. New terminology, new scheme, new calls, new audibles, new reads, etc....One thing thats nice you're starting with is R.Browns capability to block in the backfield.

Nublar7 said:
But they have a say as which players they want to keep. Do you honestly believe that GM's hire who they want without asking input from the coaches?

EDIT: What LT.21 said.

Justasportsfan said:

You'll go bald scratching that long!

Anyways, I think i'm going to sit back and wait until the pads get on before we make any assumptions. We all know that they have skills, but it's the brain powers that they lacked last year.

:icecream:Here's to a line that can actually block!

Justasportsfan said:
It doesn't bother me. Try to be objective in your optimism. If Houck thought the fins OL was a goldmine, why didn't he keep DMac w/ the chargers last year?

I am objective. I never said our o-line is a goldmine or anything. I just said I am optimistic about this year's o-line. I didn't know I had to explain myself.

Trackstar said:
I am objective. I never said our o-line is a goldmine or anything. I just said I am optimistic about this year's o-line. I didn't know I had to explain myself.
If I was a finfan and said the same thing would you talk smack about the bills? Regardless of whatever fan base you belong to, reading too much into an interview and coming up w/ your own interpretation is up for discussion.

Who knows , maybe that "smirk" was because he farted .

Justasportsfan said:

Bull$hit it does bother you...you're always the first Bills fan to respond with :shakeno: :confused: :eek:

you like to nit-pick at everything...especially if its a positive post about the Fins...Remember this is a Miami Dolphins message board...

If a FinFan posts something positive...you are the first to label them as Homers...I never went to a Bills message board and have no desire to do so but I'm sure there are a whole bunch of Bills fans that are upLosmansazz.

The real question is...why are you on a Fins message board so damn much?

I can see why...everything about the Miami Dolphins has and always will be better than the Buffalo Bills...of course we have the more intelligent posters here and the better website...no doubt about it...and the better team/organization.

How do you know that Houck didn't want to keep him? You always act as if you know everything. How do you know it was his decision to let McIntosh go? Maybe he felt what he had was better...right? Maybe McIntosh will not be the starter at LT and we might want to keep him as a back-up...could that be it? What are you the fing GM of the San Diego Chargers?

Go Fins!!!

Sal Lisitano said:
Bull$hit it does bother you...you're always the first Bills fan to respond with :shakeno:

The real question is...why are you on a Fins message board so damn much?

Go Fins!!!
Because it bothers you that I am here :shakeno:

:lol:

Justasportsfan said:
Because it bothers you that I am here :shakeno:

:lol:

Are you the GM of the Chargers? No...it does not bother me but you always have something to say as soon as a FinFan posts something positive ON A FINS message board. WTF is that all about? He made an assumption...that how he felt about the interview...and then you post this :shakeno:

Go Fins!!!

"The Plan" one year later

The "Plan" was to get A. J. Feeley, who has a cannon for an arm, get people who can lean and push on people on the O-line and wear them out, get people who can run the Ball (we now have two and we didn't know Rickie would take a year off). Wear people out with the running game and then throw to the guys that can run under it (We didn't know Boston would go down early). By about the 5th or 6th game of the season I expect A. J. to Boston or A. J. to Chambers to be a feared throwing configuration that will burn our opponents every time the defense tries to cheat and sneak up on the line to stop the running game. Fake to the RB, oh no, he faked it, oh no, Boston is streaking, on no, Feeley really can throw it that far, oh no, touchdown.

WOW!

In this corner, wearing the red trunks with blue and white trims, representing the great white north Buffalo standing at 11,254 posts, Justasportsfan.

On the opposite corner, representing South Beach, wearing green trunks with orange trims, standing at 1905 posts, Sal Lisitano!

Looks the gloves are off!

Back
Top Bottom